1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Orleans-area students

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuperS32, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

For those of us that attend school in New Orleans - do ya'll know what's going to happen this semester? Tulane, I know, is flooded pretty badly, and New Orleans is supposedly "inhabitable" for maybe 2 months. I know Tulane has campuses in Jackson State and I think LSU (not sure), so we'll probably starting the year there (which really sucks for the freshman who'll be missing orientation) most likely if things are as bad as people are saying.

What about all those high schools, or LoyolaU or Butler (LA) or UNO? Anyone have any idea what they'll be doing? :confused:

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I've heard rumors that the main Tulane campus may be out of commission for one semester. UNO is on the lake, right? Thats not good.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Sorry to hear that..

Hope they have school opened up in a reasonable time span.

I'll go do some corporate finance reading in honor of those who don't get to go to class ... :D

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Where did you hear that Tulane is flooded really badly? If that's true that's really bad news for me.

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Not active anymore..

7. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Tulane University
    Current Status

August 30, 11:45 a.m.

Dear Tulane Faculty, Staff, Students and Friends:

As you all know by now, New Orleans and the surrounding parishes were severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina. The physical damage to the area, including Tulane’s campuses, was extensive.

Unfortunately, conditions in the city continue to deteriorate, making it virtually impossible to begin recovery efforts. On a very positive note, in Tulane’s case, we are very thankful that all of our people are safe, including all the students and staff who evacuated to Jackson, Mississippi.

We have started the process of assessing the condition of our campus facilities and determining how long it will take us to reopen. This assessment process will take days because many of the answers will be determined by how quickly the city and its services become operational. The situation is further complicated by the fact that there is no power in the city, water levels continue to rise, all city roads are blocked, and the vast majority of our workforce had to leave the parish as part of the mandatory evacuation order. It is unclear at this time when people will be allowed to return to the city.

Given the uncertainties, we cannot determine at this time when employees and students should return to campus. We will do the best we can to keep you appraised of our situation and progress.

Also, I want to remind you that the university’s main website is not operating at this time and we do not know when we will be able to bring it back on-line. Due to this, the Tulane email system is not functioning. However, this website (emergency.tulane.edu) will continue to have the most up-to-date information about university operations and the Tulane Alert Line at 1-877-862-8080 and 1-504-862-8080 will also have the most current information available. These communication vehicles are the best source of information about Tulane since phone and cell service are unreliable.

I realize that you have many more questions than we have answers at this time. However, I’m sure you understand the complexity and difficulty of the situation we face. Nonetheless, we are determined to move forward as quickly as possible and make Tulane University an even stronger and healthier institution. We have been in New Orleans for 171 years and we look forward to another century in this great city.

Scott S. Cowen

August 29, 1 p.m.

The worst of Hurricane Katrina has now passed through New Orleans and we will shortly begin the process of assessing the condition of our campuses.

The emergency team located on the uptown campus has been in frequent contact with the university's team at Jackson State University. The approximately 400 students who are located there and are accompanied by university officials, are doing well and are safe. Anyone seeking information about these students may call (601) 979-1964.

In the next 24 hours we expect to finalize our plans regarding the resumption of university operations.

As previously announced, classes will begin no earlier than Wednesday, Sept. 7.

Employees, students and parents should continue to regularly monitor this website and the Alert Line— 1-877-862-8080 or 1-504-862-8080.

As of this date the university's main website and the university's email system are not in operation and are not expected to be functional for another 24-48 hours.

August 28, 3 p.m.

Employees
    The date for university employees to report to work will be determined after the storm passes.

Classes
    In light of the projected severity of Hurricane Katrina, we have decided classes at Tulane University will not resume until Wednesday, September 7.

Residence halls
    The date and time for the reopening of the residence halls will be determined after an initial assessment of university facilities after the storm. That information will be posted on this site - emergency.tulane.edu - as soon as possible.

Please continue to monitor the Alert Line at 1-877-862-8080 and 1-504-862-8080 or visit emergency.tulane.edu for updated info. This is the only TU website that will work for the next few days.

August 28, 2005 - 11:30 a.m.

To the University Community:

Tulane continues to prepare for Hurricane Katrina. One step in the process is that we will shut down our email system as of noon today. This will protect the equipment and allow restoration as early as possible.

At this time we do not know when the system will be back in operation. As soon as the email system is back in service, it will be noted on Tulane's emergency website which is housed off-campus and which will remain in continuous operation. The emergency site is: http://emergency.tulane.edu . Please continue to monitor the emergency website for the most up-to-date information.

Another source of information is the Tulane Alert Line, which can be reached at 1-877-862-8080 and 1-504-862-8080.

At this time there is only a handful of people left on campus and we will make every effort to keep in communication with you. So please be patient if you don't hear regular updates.

Stay safe.

Scott

August 27, 2005 - 6 p.m.

The university is now closed due to the approach of Hurricane Katrina. University operations are expected to resume on Wednesday, August 31 and faculty and staff will return to work on that date. Students please note that classes will resume on Thursday, September 1.

Essential employees should remain in contact with their supervisors for their work schedules.

The university initiated its residential student evacuation plan this afternoon and is transporting those students remaining on campus to Jackson State University. There will be a final opportunity for students to be transported to Jackson State tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. Buses will leave from the Reily Center.

For the most up-to-date Tulane information, please continue to call the Alert Line at 1-877-862-8080 or 1-504-862-8080 and to monitor this website.

Our next update will be at 11 a.m. on Sunday, August 28.

August 27, 2005 - noon

Residence Halls
    Residence Halls are tentatively scheduled to reopen at noon on Wednesday, August 31.

Reily Center
    The Reily Recreation Center will be closed at 5 p.m. until further notice.

The next update will be posted at 6 p.m. on August 27.

