1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New coach: Who do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Who to you want as the Rocket's next head coach?

1. Elston Howard

21 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mike Budenholzer

73 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Jeff Van Gundy

164 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Mike Brown

16 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Mario Elie

40 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. That douchebag from Butler

80 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. other (state who in comments)

39 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HEAD COACH: [​IMG]

Asst Coach: [​IMG]

Asst Coach: [​IMG]

Rocket River

2. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

Calvin Murphy!!!

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

All I've ever read is that Jeff and the FO/Les DON'T have an amicable relationship which is a reason SVG might NOT want to come here. IF Adelman is getting let go because Les and Rick don't see eye to eye then I imagine Les and JVG would need to become buddy buddy again.

Jeff going to LA or Miami would make perfect sense. Two titles contenders looking for a great coach and Miami would not take JVG for Erik Spolestra? Rumor has been Boston might become open if Doc retires which almost happened last offseason....that would be beyond ideal for JVG.

Who plays defense on this team? Lowry, PPat, CLee and Chuck? EVERYONE else would be history, maybe Scola stays because he tries, but the team would need a major overhaul and while that may happen anyway, would JVG want to wait it out?

4. rocketblood713

Rick Adleman or no Rick Adleman 8th place is not wha we want its not what were looking for so who ever comes to Houston i Hope they get it done ON DEFENSE AND OFFENSE !!!!! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Has people forgotten how bad the JVG era was?

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

To watch or our performance? Watching it was painful, but our play was actually quite good.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yep, rather watch us win 76-70 games then lose 120-115.

1 person likes this.
  8. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

amen to that

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

I'll drink to that... Mind you, this is coming from a former Fire Gundy Club member...

10. BleedRocketsRed

I would too. But Rox had a higher winning % with Rick so that argument doesn't even make sense.

The Van Gundy era was overrated. Even with a healthy Yao/Mac, didn't do jack in the postseason (if we got there).

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

God if that was possible I would cry for joy. I doubt we see Battier affiliated in any way with this team ever again.

13. BleedRocketsRed

Furthermore on JVG, seeing the success of the '08-'10 Celtics and current Bulls squad has me questioning whether or not JVG was the defensive mastermind of our Rockets teams.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The dark horse.

15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Why do ppl think that JVG would even wanna coach here again?? It's clear that this team wants to play the Young players, and JVG plays young players even less than Adelman does!

Adelman plays the rookies that deserve to be on the court - Brooks, Landry, Budinger, Pat-Pat.

Landry is a proven player in the NBA, Budinger and Pat-Pat are on their way. Brooks is gonna be a good player in the league too, but he needs to get his ankle and his head right before he can put up a consistent 20+ ppg again.

If you bring back JVG, also expect for Mark Jackson to leave the broadcast table to put on the Rockets uniform again along with Allan Houston, Larry Johnson, Patrick Ewing, Chris Childs, Clarence Weatherspoon and the Heisman winner - Charlie Ward.

1 person likes this.
  16. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

but the golden opportunity was wasted under JVG. He did not even win one playoff series with two superstars. That's a horrible result.

When will Rockets have two superstars again?

will it happen again in next 30 years?

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't be emotional.Use logic. Even if he had retired as a player,it would take him years as an assistant before he could qualify as the head coach of a team.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

How about a coach that's 8th all time in wins, has a career .605 winning percentage, 1541 games under his belt, his players all love, he is an elite offensive coach and has the last two seasons taken a bad to mediocre team to the verge of the playoffs?

Oh yeah, we would never want that, right?

Morey is officially a dumbass.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Here is a list of candidates for the vacant job:

IF HE’S OUT THERE

Stan Van Gundy
    – If he leaves Orlando, he and Rick Adelman will be on the top of many lists. Would be ideal fit.

PROVEN COMMODITIES

Mike Brown
    – Former Coach of Year with Cavaliers, brings a defensive emphasis.

Mike Woodson
    – Former Hawks coach and former Rockets player known for strong relationship with players.

Jeff Van Gundy
    – Unlikely that they would go back to JVG, but he’s still here, rested and ready.

TOP ASSISTANTS

Elston Turner
    – Long-time Adelman assistant has been finalist for other jobs, would ease transition.

Jack Sikma
    – Another Rockets assistant and former star center also considered ready to move over to head coach position.

Dwayne Casey
    —Briefly the Timberwolves coach, a top assistant with Mavericks and finalist for several jobs.

Mike Budenholzer
    – Longtime Spurs assistant, would be strong candidate in Tom Thibodeau mold.

Mike Malone
    – Former Cavaliers assistant in first year in New Orleans, a top name around NBA.

Lawrence Frank
    – Celtics assistant and former Nets head coach in the Jeff Van Gundy mold.

Mario Elie
    – Former Rockets champion has paid due with San Antonio, Golden State and Sacramento.

BLASTS FROM THE PAST

Larry Brown
    – Well-traveled Hall of Famer, considered Rockets when Van Gundy was hired.

Mike Dunleavy
    – Former Rockets guard, was a finalist for Rockets job before went to Clippers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

20. BleedRocketsRed

Good list, I'd add D'Antoni/Spolestra to the "If Hes Available" group.

No thanks on Dunleavy and Frank. These are guys who had several years of losing teams with their last gigs (I understand that their teams were not very good but several years is several years).

Larry Brown would be good but who knows how long he'd say (could be a couple of months, could be a couple of years). Plus he isn't really a rebuilding coach (as seen in NY/Charlotte).

Rest of them could all be good.