1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Draft Express Mock Draft (After Combine)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yeah cause like I said, these are the people that seem most likely to be available when we pick. And I'm not picking a 7 foot stiff just because we need a center. We need a star, at any position.

As far as Rivers is concerned, that's all of your own opinion of him while he was playing there. The fact of the matter is he was the top ranked basketball player coming out a year ago and in a lot of ways a mediocre Duke team held back his ability to continue shining. Now, I'm not sold on this idea, I think he displayed some definite weaknesses, but I think he has fallen way too far in people's mind's from a one year that wasn't exactly a disaster. He could have easily just gone to school one more year and potentially been the number 1 pick by next year, he has that kind of talent and athleticism. You don't get a chance at that potential at 14 very often....we should take the risk.

The whole Parson/D-Mo dilemma is inane. If I think I can potentially get a star, I don't let the fact I've got a surprisingly effective 3 on the floor (but the jury is still out on his ceiling) or a 4 that has never even touched the floor in the NBA (who we are all just hoping can be effective).

I'm not sure what gives you the confidence to consider this team has the ability to be choosy and only draft certain positions....but you are dead wrong.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, screw safe picks and asset hoarding. I look for the scenario where we trade and try to get 4 first round picks. Aside from the first couple picks there are no sure things. Go big and go high risk, high return. Let McHale run out a try out camp for the whole season and see who can stand the heat.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

How about Fab Melo?

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Where's a good place to read some reviews about combine performances?

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eTUg5N75K1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He seems like a really dedicated person, but it could be all talk.

I'm really interested to see how him and Andre Drummond will play in the NBA.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Bobcats have to go with BPA. They have nothing. The Rockets have 7 quality starters on their roster. There is ONLY 1 can't miss prospect in this draft and he is going to NO. So certainly the Rockets can pick and choose. Sort of basic common sense. Some person suggested moving up and taking Robinson - I thought it was a foolish idea. Why have your two highest potential players (Robinson and D-MO) manning the same position? That sounds a lot like what you are advocating.

First off Rivers position on the draft boards is due to some degree on the cachet of his name. There are 3 better SG prospects in this draft. He is looking like a head case, and attitude does figure into every draft choice. He sounds like an entitled little jerk to me - christ he could not even list 1 area of his game he needed to work on.

That rookie 3 was an elite defender on the wing last season. Every strong team has to have 1 on the roster. Otherwise the defender is going to be staring at KD's and LBJ's butt crack a lot during a game. And you want to draft a totally unproven player to try to fill that roll. Oh and Parsons averaged 9.5/4.8/2.1 without training camp.

D-Mo is a more proven player than anyone in the draft. His game is unlike any PF in the draft and will present match up problems that no one in this draft can even approach. There is no one you can draft that has his potential other than Davis and Drummond.

Martin/Lee SG if Martin returns from injury back to his 2010-2011 production then SG is well manned. Ideally though we draft a SG and trade Martin as an expiring at the trade deadline.

Scola/D-Mo/PPat PF massive logjam at the PF. Hopefully Scola gets moved for talent along with Lowry.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Fab is definitely a possible selection. High ceiling really low basement.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That interview was surprisingly good. An honest assessment of his game and how others perceive it.

It didn't sound rehearsed like some others, but it was still thoughtful.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Really do not like PJIII's feel for the game, nor his dislike for contact.

10. Houston_Rockets

I still don´t understand this notion that we don´t need talent at certain positions (SF and PG mentioned), we NEED allstar talent regardless of how many good players we have for those positions, IMO.

And as I said before, if we don´t get a top 3 pick, I want DM to trade up using players/draft picks to target specific guys with high ceiling, I want Drummond, PJIII, Rivers type players (even if they are not these three specifically), as opposed to guys like Barnes, Sullinger which IMO have limited ceiling even tho there is no way they will be busts, I don´t want safe picks.

I like PJIII, there is just one big problem IMO, he still thinks he is a 3. I am sorry, if I am as athletic and quick as him at the 4, and I am close to the basket I am dunking no mater what. If I draft Perry Jones the first thing I do is make him go 1-on-1 with Parsons with only mid range to 3 point shots and tell him after he scores 0 points in 30 mins that he can´t be a 3 if you don´t have a consistent perimeter shot/can´t get separation off the dribble, and then I make him watch young Stat games, and make him understand that he is as athletic as him and make him realize that it is all about the intensity, keeping that motor going and confidence. PJIII needs swagger, he needs that young Amare attitude because he is as athletic gifted as him (younger josh smith is also a good example when it comes to athletic 4s that understand that they can dunk/block on anybody and not shy away from contact and use that to get "free" mid-range shots), IMO

I like guys that can potentially create matchup problems against the majority of the guys that play in the position, that is why I understand the Morris pick for the 3 spot, but of course on paper it all sounds cool and stuff...

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If Perry Jones is there at 14 and 16 and the Rockets don't take him at either one, I'm going to be very upset.

12. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

PJIII is too soft to play PF in the NBA and not skilled enough to be successful at SF. The NBA will be like a combination ice bath/shock therapy to him.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What if the Bobcats trade 2 for 6 and 11 from Portland. Then trade 6 for 14 and 16 from Houston?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Skeptical 11, 14, 16 gets you 2.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sorry, I edited my question, it sounded like I was implying Houston would trade for the #2. I was thinking of charlotte wanting to trade down. I'm not sure they'd want that either, but if some guys shoot up, it could net them some really nice players.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just to make sure I'm understanding you: :p

Bobcats: 11(from POR), 14(from HOU), 16(from HOU)
    Blazers: 2(from CHA)
    Rockets: 6(from CHA via POR)

Still a bit skeptical 14, 16 get you 6. I'd say tops is #9.

18. Houston_Rockets

Right now your post is pure fact. I just believe it is possible to make him believe how physically talented he is, so there is no excuse to shy away from contact, he needs that nasty mentality I talked about. I just don´t believe he will ever be skilled enough to play the 3, that is why I like him as a project 4, drafted in 6-16 range.

Question is, is he the better gamble to go after outside the top 5 picks?

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If PJIII is there for us to pick we have to grab him. At the very least at least we were swinging for the homer.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Could Lowry, 14, and 16 sniff the #2?