August 27, 2005 - 10 a.m.

Message regarding university closure
    In response to Hurricane Katrina's shift to the west, Tulane University will close as of 5 p.m. today, August 27. Classes will resume on Thursday, September 1. Tulane employees should report to work on Wednesday, August 31. Essential employees should contact their supervisors immediately regarding their work schedule.

New students arriving on campus for Orientation today should refer to this website for special instructions.

Everyone should begin implementing their personal hurricane plan now.

For the most up-to-date information, please continue to monitor the Alert Line 504.862-8080 or, toll-free, 1.877.862.8080 or this website.

Message regarding move-in and orientation
    In the last 12 hours Hurricane Katrina has made a dramatic shift to the west with landfall likely in southeast Louisiana Monday afternoon or evening. Based on this information, the university has decided on the following:
    1. There will be a special Town Hall meeting at 1 p.m. today at McAlister Auditorium for parents and students who are on campus. President Cowen will discuss the university’s preparation for Hurricane Katrina.
    2. At 5 p.m. today classes will be cancelled until Thursday, Sept. 1.
    3. All orientation activities after the Town Hall meeting at 1 p.m. are cancelled.
    4. New first-year students who are arriving on campus today should make plans to leave campus as soon as possible.
    • If you can leave with your parents today, do so.
    • If you have friends or relatives with whom you can seek shelter, do so now.
    • Students who are unable to leave New Orleans should contact their Resident Assistant immediately for university assistance.
    5. No students will be allowed to occupy residence halls after 6 p.m. today.
    6. For the most up-to-date information on university operations, students and parents are urged to regularly monitor this website or the Tulane Alert Line at
    1-877-862-8080 or 1-504-862-8080.

TODAY ONLY, INFORMATION ABOUT MOVE-IN AND ORIENTATION IS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VICE PRESIDENT OF STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICE AT:
    1-504-865-5180.

August 26, 2005 - 3:30 p.m.
    We are currently monitoring Hurricane Katrina. At this time Tulane University is operating under normal conditions. Please continue to check this website and the Tulane Alert Line 504-862-8080 or, toll-free, 1-877-862-8080 for continued updates. The next update will be posted at 10 a.m. on August 27.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances permitting, the university will communicate with faculty, staff and students via email. Messages will be sent to official Tulane University email addresses.

Parents who are interested in receiving periodic updates about the university should sign up for the Parents Listserv.

Return to the Tulane University home page.

Links and other information found on the normal emergency website are available here.

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I heard about the damage from a friend that works at Tulane Medical School (they have to stay since they work at the hospital and are doing rescue work). The medical school is rumored to be moving students to LSU, and most people think since we (tulane) have a campus in Jackson Stae (don't know how much damage they had), our classes will be started there - I'm sure the freshman that came to Tulane to party will be excited to have their first college semester in Mississippi, lol. :D

Either way, we should all be thankful that no students have been reported missing/injured and that everyone associated with the campus is OK. Let's hope the city has the same kind of luck. :(

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

woohoo, snow day..

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

On a side note, I talked to a buddy of mine that goes to grad school at LSU and he said that they were one of the few (the only?) places that continually had power in that part of Southern LA during the storm. Apparently LSU has its own power plant. Even said they were going to have their home football game as scheduled.

11. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Yeah that sucks for Tulane...and my parents always gave me a hard time for choosing Miami over them.

Well I can't imagine how much it would suck to move in to your dorm, and two days later...no more campus. And it would be awful if students had to stay and learn in Jackson, Miss, quite possibly the ****tiest big city in America. If I were Tulane, I would call off classes for the semester.

They just resumed classes here today at UM because of the large trees that were down all over campus.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...you guys aren't having classes in new orleans this semester. i'd be shocked otherwise, given what we're learning. maybe not even next semester. the mayor of new orleans said he thought it would take a miracle to restore electricity to the city in two months. at this point, it's merely a recovery effort. and until the water stops coming in, that's what it will stay. then there's the cleanup.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It took five months to clear 12,000 acres of water, 12 feet deep near the Sacramento river. Say a month to get the levee repaired first. It took nine months for my parents home to be repaired after Allison, and that was only four inches of water in it. It could easily be two years before things are remotely normal in New Orleans. :(

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not sure how things will ever be normal there again.

after Galveston went under water in 1900, they dredged under the city and literally raised the elevation of the island. that's not an option here. and galveston was NEVER the same again. Houston became Houston as a byproduct of that. i don't know what the future holds for NOLA.

who would insure property there again?

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Freshmen don't really need to worry. For example, if you were an incoming freshman at Tulane from the Houston area, you could just enroll at HCC for the fall semester. It's tougher for the upper class students since UH and Rice have application deadlines. Maybe they will take Tulane students cause of the emergency.

16. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Uhh, no offense to UH (and I know a few people there too anyway), but if I were a Tulane student, I definitely wouldn't want to go to UH, even if it was just temporary. That school (Tulane) is ****ed from here on out for every fall during application time, so I would assume (if all is well by next year), it wouldn't be all that difficult to get in considering there will be so few applicants, and in turn Tulane might unfortunately lose its prestige. But that's definitely not their concern at the moment.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What's scary to think of is - if this storm had hit Galveston it would have been just as bad as the 1900 storm (not loss of life) because the storm surge would go over the top of the seawall ~ it would probably go around the outside of it as well. I'm sure this is why Galveston is what it is today and in turn Houston is the major port etc.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

smokey.. will tulane take HCC credit?

I know all schools won't.. mine won't.. not sure about Tulane..

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

The point of last post was if any Tulane students are considering it.. they should check into it first..

some schools ( probably the schools of more prestige) only take credit from 4 year institutions..

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the tulane green wave.