1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Phone - Which One?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hkEvo, Oct 15, 2010.

?

Which phone?

1. Motorola Droid 2

46.9%
  2. Samsung Galaxy S

53.1%
  1. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

I just found out I can upgrade my phone with Verizon and have narrowed it down to two phones: the Motorola Droid 2 vs. the Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate). In a weird coincidence, my dad got an e-mail from Verizon today saying I could get either phone for $99.99 with a new 2 year contract. I've looked at both phones and I think both are very nice, but I'm trying to decide between a physical keyboard/touch screen vs. only a touch screen.

What are your experiences with each phone and which one would you suggest getting? I know Samsung has the Galaxy S with every major carrier, so if you've got one, please post your opinions on the phone. Thanks!

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

is the new droid a thinner/lighter phone?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

* is this a "need" or a "want"? :confused:

The Galaxy. :eek:

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the galaxy is nice, but i like having an actual keyboard

5. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

If you don't want a keyboard, I'd get the Droid X. If you want a keyboard, get the Droid 2. The Galaxy S is really nice, but on the Verizon version(Fascinate) they put Bing on it. You can still get most of the Google stuff back through the Android Market, but still it's annoying since I think the search button is stuck on Bing Search widget even after you download the Google Search widget from the Market. Plus the Droid X and the Droid 2 have already been updated to Android 2.2 (Froyo), while the Galaxy S still hasn't been updated yet (Though it should be in the next few weeks).

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Froyo started rolling out today on the Galaxy phones. Did not know they Binged it up, go with the Droid 2 if that's the case. I have a Galaxy S by the way. And ya, Droid X is probably also something to consider if you want a big screen. Actually I think the Galaxy has the smallest sized screen you'd want on a new media geared phone.

If I was on Verizon, Ideally I would want the Samsung body running the Droid 2 software.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Samsung looks nicer and much simpler. Besides I've had very bad experiences with Motorola since the early 2000's so I'm biased against them.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would wait. A new HTC phone is coming out next month that is suppose to be nice.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Windows 7 phones in general may be something to wait on. Just to make sure you're making the right decision. Cover all bases. Although I heard Verizon may not be getting them for awhile.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I have a Galaxy S and I love it.

11. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

I have a similar situation, but I dont know what to get. Either the droid x (updgrade) or terminate my contract and get an iPhone4...lets just say my verizon bill is raping my wallet.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been month-to-month with AT&T now since July, and I'm waiting for the early Windows 7 phones and to see what app support they have as well as the reviews by users. I've decided to wait and see what the next batch of Windows and Android phones are going to look like in the next couple of months. It helps that Apple fixed a lot of the bugs that originally made my 3G iPhone borderline useless after upgrading to iOS 4. At least I can use it while I wait for something else. I haven't really found any other phone out there worth the upgrade - at least not for my needs.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I have a Droid 2 and I love it.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most of these phones are nearly the same spec-wise. The skin and ui plus or minus some hardware perks are the main difference.

In other words, you can't go wrong if you're not a picky guy (ie must have keyboard, front facing camera, etc...)

15. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

Wow. The poll is actually even! :eek:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not too picky when it comes to hardware, which is the reason for this poll :grin: . Things like a keyboard aren't mandatory (I've been using a Samsung Omnia for the past year and a half), but it's a plus to have one.

Anyway, I got a voice mail from my dad this morning and it seems he did some research (talking to Verizon people maybe?) and it seems that there are lots of customer complaints about the Galaxy S freezing. Could anyone provide any input on that? He also said stuff about not being able to replace Bing on the Galaxy S, but IIRC from the AnandTech review, they were able to replace it. Again, thanks for any help.

16. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Your name holds the answer....lol. Go with the evo, and quit getting over charged for your services. I have an evo, and my wife has the galaxy. I absolutely love the screen on the galaxy. Watch a movie like avatar on it and get blown away. Other nice attributes are its smoking fast processor, which once 2.2 rolls out is only going to murder everything else out there in all benchmarking. I actually like the touchwiz 3.0 UI as it has a lot of "makes it easier" features built in.

The only sour spots are the numerous times I have to push the bottom capacitive bottoms on the bottom sometimes to get it to work, and the spotty gps which has been mostly fixed with an update. Also wish the screen was a tad larger.

But its an awesome machine all in all.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I love my evo...but it has major issues as well.

It freezes quite a bit. Whenever I click on a certain text message thread there is a tendency that it opens a different one instead of the one i clicked on. The battery life is utterly ****.

on topic: I would wait a bit longer if I were you. If you need something now, go for the Droid 2
    If I was you dude i'd go for the droid

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

cell phOOOOWWWWWWWNNNEEEED!!!

sorry...it's habit, now.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you really want to learn about cell phones and how people like them or hate them, check out phonescoop.com or howardforums.com. All you wanted to know about carriers and phones, all day, all the time.