1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

New GM: Dana Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Exactly this. The thing that sucks is it doesn’t have to be this way. Crane has chosen to make it that way. We could have easily given Springer 6/150 or probably 8/150 2 years earlier. Every opportunity is made to stack the deck completely and totally in the teams favor. Every single one. And then they are disingenuous cunts about it. Oh, we made a great offer to Correa. Nope. Not even close. They want to have their cake and eat it too and there’s a reason they’ve signed one dude that wasn’t a poor VZ and that was Bregman (who is also the only white dude as part of the core).

#241 Wulaw Horn, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. Screaming Fist

imo, to be as successful as someone like Crane you almost have to be a touch psychopathic. I think this is even backed up somewhat by the literature.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think you are correct. Lots of sociopaths and narcissist and other people with personality disorders that are really successful. It’s hard to climb all the way to the tippy top of the ladder as a normal and well adjusted dude that cares about other people on the same way that they care about themselves.
    It’s interesting that Atlanta is the only club owned by a corporation and they are also the only ones effective signing their guys longterm/the most effective. Like- maybe if you didn’t think about it in terms of getting over on the other guy and didn’t negotiate every deal with “ I need to win this deal” and instead viewed it as putting together a puzzle where the pieces add up to 230M at the end of the day that all this stuff might be easier. nah. I’m just being a lying meanie head pointing this kind of stuff out.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We are philosophically opposed to taking all the risk of under-performance and injury in contracts of over 6-7 years. If the player will meet us in the middle, we do extensions.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Indentured servant? Making millions playing baseball?

Not to mention Altuve hinself has said that extension is likely a big part of the reason for his success. It set him for life and he never felt pressure again

Indentured servants? GYFO

No Worries likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Say hello to my ignore list.

#246 No Worries, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Cool cool. Probably cry myself to sleep tonight.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

4 years 12.5M is indentured servitude for a baseball player man. We aren’t talking about the real world here. Jose Altuve contract was considered the best (for team- which means worst for player) contract in baseball for 3 or 4 years. Yeah- it was the most unfair and worst contract any player probably ever signed in my lifetime following the sport.
    obviously none of these guys are working the salt mines but then again, people working the salt mines don’t create 9 figures worth of value for their employers while being paid less than 15% of what they were worth.

cmlmel77 and Rileydog like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

No one made him sign that contract - he was willing to trade some upside for a lifetime of security. And, if I recall correctly, he was a fairly middling player at the time and the Astros only bought out 1 year of free agency. There was a decent chance he wasn't going to make more than that in arbitration plus 1 year of free agency, especially with the levels of arbitration contracts back then. It's like signing Chas to a 4 year deal today.

Nook, The Beard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

WTF?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Was Jon Singleton "indentured" while making $10M from the Stros?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Altuve signed that contract (4/12.5M) in June of 2013.

He had played about every game (~350, 2.5 seasons), and was a good 2B, and was about league average as a player. How average? I'll tell you how average: .285 .323 .377 .700, 93 OPS+

Then he exploded in 2014. And the guy makes $29M/year now, so I think he's ok.

#252 Buck Turgidson, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, Siri is an exceptional fielder and has some of the loudest skills I’ve ever seen. His physical skills are Hall of Fame level. He just has pitch recognition issues and focus problems.

Wulaw Horn and rockbox like this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I love Siri though.

Nook, rockbox and No Worries like this.
  15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I live in the Northeast and can tell you that Boston and Maine accents are alive and kicking.
    And increasingly inaudible the further up into Maine you go.

16. The Beard

Well Altuve said it was exactly what he wanted and needed

I’m sure you know more about what’s best for Altuve than Jose himself though

What you don’t understand at all is indentured servitude. You should have paid attention in school, if you even went

rockbox likes this.
  17. The Beard

This is exactly right and as I’ve mentioned, Jose has said that extension played a huge role in the player he became

18. Screaming Fist

When you consider the money that some of these players under team control put into the pockets of the owners (who needn't contribute any value whatsoever), imo, they are probably getting a worse deal in terms of value created/value received than the indentured servants of the days of yore.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Apparently what you don’t understand is hyperbole. I don’t think I learned that at the top 20 law school I graduated from, rather probably in junior high, but ymmv. It’s almost like the internet is a place that trades in hyperbole and people find they can use short hand to convey an idea as opposed to painstakingly detailing it in long ass posts.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Did you even go to school brah?

verse likes this.