1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Offensive Coordinator Options?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htown1984, Jan 15, 2013.

1. htown1984

htown1984 Member

rick Dennison is still here, but im really hoping he does find a Coaching job somewhere else... That would be the best thing that could happen to the Texans..
    You know the Texans wont get rid of him (unless of course he leave for a head coaching job)...

We really need a good OC that has the balls to risk it and shake up defenses...

My number 1 option would be Pete Carmichael (Saints), i know hes interviewing for
    Head coaching Jobs, but at the end of the day will have to settle for OC..

Number 2 option Norv Turner (Think he signed with Browns) Not sure though

Who do yall think would be great candidate to push this offense to the limit i
    know they can... (Kubiak is just to conservative.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kubiak isn't going outside of his buddy circle. Maybe Greg Knapp comes back.

3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

this is what is wrong with this organization...Mcnair needs to do the hiring
    like he did with Wade Phillips (Not Kubiaks buddys)

Bringing Kubiak's buddy will still result in that stupid consertative 7 plays they run.
    they need someone that will be the Offensive Coordinator.. He will call the plays not
    Kubiak.. No more vanilla offense..

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think that John Benton, offensive line coach, is generally considered capable of handling coordinator duties, and likely to be promoted if Dennison left. So you should be looking outside for offensive line coach options.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

yes but that what we need to change.. Just like when Wade Phillips was hired.
    From outside not from any Denver Ties or any promotions from within..
    this needs to be done to light a spark on this offense,.. .

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I don't know who, but I just want someone that is willing to not run the same vanilla stuff they have been doing and not actually using the depth we have to its full potential.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think the play calling changes unless the general offensive philosophy of the team changes and that won't change as long as Kubiak is here.

Our philosophy is to get up early and run a ball control offense, controlling the clock and not taking any chances. This used to not be the case. We used to get into dogfights and play from behind a lot. Even if we fell short (thanks Kris Brown), the offense was usually up to the challenge. But when the defense got better, Kubes got more conservative. It's disappointed because we all would've liked to see a "go for the jugular" type offense to pair with our better defense. But you know Kubes has that "play not to lose" mindset. I think playing from ahead for so much of the year might have hurt us at the end because it's like Kubes forgot how to call a game when he couldn't take an early lead and sit on it. It took him too long on Sunday to start throwing caution to the wind.

It seems like our Offense was better when our Defense was worse. Probably because it needed to be. Once the defense picked up some of the slack, Kubes tightened it on offense. A new coordinator isn't going to change that.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Doesn't matter who we bring in. Kubiak will always call the plays.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not necessarily.

He allowed Kyle Shannahan to call plays at the end of his tenure here. Granted, this team wasn't as close to being elite as it is now, but there was a trust there.

If Gary feels HIS offense is in good hands, he will let others be involved. Knapp could easily be one who calls plays if the Texans bring him back.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Mike Martz; if Schaub is gonna run away at the first sign of pressure, it might as well be backwards and part of a 7 step drop.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Does the new OC come with three new OL, a new WR1 and a blocking TE?

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No. Didn't you hear Kubiak tell us that this was the highest scoring offense in Texans history? We're completely fine.

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Yea only against none playoff teams (and when we dont need a win to clinch
    a home field advantage)

This Offense sucked the last 3-5 weeks of the season.. Kubiak's plays
    just sucked down the stretch..

It always seems like when its 3 and 7 or so they throw it for 3 or 4 yards...
    Like they dont want to get the first down.. Even in the Patriots Game, they
    did it a couple of times..
    We need a new coordinator that has guts.. throw it down the field... you have the best WR in the League (USE HIM)

it amazes me they never throw it to him in the Red-Zone..

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Well never mind.. Looks like the Bears have hire a coach...

Dont think Rick Dennison had any meetings for any other team, therefore Rick stays
    :(.... the only way Kubial/Texans would even consider getting a new OC was if he left...

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're right. We should neuter the offensive minded head coach by forcing him to bring in an Offensive Coordinator with a completely different offensive philosophy. That wouldn't be a problem at all with the personnel built around the ZBS. Plus, I'm sure Kubiak would be absolutely thrilled and it wouldn't affect his job performance at all.

This theory of yours is working wonders for the cowboys!

BRILLIANT!

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Yes understand your point.. But look at the bright side (If he doesnt perform well
    Than he would defintaley be out of here after next year....
    (Really just tired of the same play calls) but i do see your point...

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yeah, I was really hoping the Bears would take him but at this point, we should prepare for another season of vanilla plays. Kubiak said that while he himself calls the plays during games, Dennison helps him design them and lead them in practice. To me he has messed up this past few weeks in all but the run game, which given he was an offensive line coach makes sense.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

My goodness, will these threads ever stop...? :rolleyes:

They will NOT be hiring/firing all these people after a 12-4 season. When have you seen this, unless they themselves get hired somewhere else?!?!?

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

thats what we are hoping for... (They get hired somewhere else) and Joe Marciano
    will be fired even after a 12-4 season) ...

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

the offense has steadily declined ever since kyle shanahan left