1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Era Custom Made Caps for Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Aug 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow...I know that New Era was aware of how gang members love their caps, but I never thought they'd come thisclose to admitting it and even blatantly marketing to them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. leroy

leroy Member

If I were the Yankees/Steinbrenner, I'd do something about that. I'm not sure if they can, but I'd sue to get those off the street. What team would want their caps associated with these jackasses?

3. A-Train

A-Train Member

I doubt that New Era makes those in the factory. New Era makes a sh*tload of money off those officially licensed baseball caps, and MLB would end their licensing deal pretty damn quickly if New Era were making these things on the production line...

4. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

disgusting.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I'm going with A-Train, I think they are knockoffs made to look like New Era caps, no way a company with so much to lose would do this.

6. Sextuple Double

That Latin Kings fitted is extra fresh.

Don't really care for the bandana pattern.

7. Blatz

Blatz Member

I can't believe they would do that.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08242007/news/regionalnews/dressed_to_kill.htm

DRESSED TO KILL
    FURY AT 'GANG' CAPS SPURS HARLEM RALLY

By SAMUEL GOLDSMITH

August 24, 2007 -- Angry East Harlem activists took to the streets yesterday, demanding that New Era baseball caps designed with the colors and symbols of three notorious gangs be pulled from shelves.

The protesters say the headwear, which they claim evoke the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings gang colors, will add to the violence that already plagues their neighborhood.

"Young people who don't know the meaning of these hats will fall prey to gangs and wind up beat up, shot or worse," said Johnny Rivera, who led the group of 20 protesters to apparel stores along Third Avenue near East 107th Street.

Peace on the Street, a martial-arts academy dedicated to reducing gang violence, also sent letters to New Era denouncing the hats.

"It is a scandal that corporate America is profiting on the blood of our kids," said Stan Koehler, director of Peace on the Street. "New Era is a major fashion statement for kids, and they don't realize that wearing the wrong color combination can be fatal."

New Era has been making Major League Baseball caps for more than 80 years. In recent years, their flat-billed caps have become a staple of hip-hop culture.

Phone calls to New Era headquarters were not returned yesterday.

Rivera first discovered the caps while shopping with his son for back-to-school gear last week.

He offered to buy his son a black New Era baseball cap with a gold Yankee logo and embroidered crown. The 11-year-old explained to his then-clueless father that the hat was "a gang thing," and wearing it would put him in danger.

"This is not something I was aware of as a 45-year old father buying a hat for my 11-year old kid," he said.

His son pointed out two other New Era-brand Yankees hats, both white with red or blue bandannas wrapped around the sides, that he said represent Bloods and Crips.

"Bandannas represent gang flags," said Brian Martinez, an NYPD detective involved with Peace on the Street. "New Era is making it really convenient for gang members, because now your flag is part of your hat."

Retailers along Third Avenue were caught off guard when the pickets crowded outside, chanting, "New Era gear promotes gang fear."

At Tom, Dick and Harry's on East 106th Street, manager Isaiah Hill pulled the gang-themed caps from the shelves.

"These guys are right," said Hill. "This is a very dangerous fad that could cause serious violence."

#7 Blatz, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  8. hotballa

my bad. I forgot to post the link.

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

9. bladeage

bladeage Member

bet they are flea market made and sold.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Wow, looks to be real. Stupid move on New Era's part.

11. Blatz

Blatz Member

I can't find them on their web site. I wonder if they already pulled them.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Well, the story doesn't necessarily make it legit. I still think it's fake but the story gives it more credit. Like somebody said, they're probably flea market knockoffs. They still need not to be sold.

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

you'd think they would at least make a bunch of different colors so it wasn't so obvious they were making gang hats. :rolleyes:

14. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

their site doesn't do much, i have 2 hats from them, either are listed on their sites, and i am sure they are real since i got them from modells.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

If a New Era exec approved the production of these hats, he should be fired immediately. The company should also put up a nice donation to a charity for ending gang violence.

16. hotballa

Apparently this isn't the first time New Era's had this problem. I think someone's trying a little too hard to be "edgy"

http://sohh.com/articles/article.php/11851

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Sweet, I can finally represent on the streets...

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I, for one, was kind of hoping a bunch of suburban white boys who think they are Gangsters would be all over this and the problem would kind of take care of itself.

19. bladeage

bladeage Member

Are gangs really that big of a demographic that they have to make specific caps marketed towards them?

20. hotballa

You know whats the dumbest thing about marketing to gang members?

a lot of them like to STEAL