1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New GM: Dana Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jan 26, 2023.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Exactly what success did Click have? You can point to a few moves here and there, but the vast majority of success during his 3 years here was due to Luhnow’s absolutely insanely successful run as GM.

2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The media that we are hearing this crap from are not playing baseball, they have a game all their own and don't care who is affected by it. Believe less than half of what they say and take that with a grain or two of salt.

3. Yordan The Great

It's not necessarily what you do, but what you don't do.

punkoholic likes this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Linda sounds like you have an axe to grind w Crane. Or you’re actually Click.

One of the two for sure.

raining threes likes this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Welcome to Houston. I wonder what his first move will be. Extending one of the players, filling out the last spot on the 40 man roster by signing a lefty, or perhaps a trade. I wonder if there's anyone on Atlanta he likes(specifically a prospect) that he tries to acquire. But if he wants him, could be good so no point in Atlanta trading the prospect to Houston.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Ausmus was in a 5 way tie for runner up.

-dome sauces

7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

He built the bullpen into a beast, drafted seeming well, and didn’t trade Hunter Brown. I

scott_summers likes this.
  8. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Two of the bullpen arms were his. The rest were Luhnow. Impossible to tell yet if he drafted well.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Press conference

raining threes likes this.
  10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Any info ever come out on contract length?

11. raining threes

LMAO

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

This is why it's hard to tell if Click was a good GM or not. Click walked into something great. He would have been stupid if he destroyed it. He didn't and made some changes here and there and won a World Series. Not his fault the foundation was made by Luhnow. Even Brown, I don't expect him to change anything. Why ruin a good thing. We won't know until a couple of years to see if Click was good or not. It'll be based on how his draft picks pans out. If a few of them pans out, perhaps he was a good gm and if none of them does, perhaps he was ****

What sucks for Click is if he gets a job interview, will teams wonder if he just walked into something great in Houston and didn't need to do much to win in 2022. Was he just lucky? Even if his prospects pans out. Will they just assume it was the Astros development team making them succeed. I do hope he gets a 2nd chance where he can build his team.

#112 punkoholic, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  13. Buck Turgidson

I'm curious...who?

Is Mr. Brown controlled by remote?

Nook likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

It's funny how easy it was to win, yet Astros fans spent the last 3 years complaining so much about every single loss and how everyone from Dusty to Click to the players were failing.

Rileydog, BigM, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. Screaming Fist

I think at the minimum Click was a fairly solid GM, although not at Luhnow’s evil genius level. He had to deal with draft penalties but overall the farm still produces quality, above average MLB players. His latest draft looks promising. He bet wisely on Peña and I believe in time he will be proven right by Meyers if he can get healthy. He also performed fairly well with FA signings and trades albeit with some blemishes (which GM doesn’t?). The Astros also did not fall off in other areas under his watch like player development in spite of a large amount of brain drain over the years.

Overall, he maintained a standard of excellence at a franchise hardly known for it, which is really tough to do, albeit not as tough as building the machine to begin with.

Nippystix, Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I do not trust the media. Sports media is even worse. I would not trust anywhere close to half of what they say.

17. Buck Turgidson

Any info ever come out on contract length?

No offense, amigo, but what does this mean?

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think it is referencing a statement by a poster that if he only received a one year contract, he was not a good negotiator.

But I could be wrong. I'm just happy to have power and internet back.

We got hit hard by the storm in Orange. Transmission lines and substations were damaged. They have done a great job restoring as many customers as they have considering the damage. Typically it's the distribution lines which are most heavily damaged and outages can be isolated. Not this time.

#118 Marshall Bryant, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2022 Bullpen
    Pressly 48.1ip 33sv, 43gf - Luhnow trade
    Montero 68.1ip 14sv, 25gf- Click trade
    Neris 65.1ip 3sv, 25gf- Click FA
    Abreu 60.1ip 2sv, 18gf-Luhnow int'l FA
    Stanek 54.2ip 1sv, 10gf - Click FA
    Maton 65.2ip 0sv, 10gf - Click trade
    Martinez 38.2ip 7gf - Click rule 5 draft
    W.Smith 22.0ip 6gf - Click trade
    Taylor 16.0ip 4gf - Luhnow trade
    Brown 8.1ip 0gf - Luhnow draft.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was talking about the back end of the bullpen... Pressly, Abreu, Montero, Nerris.

Wulaw Horn likes this.