1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New film study - Rockets offense looks broken

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Jan 12, 2021.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's not psychology. Harden is so far behind the 3pt line, he's more of a spectator than a player. That's disinterest.

ak99999 and Ramo$e like this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This

3. HP3

HP3 Member

He still has range to shoot from there GORDON HAS TO PASS BACK ....why did I take you off ignore LMAO. I never learn ugh. Back to ignore.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

apparently Silas said in the post game interview that he told Harden to stand there. Although he's suppose to be ready to catch and shoot instead of just wandering around

ak99999, Nook and HP3 like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

If he's open dude's have to find him...than you can blame him. These guys NEVER make the play back to him.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If the defense collapses, then Gordon should pass to the open man. In the picture, the defense hasn't collapsed onto Gordon. Caruso has cut off Gordon's right so Gordon went left. However, Harden isn't open. If Gordon had passed back to Harden, Caruso would've had plenty of time to recover.

I absolutely have a bias against any Rocket effectively forcing his team to play 4v5 on offense.

foggy94 likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

I'd take mis-application of strategy over disinterest. And it is probably something we have to agree to disagree. We've seen him do this even in good Rockets games, where we won. It's to attract the opposing team defender far out. Caruso didn't bite, so you can argue, maybe Harden didn't need to be that far out.

I don't know if anyone plays rec bball, but even in those 'meaningless' games, most people's competitive juice come out. To say a NBA player is disinterested, borderline intentionally not play well is not normal.

#67 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The thing is Harden hasn't really shown the ability to pull up quickly for that situation. I feel like he passes up a lot of open 3's, instead choosing to either iso or do a step back. Not sure why

ak99999 likes this.
  9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Try to use some common sense. If Harden wants to shoot a 30 ft 3 pointer, he can get that anytime he wants. That's not a shot he should be taking with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm..do you have examples of this? Im not trying to be combative, but I rarely see dudes on this team(for years) find him for the catch and shoot three. He hasnt gotten nearly as many opportunities. The thing you are talking about really happend in the Indiana game.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I honestly think that's a better shot than a step back from that range. That's a top players look for. But you are right he needs to be closer to the 3 point line.

He also needs to learn to catch and shoot without hesitation

We see the roles reversed a lot of times, Gordon loves jacking up 3's from where Harden is standing.

ak99999 likes this.
  12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The problem with this logic is that no defender will ever follow him that far out. There's simply no need to. If he does receive a pass that far away from the basket, the defender will have enough time to recover.

I'd say its more normal when the player is disgruntled and has requested a trade.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Ok, I've said my piece and you yours. I think there's little convincing of the other side. One thing we can both agree on is hope for a Rockets win tonight.

HP3 likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's because he's a rhythm shooter.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Off the top of my head, no I think it's really often that Harden chooses to reset when he could have just shot it. It's no coincidence that he barely shoots any catch and shoot 3's.

Most of the time he's not in his shooting stance when he catches a pass. If you watch players like Curry, Dame, hell even PJ Tucker, they get into a shooting stance anticipating a pass. Harden tends to catch, think about it, and then decide what to do. Most of time it ends up being a step back 3 anyway, so I don't know why he just doesn't shoot it like Gordon who is way worse

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes he is, look at how much space there is. Gordon should pass back in that situation, not dive head first into traffic. No he woulnd of, there is so much space.

See this is what Im talking about LOL. MAKE THE PASS...you make the pass to your best player when he is open...ugh.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

That's a better option than whatever Gordon did on this play. Harden is good enough as a shooter than he can take and make this shot.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Guy's dont find him that often. I'd really like to see some numbers for how many times he passes these shots because he doenst get them that often.

That might be true. That was show a lot in the Indiana game. But again, Wall is the only one who bothered to look for him. Other guys have to look for him.

Nook likes this.
  19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Dallas read your blog, and spent the whole off season fixing it, to improve their defense while only giving up a little on the offensive end. The point being there is a balance, and not enough of one is usually bad.

Well, one way to prepare for that is pre-empt it by taking Harden out of the equation. Ha! That would show them!

20. Nook

Nook Member

In that picture, agreed... he should be another few feet closer to the three point line. When Harden is being guarded that far out (as he was in the playoffs often) it isn't as big a problem. When Harden's man is more than 5 feet away from him the spacing is screwed.