1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New GM: Dana Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t necessarily think it’s about the discount as much as it is the upside/downside mix. While a $250M deal may represent a 20% expected discount, the fact remains that there is $250M at risk (the downside is always 100%), while the upside is far less than 100%, as there is no way Tucker puts up $500M in value. That’s why I think Crane is opposed to deals of that length. As you get past 6 years there is an exponential increase in uncertainty and it is almost all to the downside for the organization.

Nook, BlindHog, SWTsig and 2 others like this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

People in the northeast have the most god awful accents. Sorry for the host.

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Dude, Mad Dog is a legend. He calls out the Yankees and Dodgers as a bunch of cry babies and loves what we've done as an org. He shows us plenty of respect. Knows his baseball but yes no denying that accent.

RKREBORN and mikol13 like this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Siri had too much of a big head which made him off balance at the plate.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's as good as Straw defensively. He obviously has power. He just misses the ball by feet and not inches.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sucks because it would otherwise be a good show...but he's the worst. And I'm originally from Philly...which is up there with the worst accents. Luckily I've been in TX long enough that any hint of that accent is long gone.

Rock Block likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah he’s been good to the Astros through it all. I couldn’t give 2 ***** what he sounds like.

CheezeyBoy22 and Rock Block like this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its only the old generations that have accents. Social media and the world getting smaller has homogonized everyones accent and younger generations now all sound the same.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My younger cousin is straight up South Philly. Pretty much every stereotype about it wrapped in one giant douchebag (with the exception of being an Eagles or Phillies fan. His entire sports fandom was based on the teams who were good in 1992...Bills, Braves, Duke basketball, Florida St. football).

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The math here is very simple. Risk = Annual cost x (years + progressively increased chances of injury or ineffectiveness due to ageing and wear and tear) A ten year contract is a devils bargain and has nothing to do with fairness.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In a vacuum I agree with you for most cases depending on when the deal starts.

But star players get paid a fraction of their worth for years just in the hopes that they can get that deal.

To tell a player: play for $750K for 3 years, then 3 more years at a still huge but smaller discount then you can earn the pay you deserve.

Wait: you will be too old in 5 years so I'm not committing to longer than that.

Sounds pretty unfair to the player.

However the earlier a deal is started the less risk due to age related injury and under performance there is.

The problem is that owners are too greedy to give up the cheap seasons that would allow many 10 year deals to end before that is likely to happen.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Of course the deal is risky for the organization. But the organization can take the risk! It’s a 2B company. The player has 1 career! As such, he should be willing to sell his labor at a discount. And he will! But Crane doesn’t even try. And that means we will continue to lose high level talent. And not even try. And that sucks.
    to be real clear- I’m not in favor of signing people willy nilly. A discount absolutely must be built in. But we are ****ing dickheads about it as opposed to an organization like the Nrwves who extract their value but give enough that the players are willing to do it.
    If the Astros
    Want to offer Tucker 8/200 and it doesn’t happen cool- that’s on him. But offering 5/100 or something stupid like that and saying- oh we tried- he just didn’t want to do this deal is bullshit fan service trying to fool me. I’m not stupid. Don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining.
    If I’m a guy like Springer or Correa I’m going to feel like they never dealt with me fairly or honestly.
    If this guy Brings Braves type valuation I will be behind myself with happiness.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. This is exactly my point. It’s dickheaded on the extreme. It’s bad faith.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would like to see some kind of incentive for both owners and players to stay with teams.

Maybe a threshold where if a player meets it then there is an incentive to sign an extension?

If a player hits this threshold then he can sign an extension and a % of the salary does not count towards the CBT but only his existing team gets the discount?

We all know that AAV, not actually salary is what matters

Say: Kyle Tucker has 550 PA in all 3 seasons prior to arbitration so is eligible for an extension of at least 5 years where only 75% counts toward the CBT?

* he had enough PA in 2020 that extrapolated over 162g he qualified.

In most cases there would be a window where the player could possibly make more money then than on the open market 3 years later.

cmlmel77 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This seems like a solution in search of a problem. Seattle locked up their best player. Tampa locked up their best guy. The Braves locked up their entire team. We just don’t do it bc we are philosophically inclined against it. That’s an us thing not an issue needing to be solved imo.

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I am Very tired of you calling my team unfair, dishonest dickheads. The Astros policy towards long deals has been well known and consistent. They treat everyone the same and are up front and honest about it. You are the one telling lies here not to mention the expletives you love to hurl. Your behavior is insulting to the team and it's fans.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

LOL! You need to get out of the City. I've traveled all over the country and they still have accents EVERYWHERE. However; even those with thick accents cannot hear their own including me. I cannot say WHITE without it sounding like what to those in the mid-west. I asked for white bread, as opposed to wheat, and the ribbing never stopped.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And the Astros policy is not player friendly.

Fair or not fair doesn't matter. It's not against the rules and ownership has not been given a reason to change it.

Just like many big corporations, they prefer cheaper talent even if they have less experience and may not be as good so they move on or let people go if their salary demands are beyond what they want to pay.

Jim Crane has made a decision that the name on the back of the jersey does not matter. Payroll flexibility and avoiding long term commitments are what matter.

I can't argue with the results on the field but mourn my fandom every time I see Correa in a Twins Jersey or Springer in light blue.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Not in search of a problem. The problem is there.

You post a couple of examples, because there are so few out there.

For every Fernando Tatis who gets a 10 yr extension before arbitration there are 20 Brian Reynolds' who are unable to get one

And once a FA only 20-25% of the teams will even try to sign a player.

My suggestion will give qualifying players an incentive to stay with their team (for the fans), delay FA (for owners), and owners an incentive to pay more than they likely would (for the player) under the current system.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Calm down Felicia. I spend 20k a year on season tickets and give them away on here for free on the regular. Nobody is a bigger Astros fan on here than me.
    Their idea of contracts is incredibly slanted to the team and everyone (other than Bregman) that ever had a chance to move on did. Altuve was basically an indentured servant bc of his upbringing in VZ. Everyone else moved on and the team did nothing to keep them around while making insulting offers designed to make the players look greedy to the fan base. It is what it is whether you like it or want to admit it or not. It’s certainly not me lying but if you can’t handle someone having a different opinion then feel free to ****ing put me on ignore chief.

#240 Wulaw Horn, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023