1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Rangers Ballpark gets roasted on Twitter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jun 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I recant what I said about sucking it up, too. I talked to my good friend who is a diehard Rangers fan and he set me straight. I guess there is a 'too hot' even when you're drunk (which is really worse).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

HA! Man I played that game all of the time back in the day. I loved the bunt for HR glitch!

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

This one was better

arkoe likes this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He's not a die-hard Rangers fan..If you gave me a free Sunday ticket, I'd go..and I'm an Astros fan.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They went with artificial turf... a non-paneled/sectional roof that doesn’t tuck away... dark interiors with their natural light windows obscured by seats... a restaurant as their home plate backdrop... a parking lot as their “surrounding neighborhood”... and all the while they’re getting the city of Arlington to fit the bill.

I thought the Miami park and situation was worse, but I was wrong.

Nook, desihooper and arkoe like this.
  6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it was the camera angle, but some of seats on the third base line/mezzanine look like they don't angle into home plate. Did anyone else see that?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Imaged spoiler'd for size... and content.
    [​IMG]
    You're right... they seem to be looking at RF. Also, what's up with the empty space in between area where the stands jut out along the 3B foul line and the seats? Between that, and the restaurant behind home plate, and the "increased" foul area, seems like they made a conscious effort to keep fans further away from the actual field (not closer).

Works out well during a pandemic when there are no fans anyways... but if they're ever in a big playoff game again, seems like it would diminish the effect of a sold out crowd. Additionally, field-level suites don't ever seem to work out in terms of creating a HFA or raucous atmosphere... in any arena or stadium.

desihooper likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Bullpen that's unfinished?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No, bullpens in the OF. I guess they do need a camera well, and maybe since the area behind home plate was replaced with a restaurant, this is to make up for that...

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I know I am in the extreme majority here, but I don't think it's that bad. It's definitely much better for the fans than their old park. The outside is disgusting, but I think the inside of the stadium is pretty cool (aside from the ridiculous restaurant behind home plate). The interior kind of reminds me of the diamondbacks stadium.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I can't wait to check it out when the Astros come to town (post-pandemic of course)

The courtyard in front is shared with a pretty cool entertainment complex called Texas Live
    [​IMG]

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That looks pretty sweet

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty sure the Rangers own that complex... its basically just an extension of the stadium.

Its the new model in sports stadiums. Atlanta did something similar. St. Louis has one as well. No longer relying on building in a city center and spurring independent development by private businesses... and the team garners more profits. The downside is the type of vendors that will actually occupy these spaces, likely to be a revolving door of sorts.

14. donkeypunch

They built that Texas Live entertainment area because of the debacle of hosting the Super Bowl. There wasnt anything to do for the fans after they traveled from dallas to arlington. All in all, it was smart to build it, to further their chances at big events, and arlington as a city to entertain, aint it.

dmoneybangbang and BossHogg713 like this.
  15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I've been here, it's a pretty cool spot.

16. dmoneybangbang

I believe Crane owns some land by Minute Maid that he's trying to add some entertainment (bars and food).

I live in Austin and the experience at Minute Maid and going out afterwards is pretty good, especially since pre Covid downtown Houston was getting lively.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yeah, I believe Jerry Jones had a big hand in Texas Live. Arlingtion as a whole actually has some cool spots closer to Downtown Arlington (about 2 miles away), but nothing right by the stadiums. They have a decent brewery, a really cool Tiki bar, a great Arcade called Free Play that has an excellent craft beer selection, a few really great bars like Caves Lounge, and some cool restaurants like Babes and the Flying Fish.

18. donkeypunch

Do you have to fight off the methheads first to get to either of those spots?

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

DFW people: What's the local nickname for this place?

-The Grill
    -The Casserole Dish
    -The Barn
    -Bubba's Feed Lot
    -It

???

20. Buck Turgidson

Yes, and?

Seriously...littering and...littering and...littering and...