1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Ban to be announced Tues: Forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Mar 20, 2017.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Fly Delta through Amsterdam (KLM codeshare) or through Paris (Air France codeshare).

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Idk. Last time I went to Dubai, I went from Houston-Frankfurt on United and Frankfurt-Dubai on Lufthansa.

The Frankfurt-Dubai flight on Lufthansa was cool because it was like empty and they served alcohol like at least once an hour lmao. Nice selection too. And this was in economy!

United from Houston-Frankfurt sucked. Maybe get Lufthansa to Frankfurt.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That search turns up no results for me.

I'm starting my trip home in Male.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

MLE-VIE-(FRA/MUC)-IAD with OS (or OS/LH if the less direct route turns out cheaper)

5. s land balla

This. Or try MLE-SVO-JFK-IAD. Tell them (Moscow) Donald sent you. ZING!

6. BleedRocketsRed

I guess first you'll need to demand a refund from the airline due to the new policy.

Pretty sure you can argue that rechargeable LiPo batteries checked in is a risk not worth taking.

As far as June goes, Aeroloft has Male to DC with one stopover in Moscow on Sundays for $700 one-way on economy. Unfortunately, the one stopover is 15.5 hours...

7. BleedRocketsRed

Korean Air has MLE-CMB-ICN-IAD with a 1 hour 20 min stop in CMB and a 3 hour 30 min stop in ICN but it's like $1256 one way on economy...

8. DonnyMost

That's the best bet I've found so far.

That actually saves me some money, but I'm curious if Korean Air > Emirates.

If Emirates is better, it might be worth the extra money and no electronics situation to be on a more comfortable flight for that 14+ hour stretch.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Looks like Condor flies every Sunday from Male to Frankfurt. They actually have a flight to BWI from Frankfurt but its the following day so you're stuck in Frankfurt overnight. They're actually not a bad airline (used to be part of Lufthansa now its part of Thomas Cook). But its $350 from Male to Frankfurt.

10. BleedRocketsRed

Never flown Korean but the long leg from ICN to IAD is on a 777 in which economy has above-average legroom of 33" according to Google Flights lol.

Though Bloomberg ranked them the ninth worst international airline lol - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-09/the-best-and-worst-airlines-in-the-world

11. s land balla

It's definitely worse than Emirates. Also, since you indicated that you're flying in economy, going east via Seoul is a terrible idea, as it's twice distance you have to cover (again, a bigger deal when in economy). Go through Moscow on Aeroflot.

12. geeimsobored

Aeroflot only flies on Sundays (and requires an overnight layover) and if you're going to do a Sunday flight, go via FRA on Condor. But Condor takes you to BWI instead of IAD if that's an issue.

13. DonnyMost

Thanks for all the help guys.

Unfortunately my travel date is set in stone (June 6).

Using Google Flights trying to get to DC from Male without flying into the US from any of the affected airports (Dubai, Abu Dahbi, Riyadh, Doha, etc) produces nothing but expensive, superlong flight options.

Except for Korean Air, which is already out for a combo of no wifi and being generally a poopy airline.

[​IMG]

BleedRocketsRed likes this.
  14. BleedRocketsRed

Aeroloft has flights to New York City on Sundays and Thursdays with a 2 hour layover for roughly $700. Just get that and then buy a domestic flight from NYC to Washington.

Also Cathay Pacific (pretty damn good airline from my experience) has flights to NYC/Chicago for around $1250 one-way with a short layover in Hong Kong on Sundays/Wednesdays/Saturdays.

15. BleedRocketsRed

Forgot about the WiFi issue lol. Damn yeah you're in a tough spot unless u purchase random one-way tickets to random cities.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought the republican party was the party of low regulations. I enjoy traveling and this ban really sucks. I hope someone sues this ban.

17. Cranberry_Juice

I am convinced that if Trump banned AIDS, liberals would find a way to block it and then hold a march for it.

18. geeimsobored

Clearly you aren't a frequent international traveler. For those of that do travel internationally for work, checking in our laptops isn't an option. So this effectively means I can't fly on the ME3. And as you can see from DonnyMost's challenges with non ME3 itineraries, this makes traveling really hard.

Also I have no problem with these sorts of things when they're justified. However, not only has the administration provided zero rationale for this but they're also effectively encouraging people to put their electronics in the cargo bay which is even more dangerous.

If you're going to disrupt travel like this, 1) provide a heads up so people can plan for this and 2) provide some sort of justification.

19. DonnyMost

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CNN reporting that intelligence agencies are saying that al-qaeda is close to using laptop batteries for bombs