1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Fatwa issued by Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Grizzled, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Updated Wed. Jun. 14 2006 12:58 PM ET
    CTV.ca News Staff

Representatives of Canada's Islamic community issued a call to action on Wednesday, urging Muslims to obey a religious edict that condemns violence and sanctions peace.

"Muslims have undertaken to obey the laws of a country of their residence, and thus they must be faithful to that undertaking," according to the fatwa issued by Iraq's top Shiite cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani earlier this week.

The Lebanese Islamic Centre's Linda Clark told reporters at a pres conference in Montreal that the edict means it is a sin for Muslims in Canada to act against the fatwa.

They are urged to "protect the country they are living in and they must not let it be exposed to harm in any way for they are guests of that country," said Clark, reading a quote from a Muslim scholar translated into English.

"And as soon as they enter it they are pledged to live there in the same manner as the rest of the population without causing any harm to public security and safety."

Sistani's representative in North America, Sayyed Nabil Abbas, told reporters the fatwa compels all Muslims to act in the best interests of their country of residence by protecting it from all acts that might jeopardize public safety and security.

"We condemn all forms of violence and ask the Canadian to investigate any act or gesture that might have harmful repercussions on our common security," Abbas said in French.

The Muslim leaders called the press conference in Montreal on the heels of the stunning arrests of suspects on terrorism-related charges that have fuelled discussion on the implications of homegrown extremists.

"In addition we ask the government representatives in all objectivity to take the necessary measures in order to judge and punish, if need be, any individuals of whatever cultural or religious origin they may be," Abbas said.

Islamic groups in Canada have come out to condemn terrorism and violence, while urging Canadians not to rush to judgment or broadly paint all Muslims with the label of terrorists

"Those accused must be considered innocent until proven guilty in a transparent and fair trial that respects due process and natural justice," The Muslim Council of Montreal said in a written statement last week.

"If they are found guilty then they should be viewed as criminals who neither reflect our community's values nor our faith."
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0614/fatwa_muslims_060614/20060614?hub=Canada

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We need more of this, like in Iran and Iraq and the rest of the middle East.

Good for him !!!

DD

3. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I was literally overjoyed when I read this. Considering the precipice many Canadians feel they’ve been standing on since the arrests I think this is very very significant for us, and for the broader issue globally as well. Muslim community leaders have been vocal on this issue from the start, I should add. There are something like 700,000 Muslims in the greater Toronto area and many leaders spoke out very quickly strongly condemning extremism after the arrests. More than that, they were digging into the roots of this particular group and saying that a couple of the people who were arrested had been showing warning signs and asking if something could have been done sooner. Someone had tipped the police off about these guys quite a while ago, though, as they had been tracking them for quite a few months. Through all the discourse that has followed I think it’s become very clear to most Canadians that the vast majority of Muslims are strongly against extremism, and I think that’s been a very positive increased level of understanding that’s come out of this.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to make sure everybody who cares remembers who al-Sistani is.

His Wikipedia entry is here. He is the man who convinced Muqtada al-Sadr to talk and helped broker an arangement between al-Sadr and the U.S. and he has consistantly been a voice of peace. In fact, he was nominated for the 2005 Nobel Peace prize.

Honestly, as an outsider listening to the Shia clerics in Iran as well as people like al-Sadr, if it weren't for al-Sistani's strong voice I would be very discouraged.

BTW, he also has a very nice and informative website with all sorts of nice informative stuff on Islam and him personally.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

A Muslim doing something good?

I wonder why Gwayneco hasn't posted in this thread?

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I just finished reading the closed thread and was looking for the next gwayneco sighting. Look's like he went the path of Chernobyl today, complete meltdown.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

He's too busy locking other ones.

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Isn't it just common sense to abide by local law?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, how awesome is that??? That's absolutely inspiring when you consider that many Muslim leaders who have taken that stand have been threatened with violence by the extremists for not representing "true Islam."

Thanks for posting that, Grizzled.

10. RocketMan Tex

Maybe Clutch should start a new poll. Gwayneco's personal insults, even after I've met him and he's been to some of my gigs, are reaching the "beyond ridiculous" level.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I took him back off the ignore list to look at the damage. That was pretty crazy.

I can put up with the insults. The paranoid ranting/accusations is truly disturbing.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what does gwayneco think of hakeem then?

13. RocketMan Tex

Good question. Maybe you should ask him.

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I bet he had to go sit in the corner after that last thread.

[​IMG]

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for me, i dont care what religion they are,
    they need to concentrate on working out in the summer on rebounding, defense, passing and shooting...

instead of stealing sunglasses.

16. RocketMan Tex

Hell yes. Hang out at Fonde Rec Center instead of the Galleria! :D

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Can I issue a Fatwa too?

18. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

No. :rolleyes:

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm going to anyway.

20. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

You're an idiot, have a little respect for other people's beliefs.