1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New backup center Clint Capela!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hongxingli, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rocketblood713

Capela adapting is the best thing to happen tonight and the W too of course

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd rather see CC not being pigeonholed to the center position and not bulk up where he loses his agility and 2nd jump, but with our PF/C situation I understand him getting minutes behind Howard. I'd rather he keep his lean build and just develop his core strength so he can keep up with the Anthony Davis and Blake Griffins of the NBA if matched up to those quicker PFs.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ehh I don't think his game is well suited for PF. You want him around the basket as much as possible due to his shotblocking/rebounding/dunking abilities. I see him as a true center.

Also, I think Anthony Davis will end up being a center... or at least a Tim Duncan type PF, where he's a center in all but name :p

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Another 12 lbs of hard lean muscle won't slow him down. He has a narrow core ala KG, but he might be able to gain some strength there.

He is never going to have the ball handling ability and court vision of KG, but I would like to see Clint develop a post game, a reliable jump shot, along with better free throwing. I think he should develop into a PF/ C in the future.

That will be the best way to maximize his talent.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. rocketsmetalspd

This on the job training is what will allow Capela to progress rapidly and hwill get better as the playoffs roll along.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Capella needs a lot more strength. He's very talented but Amare and Chandler were just pushing him under the bucket.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that is the best part about him playing instead of just sitting on the bench. next year starting in the preseason the pressure will be off. playing against chandler and dirk, and then hopefully either griffin/jordan or duncan/splitter that is crazy amount of quality big men to play against and learn from. and then to throw in practicing against dwight howard.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His defensive positioning is pretty bad, and he definitely needs to get stronger, but he is going to be very solid for us going forward and his potential is insane. You could even say that his ceiling is...through the roof?

11. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

You would think Dorsey would be able to hold Amare but he would probably make the same foul as the rookie and then run back and not do much at the other end...

12. cml750

cml750 Member

This kid is someone who could REALLY benefit from working with Dream.

13. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

What's crazy is the Rockets drafted him with the idea he wouldn't come over this year, because they needed is cap space to go sign Bosh. My how things change over the course of the year. Bosh has a medical condition and Capela comes off the bench as a raw rookie to put up 8-6-2 in 16 minutes. Which would translate to around 18-13-5 in 36 minutes. The biggest difference is on the defensive end where he was a fouling machine earlier this year. I do think he plays the pick and roll pretty well for a rookie.

1 person likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Definitely, especially at his young age.

15. Mattician

Mattician Member

Great game, Capela!

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

ITS HAPPENING!!!

FINALLY!!!

IVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE THE BEGINNING!!!

17. HookemHorns1250

Overall I was pleased with Clint's start. He rebounded well, and challenged quite a few shots. I felt he was just nervous at the beginning, missing a few rotations, and being a 'bit passive on the offensive side of the ball when I thought he should take the ball and attack the rim on a few pick and rolls rather than passing it off.

However, as the game went on he seemed to feel more comfortable on both offense and defense. It's amazing that he's so young.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The kid has something. Aside from the obvious skill, he was completely fearless out there tonight. Salute.

19. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Excited to see Capela getting the backup C minutes. He brings more to the table than Joey on the offensive side and he can still challenge shots on defense. He's got work to do but he's gonna be a keeper man. Also, I think his free throw form is pretty damn good for a guy with such a terrible percentage. When he shoots them now I fully expect him to knock down at least 1/2, which is more than I can say when I see Howard, Smith, or Dorsey at the line. The one thing I noticed too was Smith needs to stop coming over to try and block shots and box out his man when Capela's guy is backing him down. Capela will still challenge any shot because of his wingspan. I'll take a contested shot in the paint than having an easy put back because Josh is over helping.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sorry but is this the same thing as american soccer? I'm not familiar with the term. I find it an interesting statement because early in Dreams basketball life, so much of his footwork was attributed to his time as a soccer player. Not trying to compare one to the other, just an interesting coincidence.