1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New CBA Amnesty Clause - Potential Rockets Free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

It looks like there will be a new NBA season, now that the players and owners have agreed in principle to a new CBA. Reports are that there will be an amnesty clause in the new deal that will allow teams to waive a player (still paying his remaining deal) and not have them count against the cap.

While the details have not been finalized it seems highly likely that it will be added, since it helps both players and owners. It is impossible to know for sure who will be waived, but there are a few safe bets and several articles predicting potential amnesty related free agents. Here are a couple:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-...ty-Rule-And-The-Leagues-Worst-Contracts_2.htm

Of these amnesty free agents who would you most like to see on the Rockets?

My number one option is to see Rashard Lewis finally become a Rocket. I think he may even be willing to give us a home town discount, but even if not Im sure we can find an exception for him.

From the less likely list, Brandon Roy still might be a nice fit with the Rockets and Joe Johnson is one of the top 5 shooters in the NBA. Also, what if we brought in the Gilbert Arenas and Metta World Peace, to team up with T-Will for the most formidable Twitter attack in the league

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

God no on Rashard.

Lets get some young talent and rebuild. Old washed up players with a few good years left wont do anything for us except guarantee first round losses or 14th pick over and over.

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Rashard Lewis to play center, and Roy to replace tmac on the shelf

5. joesr

joesr Member

when amnesty cut, do they get paid for years after ward still on contract?

6. cod

cod Member

yes, the salaries just don't count towards the team's salary cap.

7. BreakYoSelfFool

Valid point that there may be a waiver process before a player becomes a free agent, but I dont think the team cost would be much different either way since you would still play close to the market value for the player.

The problem is without knowing the exact deal we dont know what the cap amount is, and how many teams will actually be under the cap. I actually think that the Rockets will likely be under the cap, and be able to bid on waived players. Im guessing that most of the waived players will fall into either the 1-4 million dollar range or the 6-9 million dollar range if they draw bids.

Also, Im guessing tha ta lot of teams would rather take their chances in free agency rather than bidding on waived players. Unless they feel they can get the players cheaper by bidding or they are willing to go over the cap to sign and lose the better exceptions they would receive from being under the cap

8. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

lets get sun yue he is a proven champion plus our chinese fan base is really diminishing

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Actually, we do. It was agreed early on that last season's salary cap of $58.044M would remain in place for the next two seasons regardless of BRI. Hence, all teams should know where they stand with regard to the cap.

The Rockets could have about $5-6M in cap room without re-signing or waiving anyone. Hence, unless Nene is willing to sign (in which case I think you'd see a trade and/or amnesty cut to make room for him), I think the Rockets would be better off using the MLE for amnesty waiver claims (if that's allowed) and save that $7M+ Battier trade exception for later (they lose it if they opt for cap room).

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Not sure there's anyone I would like to see the Rockets use the MLE on, but yeah, I agree.

Remember the Rockets also got a TE in the draft trade. It's ony 1.2M, but it just might come in handy one day.
    Plus we'd get to keep Chuck's bird rights, making a one year wink-wink deal possible.
    According to my math the Rockets would only have about $4.5M cap room if they keep both Blakey and Cousin. A little over $6M if they cut both. Up to a little over $11M if they waive both guys & amnesty Thabeet.

Nene or bust it is.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

11 million for a arguably top 8 center?

Morey, Git R Done!

12. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

So we get a center that can score but doesn't solve out huge defensive liabilities, and takes Chuck off the floor to play man defense against the elite 4s.

Why would we waste the cap room on Nene, end our shot at Howard, and remain a middling team picking around #14?

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The $11M figure doesn't even account for trades. There are additional ways to create more cap room by trading away more salary than they take back. Still, Nene would probably need to be sold on Houston's prospects, as he'd likely get offered more--and over more years--by Denver.

Nene is a plus defender! I don't know where you're getting your information. Also, the Rockets could play Nene and Patterson for a good defensive lineup.

Also, don't discount the possibility that the Rockets still go after Howard next summer. If they trade Scola, they could conceivably field a front line of Nene and Howard (with both being able to play either PF or C), which would be pretty awesome.

14. jason3333

jason3333 Member

no way on Roy, his knees are shot man!

15. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

Whoa there Bima, that's a bit outlandish-- you're always the voice of reason. In what situation do you see us being able to acquire both Nene and Howard?

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

It would require a trade of Scola for less incoming salary. I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's conceivable.

And to those thinking of amnesty cutting Scola, I don't see that happening unless they do it in 2013 or 2014. Even then, only maybe.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Darn Bima, putting the hammer down on our illusions of a dominating frontcourt. You don't think they would cut Scola for DHoward?

18. BreakYoSelfFool

Thanks for that info, it would be great to know if there will be a deadline for the Amnesty Waivers or if they can occur at anytime, also I wonder if the waivers will occur before the start of free agency or if they will occur simultaneously.

As far as Nene is concerned, I think he is slightly over rated and will probably be over priced. I would be more interested to see what type of players McHale can mold out of our current PFs on the roster, even if it means running a little smaller with 2 PFs. It may be a fantasy, but if he can turn either PPat or JHill into reliable post players and defenders we should be fine. As far as picking up a center, I think Mehmet Okur will probably be waived and can probably be had for half the price and give at least 75-85% of the production of Nene.

19. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Centers like Nene are comparable to good closers in baseball. They are ridiculously overpaid but you have to have them. To look at the current situation, and actually think that's what Houston is going to have to work with would be foolish at this point. There will be some manuevering around I'm sure as soon at Dec 9th rolls around.

20. Garner

Garner Member

I grew up and now work in Houston- not once have i considered walking into my bosses office and saying, "hey..i'd like to give you a hometown discount"