1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Jersey Nets: 2003 All-Stars Superteam?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 3814, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I feel bad for Shaq, T-Mac, and Iverson for not being able to land anywhere. Sure, they're washed up. But surely they have SOMETHING to offer... no?

I mean, in 2007-08 Iverson was dropping 26.5ppg; McGrady was averaging 21.5ppg, 5rpg, and 5apg; and Shaq was his usual semi-washed-up self (still good for a 12ppg and 8rpg).

Anyways - while I definitely agree that they're washed up, I think it would be awesome to see them unite to show these young punks what they're made of.

I think some garbage team like the Nets should bring in Franchise, Starbury, T-Mac, Iverson, and Shaq on veteran minimums and see what happens.

PG: Devin Harris, Stephon Marbury, Jordan Farmar
    SG: Allen Iverson, Anthony Morrow, Steve Francis
    SF: Tracy McGrady, Travis Outlaw, Courtney Lee
    PF: Derrick Favors, (Lopez), (Outlaw)
    C: Brook Lopez, Shaquille O'Neal

Undressed Reserves: Hassell, Humphries, T. Williams

With a some great young guys around them like Harris, Favors, Outlaw, Lee, Morrow, and Lopez - the old folks wouldn't need to play too many minutes so they could rest their old, aching bones. Yet they could still get out there and prove they have something left in the tank.

Honestly, doesn't that team look like they'd be capable of doing some damage?

It would be an amazing story, sell tickets, and be a lot of fun to watch. So why not?

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Ummmm

Terrence Williams >>>>> Travis Outlaw.

3. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Yeah, probably ditch Francis and keep Williams :)

4. Steve_Francis_rules

Why bother? Everyone already knows what will happen. Either the veteran players will play big minutes and the team will suck anyway (and miss any chance to develop its young players) or the veteran players will pout about not getting enough playing time and eventually get sent packing.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Am I the only one that cracked up when I read this?

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Shaq can't do anything, at least tmac can shoot and get shots other ways, shaq is just big, he can't rely on the broke ass throw the elbow hook shot. iverson is like mcgrady, no longer the player the were and struggling to accept that, but mcgrady has more left than all 3 of them, he is taller than ai so he doesn't have to worry about getting his shot off like mcgrady, both have lost their athleticism, but for a role player mcgrady doesn't need to be effective

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

It's a $4.8-$6 million dollar risk (vet minimum for 4-5 guys) for a billionaire.

Tell the guys they'll have a major role on the team, but that they'll be limited in minutes (T-Mac=30mpg, Shaq=25mpg, Iverson=20mpg, Marbury=16mpg, Francis 12mpg); make it clear that they'll need to be 'team' players and role models for the young guys; and see what happens.

If they start losing from the very start (under .500 after 25 games), ditch the plan.
    If any one of them demands more time or creates issues, drop them.

The risk is only $1.2 million per player. I see it as low-risk, high-potential reward.

If you put your trust in these guys, give them a chance to earn some pride and play their heart out, and go in with big goals... who knows what would happen. Maybe they'd shine?

#7 3814, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

You're canadian.

9. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I can't even really see these guys coexisting on the same team when they were in their primes.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

It is a crazy idea. Probably even better if it's just Shaq, Iverson, and T-Mac...

...but still, you know you'd watch.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

What's the high potential reward? There is no way this team could possibly compete for a title. Do you think making the playoffs and getting swept in the first round is really "high-potential reward"?

This move would prevent the team from building towards anything for the future. So they're not competing now and when these guys are all gone in a year or two, you're still not competing. All you've got to show for it is a couple of mid first round picks (instead of high lottery picks) and underdeveloped young players.

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

retracted comment.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I wouldn't mind it if I was a nets fan.

14. Francis 4 ever

I'm not convinced iverson still doesn't have a lot of game left in his body, with out a doubt more than anyone else on that list.

Too bad he doesn't have a game left in his head.