1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New GM: Dana Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry, I guess 2 World Series wins and 1 appearance and 6 straight alcs are real proof of a cheap FO that doesn’t know what they are doing. They are prioritizing the young stars and those that will keep us in the hunt for another decade over older guys with injury concerns that haven’t returned anything near their contracts since they left. They can have their cake and eat it to. We are in the best position to win the next two years than any other team and if we can extend the young studs on the team the next 6 years. You miserable negative takes are obnoxious to say the least.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Everything you say is true.

But the fact remains that, like most owners, Jim Crane has made a decision.

He is happy to stock his roster with players who significantly outperform their salary because they have not reached the service time to get paid what they are worth.

Then instead of committing to pay market value and possibly give that player a chance to " catch up" he moves on.

So. In sumnary: under pay for 6 years and then if there is a risk that a salary in years 7-? may be higher than performance turn your back and bring up another minimum wage player.

What about? Thank you for the World Series championship. You outperformed your salaries by $100M the past 6 seasons so I can afford to risk the chance maybe you get hurt or don't play as well by giving you a couple more years or more money since other teams will do it if I don't

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Is this the Dana Brown thread?

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I guess it morphed into a trade thread.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If we can extend the young studs. Literally exactly what the point of contention is. Brown said it’s his priority #1 which was literally exactly what I’ve been calling for for 3 years. The new guy agrees with me. Go figure.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s so bizarre that people don’t get this. It’s the crux of the matter. We have a new GM who sees the value of extensions early and is a development guy. It’s for the best. But the this here from many seems to be- root for the players. Fall in love with them. **** all over them after 6 years when they are out of indentured servitude.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Crane is doing what is best for the franchise and gives us the best chance of winning moving forward. Blame the players union for negotiating stupid agreements that benefit older guys versus the younger guys. Teams would not be able to give Judge and Verlander 40 million a year if they had to pony up fair market for players a few years earlier. Rookie contacts(aka team control) should be only 4 years like basketball and arbitration should happen after 2 years.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Doesn't sound like it.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Atlanta is known for getting extensions done and I assume Brown was part of that magic.

It's a shame he wasn't here 1-2 years ago.

I think the Astros could be in good shape in that regard in the future but am afraid it's too late right know.

Tucker looks to have the mindset that he is not willing to settle and will test FA no matter what is offered to him. I would settle the 2023 salary then offer him 10 yrs / $270M thru age 36 but the Astros won't. I bet he makes more than $27M AAV and signs at least 8 yrs as a FA.

Framber has now made enough that he has no urgency to sign.

Apparently Javier was always wanting to bet on himself.

I don't see any of these players signing extensions now.

The Astros missed the window.

Pena is a late starter ( FA at 30) and his game is dependent on speed/quickness so I'm not sure it's wise to extend him.

Brown is the only prearb guy I think should be a priority but unless he settles for an insanely good discount it would be prudent to wait until after his rookie season at least.

Guys like Garcia and Chas are basically low ceiling guys even if they also have a high floor. Extending them probably isn't a priority and their low salaries allow the ream to have stars and stay under the CBT.

I think Brown needs to try to sign Tucker, Framber, and Javier but understand it's very unlikely.

Then really focus on the top 10 prospects and identify who may be the best gamble and sign him to a Jon Singleton type deal.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We signed Altuve after the initial deal. Bregman and now Alvarez. It's not like we haven't made deals. We just haven't made terrible deals for 6 plus years. We have made bad deals and those players are gone in a year or two.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  11. Yordan The Great

I think we have handled things quite perfectly up to this point.

Easy for these Monday Morning QBs to ask "why the hell didn't you sign Valdez when his era was well over 5 in his rookie season? Or Javier when he only had a few dozen innings under his belt.

It's all silly.

We are by far the best run organization in baseball.

12. Major

Major Member

Crane didn't build MLB's economic system - he's using it to its best advantage. It's crazy that doing what helps win the most games is considered a bad thing now. And it's not like they haven't kept anyone - of the big pieces, they've signed Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Brantley, and Verlander to various extensions. They let Springer, Correa, Keuchel, Cole, and eventually Verlander #2 go. Springer would be the only one that you could say hurt us (Verlander still might), but he's been injured so much that it's hard to say whether he'd have been available for our postseason runs anyway. If we keep Cole, Javier might not be a starter right now. If we signed other guys, we may not have been able to afford Abreu. There isn't any team in baseball that keeps all their homegrown players.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Man give me some of that 100m indentured servitude. It’s a players prerogative to either go for an early safety net for millions of dollars or to gamble that they will get more in the future. It’s a risk/reward equation for both players and owners. Who is the greedy one? Both.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I like the term "indentured servitude" because it implies an agreement to work for term in exchange for payment in the service to bring you and train you and provide for you until and shortly after you establish excess value.

It's like agreeing to furnish you room and board and 4 years of education in exchange for six years of service paying over $700K/yr or releasing you.

Some want the benefit without the payment with immediate FA payments. It doesn't and shouldn't work that way.

And YES, backgrounds make a huge difference when some kids have never done without and some have, If you have been spoiled your whole life, poverty has little weight in your life and you're willing to gamble. Bregman is some type of middle ground situation or the exception to the rule.

This doesn't mean we don't try to extend everyone who is willing and part of the core player group. Good luck Dana.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Crane didn't build MLB's economic system - he's using it to the team's best advantage. That is his job. The more successful the team is, the more money he can make. So far he has done far better than most of his small group of competitors. He has made very good decisions. Some here are so wound up with anti business ideals they tend to forget what pro baseball is all about.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I start with optimism. I like what I've heard. I like coming up from the trenches rather than anointed and promoted too early. I like the key word FIT used in the descriptions of most.

The implications I've read are he fights for his guys behind the scene and promotes the consensus away from the office. So the best of individualism and teamwork.

Believe it or not, I gave Ed Wade the benefit of the doubt until he started giving pieces away for NOTHING. I didn't mind moving on, but he got no value whatsoever for them. He's still the bottom of my list of Astros GMs.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep, can work out in favor of either the player or the team, plenty of examples of each

Horn is a tool

chievous minniefield likes this.
  18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

And massively successful.

Some people wouldn’t know what good Ownership looked like if it was a snake and jumped up and bit them on the Two World Championships/Four AL Pennants in Six Years.

The Ignore Button. It’s your best friend.

The Beard likes this.
  19. chievous minniefield

Don’t stop him. He’s on a roll. Let him cook.

20. chievous minniefield

What top Law School did you even go to, though?

If you’d include it in your User Name, it would help so much, because then we’d have a good idea what size your penis isn’t.

RunninRaven likes this.