1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Injury: Pat Beverley sprains his knee (UPDATE: Cleared to play Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ChippedToothLin

He just needs to play smart.... and H&H need to stepdafucup

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

People love an underdog. Bev is the skinniest/weakest kid on the floor, with the biggest heart.

I remember a few years ago when McGrady got injured and he likewise wanted to come back early. Or Sura, when he had a 103 degree flu and played anyway against Dallas in the '05 playoffs. These guys are competitors. If their legs were broken and they were sweating blood they'd still want to be out there.

3. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

Ooh, I didn't realize I kicked over a hornet's nest. I should have read more threads about the PG controversy on here. Thanks for everyone's input.

If both were healthy, I think I'd go with Beverley and use Lin as my scorer off the bench. Your team defense is just so much better with him.

However, if this knee injury limits PB's lateral movement and quickness, then his utility declines. It seems to me at that point, you make the tradeoff and start Lin, hoping that his offense puts too much pressure on Lillard (who is a really bad defender).

It seems to me as well that Lin's ability to drive with the ball really messes with our defense and allows Dwight to receive open passes at the hoop. Obviously, we have no individual answer for D12. And if Lin can drive and then kick to one of your terrific three point shooters, then that creates all kinds of problems for us.

I'll have to watch the games where you put in Lin at the two. We do the same thing with Lillard and Mo Williams. Of course, there's Good Mo and Bad Mo. Last night was most definitely Bad Mo.

The adjustments for Game Two will be interesting to see.

4. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

I don't expect Harden to shoot that badly again this series. He's much too good of a player.

5. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I think a lot of the worry is not as much the dropoff between Bev and Lin but the dropoff between Lin and whoever the new backup is. We aren't really deep in that position after trading away Brooks.

6. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

:confused: Do you even understand how the NBA works??? Beverly knows what's best for himself, and no one, the Rockets organization included, wants him to threaten his career for a playoff series, not to mention in the first round. I think you have some sort of conspiracy theory going on :/

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Great news. I hope he tones down the tenacity just a bit and oh - no hopping around. He needs to be more humble and careful to avoid bs tech and other foul calls. I realize the tech call was total bs as bev was not showing up the ref - but it can happen again.

Rox must win next 2 games!

8. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

See Yao Ming. The difference is that Yao made his millions and could afford being unemployed. Beverley on the other hand would have problems adjusting. Anyway, this "theory" is nothing new.

9. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Same problem here in Houston, theres Good Lin, and Bad Lin. Unfortunately, as of late, there has been a lot more Bad...you could even say really really Bad Lin. For example: His fadeaway over the backboard last night (although he wasn't horrible last night).

In theory, Lin should be our best scorer off the bench, and he has shown flashes that he is more than capable...but it doesn't take much for something to go off in his head, causing him to spiral out of control.

If the Rockets are going to make a run this year, we're going to need solid production out of Lin, which can be scary.

10. jk103

jk103 Member

It's really not an issue of Lin vs Beverly, it's an issue of Beverly/Lin vs Lin/whoever subs in when Lin goes out. Small ball is a huge huge part of what the Rockets do, and having both Lin and Beverly available for their small ball lineups is incredibly important. If Beverly is hobbled or unable to play, you can't just replace him with Lin because Lin is already playing 32+ minutes a game.

11. yummyhawtsauce

Whether he plays or not, I hope his attitude rubs off on the rest of the team, this series is going 6/7 for sure and it's gonna be hell every step of the way

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

They just announced on radio that Beverley will play next game.

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I kinda see ur point. If he re-injures his mensicus and ends up having permanent knee problems, Morey will have no mercy when contract time comes around. Westbrook had the SAME injury and came out played the same game, but the Thunder organization eventually said it's better to rest him. I don't think Daryl Morey thinks like this

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I'm not sure YOU fully understand how the NBA works. Have you heard of someone named Brandon Roy? Didn't he have a well known meniscus injury? Wonder how that worked out for him:rolleyes:

15. HookemHorns1250

I've found myself watching RedRedemptions video with Eminem's song Beautiful Pain...and I automatically think of Beverley.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Good. Lin's a terrible fit with the starters.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets just announced Patrick Beverley (knee) is &quot;likely available&quot; for Game 2 against Portland after medical evaluation earlier today</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/458313443007676416">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rockets press release...

19. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I don't think the Rockets organization and coaching staff is doing Beverley any favors by putting him out there when his knee is clearly injured. That knee has buckled twice now and he is playing well over 30 minutes a game. A second injury could damage his career.

1 person likes this.
  20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I said that earlier when Bev went out. But maybe Lin was just injured. Maybe his back is the real issue and not who he plays with. He had lots of time to rest and he comes back strong in the playoffs. The difference between how he plays at times seems to be health related more than who he plays with.

Still I prefer a healthy Pat to start but he barely walked off the court. I would prefer not to play him if we can win without him. That will give him more rest. Either way you got to activate Canaan.