1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Hot Dog Eating World Record.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ohh yeah.

July 4th is almost here. You know what that means. Fireworks, Barbecue, Pools, and the Nathans Hot Dog Eating contest.

chron link

AP
    A California man smashed the world record for hot dog eating at a contest Saturday, gobbling up more than 59 franks in 12 minutes.

Joey Chestnut, 22, of San Jose, shattered the record held by Takeru Kobayashi of Japan by downing 59 1/2 "HDBs" — hot dogs and buns — during the Southwest Regional Hot Dog Eating Championship at the Arizona Mills Mall in suburban Tempe.

Kobayashi's old record of 53 3/4 was set last year at Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, held at Coney Island in New York, said George Costos, who helps runs the regional contests for Nathan's. Chestnut placed second in last year's world championships.

"He's unbelievable — he just keeps on going," said Ryan Nerz of Major League Eating, which he describes as "a world governing board for all stomach-centric sports."

Chestnut won a free trip to New York, a year's supply of hot dogs and a $250 gift card to the mall.

Hopefully he will enter the Hot Dog eating contest July 4th so he can battle Kobayashi.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

MTV had a true life I'm a competitive eater episode. Kobayashi is crazy. It's digusting how much they can eat.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the last thing I would want after setting the world record is a year supply of hot dogs... :eek:

but I'm sure this was a qualifier and he is headed to Coney Island this year... if he placed 2nd last year and already beat the world record this year, he is a lock to finally dethrone Kobayashi...

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow someone can actually beat that dude.

scarry

5. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

they need a vodka chugging contest.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I am very interested in this. Takuru will slaughter the record. He's Robert Horry, but he plays EVERY DAMN GAME.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

personally, i could only eat two.

a month.

8. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

:::;pukes::::

9. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

Personally, I 'ma Kobayashi fan due to his Jordan/Tiger-like stranglehold on the sport. Go Kobayashi! Bring your "game" to the next level!

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Umm.... video... much of which is people just standing around waiting for the announcement of who won... duh. The announcement comes around the 4:40-4:50 mark, in case you care :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEpvZUqkTss"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEpvZUqkTss" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And if you've never seen a staredown (lol!) in competitive eating, here's Kobayashi and Chestnut staring each other down from last year :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHQvx65qufY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHQvx65qufY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Geez what a lame stare down! I was expecting a Tyson/Holyfield kinda thing where they're both pissed off.

This reminds me of a time when I was like 6 years old and my parents and aunt/uncles were forcing me to take a picture with my 5 year old cousin. "yeah, hold hands!", "Ok, now look at eachother and smile!", "Now make a funny face.. and don't forget to hold hands!"

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I'm still rooting for kobayashi, the dude went up against a freaking klondike bear!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgqbCq_sxmo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgqbCq_sxmo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

kobayashe's gonna eat 70 now. this pretender pissed him off.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

We are one month away.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm kinda intrigued and excited.

16. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

kobiyoshi is gonna break that record. this chump Joey Chestnut is just a pretender to the throne that belongs to Kobeyoshi.

i still cant believe how freakin buff Takeru is.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

I thought a human stomach could barely process/digest red meat as it is...??

My question is... what do 59 hotdogs do to your digestive system..?

I mean.. if these guys can down this much meat in one sitting.. and live on to do the same again.. and live still... Imagine the size of the culprit behind the "strain" that killed Elvis..

Good lord.. :eek:

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always thought they threw up after they were "official". Dunno.

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

My favorite competitive eater is Pat from Moonachie.

20. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Not Kobayashi. Those meat goes straight to his muscles! :)