1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Braunfels considers Ban on Alcohol along Rivers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Not Chaney, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I never threw any of my empties in the river...it wasn't me.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

2. LHutz

LHutz Member

YES ban acohol permane nly DUKE votes YES

uh oh

yuck stickie keys

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

OH NOOOOO!!!!! Damn litterbug trouble-makers are ruining this for those of us who like a good buzz in an innertube!

Crap. I never threw any of my empties into the river.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Speaking as someone who floated and canoed (and fished when I was a kid) the Guadalupe every year from 5 to 22 (sometimes several times per year), I have to say that this doesn't bother me.

I can't count the number of times drunk idiots had to be pulled out of the water by local sheriff deputies because they were at risk of drowning. Or, the one's that puked in the water. Ick!!!

Despite the mostly quiet waters, some of the radids and bridge areas there can be very dangerous. Beyond that, the pollution of what is one of the prettiest rivers around has to be considered.

I don't care if people drink, but the level of irresponsibility of drinkers around rivers like the Guadalupe is ridiculous.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I've been down the river many many times. Maybe not as many as Jeff, but believe me I've had my fill. My personal best/worst was three times in one summer. I'm not the type of person who can't get my fill of the river. Once a year is good for me.

In my experiences, where people get the most rowdy is at the camp sites. Sure, there are people drunk off their asses on the river, but I have never experienced anything that I would consider "over the line" in terms of behavior on the river itself. My point about the rowdiness happening at the camp sites, is that it shouldn't affect the people who live in town or on the river, because they are isolated from that.

I don't know... It just seems like a shame to take that experience away from so many people in the future.

Here's a question... Do they have crews that go out and clean the river every once in a while?

If not, then don't complain about the litter, because much of the refuse could be cleaned up.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's like saying, "Who cares about environmental sludge poured into rivers? We can just clean it up later."

We ALL have to take responsibility for keeping our rivers clean. Having fun doesn't mean littering!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/649486

Aug. 29, 2000, 9:44PM -- New Braunfels tables decision on alcohol ban along rivers

NEW BRAUNFELS (AP) -- Every summer, the people who live on the Comal and Guadalupe rivers complain that they are sick and tired of seeing drunk teen-agers toss cans from their inner tubes, strip and fight. Their pleas to local officials led to a standing-room-only meeting Monday night during which three New Braunfels City Council members tried to ban alcohol along the rivers within the city limits.

With three other council members and the mayor leaning against the ban, the council agreed to table a decision until March. In the meantime, the council plans to beef up police patrols along the rivers and consider ways to tax companies that rent inner tubes to pay for the added patrols. The decision came after three hours of heated debate before more than 90 residents in City Council chambers.

Supporters of a ban argue that it is the day-trippers who contribute little to the local economy who get drunk, throw their empty cans into the rivers and shout profanities. Those favoring the prohibition say the rowdy crowds are driving away families. Opponents, however, say the council would be infringing on their rights if they couldn't sip a beer while floating down the river.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Tourism doesn't contribute to the economy of New Braunsfels?

------------------
    Stay Cool...