1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New forum ideas for ClutchFans ... and why

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We've been running the same software for the ClutchFans forums for years. The main reason for that has been stability... I did not want to risk going back to the days of the board screeching to a halt or crashing at every high-traffic time because upgraded software wasn't friendly to big boards.

At the same time, I've been looking at different or upgraded software for the forum for at least three years now. I still haven't gotten over some concerns so I don't want to just switch to something new, but I am considering a way to maybe try one of those out.

What I'm thinking is perhaps trying out new forum software for just one forum.

So that brings me to the point of this thread. What I'm looking to do here is brainstorm on ideas for a new forum topic for the board. It needs to be something that would be consistently active and preferably does not replace an existing active forum on the board.

For example, "Houston Texans" would seem to be great as it's very active and it would even expand that fanbase as it would probably come off as a dedicated Texans site, but I don't want to replace the existing active Texans forum on ClutchFans (I might consider replacing "Football" or "NBA Draft", but I don't know how consistently active those would be). If people overwhelmingly want to do it for the Texans, I'd consider porting over all the existing threads.

A spin off of Rockets or the Hangout might be good. "Jeremy Lin" is almost ideal if it didn't attract so many nuts. Video games, soccer... I'm not sure.

So if you can think of a forum idea that would be heavily used (so the software would be consistently played with), I'd love to hear your suggestions.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...calling heypartner.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Video games would probably be a good one because they are very popular.

Another option would be one for attractive people only (all the "thick girls" and "skinny girls" can go in there).

Last would be a "Cool story bro!" forum.

I don't know...... maybe have one just for "What" or "Paulfsk"

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

STYX Forum? Would there be too many threads to port over?

Texas forum is probably your best bet.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How about calling one Clutch Community? :)

Why?... because it will change everything. I'll even put some money in...to help get it off the ground.

#5 Roc Paint, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It would take months.

University of Texas?

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Food. Seems there's always one or two active food discussion threads in the Hangout at all times.

Then there's always a Chili: Beans Or No forum. That might bring a server to its knees.

vvvvvvvv lulz...first. :p

1 person likes this.
  8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Maybe a Houston food forum? The "Best burger/chicken/pizza" threads tend to generate a decent amount of discussion and it wouldn't be tough to start new topics with the number of restaurants and food trucks in Houston.

Edit: boomboom beat me to it.

1 person likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Tech? New tech, cell phones, TVs, software, services, computers, etc... Maybe with Q&A as well.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

heypartner suggested an "Updates only" forum to lighten the load of the gigantic threads in the GARM.. I kind of like the idea. I don't know if it would actually work as it is envisioned.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

TV and tech?

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Maybe a forum just dedicated to the city of Houston and everythign about it. People can talk about all the great restaurants, bars, night clubs, strip clubs, museums, malls, gyms, where the hot girls are etc etc

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

How about a TV shows forum? There are many active threads about various TV shows and they're always going to active because these shows are always on.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Don't know if TV alone would be active enough. How about something like "Entertainment", which includes TV, Music, Games, etc?

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

A TV Show/Tech forum would be good.

I would also suggest a Houston (or State of Texas) Food/Nightlife/Activities/Upcoming Concerts/Events/etc type forum would be helpful and active.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

paulftsk forum?

I'm sure this would quickly become the "go to" place in ALL of the interwebz!...:eek:

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd almost suggest the opposite.

Seems like the Hangout pretty much covers the above.

I'd personally be more interested in an International forum. There's a lot of international posters on here now. And it is just an area that is at least a bit interesting.

So you would have:
    US: Hangout and D&D
    International: Sports, hangout and D&D

Maybe the D&D part isn't split, since so much of D&D is about politics, and world politics already.

18. Buck Turgidson

I like this idea a lot.

Things like food and tv/movies/entertainment are a large part what makes the hangout enjoyable.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think it should be a anything goes, uncensored, unmoderated forum. That way you can throw anything in there. Anything not safe for work or family friendly should go in that forum.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I don't value the forum for the unique, somewhat homey feel it provides, but I feel like such a topic focused niche separation somewhat battles ALL of the other options out there if you really want to focus on something so specific.. eg. news sites like techcrunch, mashable, etc., forums like reddit, yada, yada. just my two cents.