1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Injury: Pat Beverley sprains his knee (UPDATE: Cleared to play Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 21, 2014.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Maybe this is the rallying cry that we need to finally wake Harden up and shame him into playing some defense. If Beverly is playing on a busted wheel...Harden should have no excuses!

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I feel better

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Marbles. Patrick Beverley has them in abundance.

[​IMG]

4. autoprt

autoprt Member

i feel the same but i think the feeling is related to the fact that knowing bev if he plays he's going to go all out and probably do more damage. even with him sitting on the bench he's so animated he may do more damage, chest bumping and jumping, etc....

5. arjun

arjun Member

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'm worried more for Bev's career at this point. I want him to play and feel he gives the Rox the best chance at starting pg, but I'm afraid he's playing with fire. Its sad he may be feeling and is looked upon to be the savior with a our two "superstars" still able to play in a series with home court advantage against an overall inferior opponent. Howard, Harden and McHale should all be feeling mighty stupid that Bev is having to kill himself to save their asses.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would not start Bev

8. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

What narrative does that dispel? He scored 16 when Bev was on the floor. Lillard was on fire and seemed like it didn't matter who was guarding him.

The simple fact is that Harden & Howard are the only 2 players that truly matter on this team. If they can step up, the Rockets can win with just about any combination of players.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

This is what I have been saying. Ridiculous that our two "Superstars" are not the leaders of this team. WTF are they here for then!?? They pay you leader money and you are leaning on the other "role player" to lead you? Swap their salaries today! Beverley deserves the big money not them.

10. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Man I just don't understand. He was the last one off the court and could barely walk a couple steps without hunching over in pain. I felt so bad watching him cripple his way into the tunnel with his arm around Keith Jones...I thought for sure are playoffs chances were done.

But now he's playing....you think he really is a wolverine?

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If Bev is playing hobbled, I would rather not play him at all.

Gosh, what kind of team do we have when we have to depend on our min salary guys to survive?

Morey, better sign up more defensive players.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Best news of the day, I think the team we rally around him.

13. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

In other news: Lilliard just collapsed in the locker room.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

But thank you, Lord. Bev escaped a more serious injury

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: Patrick Beverley cleared to play Game 2 for the Rockets. http://t.co/tKqce3p2fQ

m.twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not a medical professional so I am going to take the word of the doctors here who know what they are doing. I am sure Bev and his agent would not allow Bev to play if there was a slightest chance of it hurting his long term career nor would the Doctors clear him to play - they have to be honest and accountable for their diagnosis.

17. Convictedstupid

Why not? Pat's usefulness is so much more apparent in the starting line up than off the bench. Who gives a crap if he shuts down Mo Williams if Lilliard is pouring it in on us?

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Yahoo Sources: Patrick Beverley cleared to play Game 2 for the Rockets. <a href="http://t.co/tKqce3p2fQ" title="http://yhoo.it/1pn1iEr" org_href="http://yhoo.it/1pn1iEr">yhoo.it/1pn1iEr</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/458285790351884289" data-datetime="2014-04-21T11:47:01+00:00">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. yummyhawtsauce

good news, but I'm worried for Bev's health. Start bev for limited minutes maybe.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll see a minutes limitation on Pat, nor do I think an extra couple days of rest would help.

The thing to remember with Beverley is that this isn't a normal injury that wears throughout a game. If you watched him closely, until the Aldridge screen, he was moving around as quick as ever. I don't think he was compromised at all. The issue is the instability and chance the knee could "catch" at any given moment. (Personally, even though the Rockets played it off as a hip injury afterward, I think that's what happened on a lesser scale in the final minute of the New Orleans comeback. It was a very similar play to Aldridge yesterday -- Beverley hit the Pelicans big man coming around the screen and it jarred him.)

The bottom line -- it's clear now that Pat needs to have surgery at some point to correct the issue. But unless the MRI shows the tear worsening, Pat and the Rockets have seemingly decided he can play through (or at least until) the occasional "catch" moments. Just a matter of pain tolerance and luck of the draw.

In theory, you could lessen the odds of one of those moments by playing him less. But since it's not a cumulative injury, if that's your logic, you may as well not play him at all. If he's moving around well, as he was for most of Sunday night, I think he plays his normal minutes unless (or until) something new happens.