1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New android user, can someone help me with a few Q's?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

So I just got a new basic android phone, it's called the Samsung Admire. Does everything I need it to.

However, I have a few Q's..

1- I downloaded firefox browser, and yet, it's still slow. For example, just to see the speed of the browser, I tried going on CF but it was a huge lag fest. Can someone tell me why its so slow? My ipod touch's internet browser is faster than this new android.

2 - The phone has just 150 MB of internal storage, and I have a 2 GB memory card. Everything i've downloaded so far has taken memory off of the internal storage which i feel has been slowing the phone down. Is there a way to have all of my downloads be on my memory card instead of the internal storage?

Thanks.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Try a different browser like Dolphin or even just the stock browser. On my tablet I like Boat, Maxthon, and my current browser, Go NEXT

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Sounds like the problem here is the device you bought. Extremely out-dated and 150mb will never be useful. If you still can, return it right away? Firefox is very heavy and doesn't play nice on older devices. I'd probably just use the default browser the phone came with.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, that phone is pretty outdated and not very powerful, at least by modern smartphone standards (both with its hardware and software). You can tweak a few things, but it will likely never be that great at web browsing (compared to modern smartphones). Your iPod Touch might be much more powerful (and iOS is pretty efficient too, especially compared to Gingerbread).

I forgot how un-rooted phones work. Samsung might have limited the use of microSD such that you can only store pictures/video on it (taken with the camera). If you can root the device and/or put CyanogenMod on it, you might be able to put regular downloads, among other things, on a microSD card (voided warranty and all that though). Or maybe there's some option somewhere that will allow you to use it for other things, but I'm not sure how Samsung does it on the Admire.

5. mikennite

mikennite Member

6. treeman

treeman Member

What network are you on? Your iPod Touch is running on your wifi, while the phone is likely running on the cell network. Your network probably sucks.

And the phone is obsolete. Bothing you do to it is going to make it perform much better. It's an old version of Android and it has a slow processor. As for storage space you can try Apps2SD card to free up some space, but really, if you can I'd just take the phone back if you can and get something more up to date.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I use Opera on mine. Firefox/Chrome is good for the pc/laptop, but don't think they're good for hand held devices. Also update your phone if you can afford it.

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

I probably could return it, but I'm not. It only cost around $25 brand new. And like I said, it does everything it needs me to. Just the processor is a little too slow for my liking, but I can adjust.

I will try Apps2SD card, thanks for that.

What do you mean update my phone if i can afford it? Did you mean upgrade my phone if i can afford it? Well, I can afford an upgrade, but I don't plan on doing so.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

Actually, maybe I can upgrade. Can someone please check this link and tell me if any of these phones are significantly better?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/Phones_&_More/Phones/$25/cat1450228

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Dolphin is the way to go for browsers.

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Given those choices, I would go for the LG Optimus M+. Higher megapixel camera (with flash) and more internal storage space (your complaint with the Samsung).

As others have said, Firefox is not a particularly fast mobile browser. I use either Boat or Next browser. Dolphin is also good, though I feel it's not quite as fast as it used to be.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

ok cool, and what about the processor?

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That is a really crap selection of phones, my man. 600MHz processors running Froyo and Gingerbread ... blech. I wouldn't even give those phones to my kid to use. If you want to function in 2013 as a mobile user, stretch yourself and move up to the $99 bracket at lesat.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah... he's almost better off having b-bob hook him up with a phone.

hell, he may consider getting that htc first (facebook phone) for 150 off ebay since it's essentially been discontinued, use it as a bring your own phone with another carrier, and immediately uninstall the facebook launcher. would probably still be better than the phones on the link he provided.

16. Swishh

Swishh Member

ok guys, please help me out here. is the lg optimus m that is listed on this link better than the samsung admire that i currently have? i only have a few days left to make my decision, since return policy ends in a few days.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

lg optimus + , sorry, there's a difference. the one in the link is lg optimus m +

aside from the better camera and more internal storage, is there anything else better about the lg optimus m + compared to samsung admire? is the processor faster?

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It is somewhat of a toss-up. As mentioned earlier, it looks to have a better camera, and it has more internal storage space (something you complained about). I think it has a smaller battery (capacity), so I'm guessing battery life might be worse. Processor is probably about the same (clocked the same, one might be a bit faster, but I doubt there's a huge difference...I can maybe pull benchmarks, but probably just looking at "slow" and "also slow"), so likely not any faster (same slow OS too).

Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother switching if given those choices, though it it is up to you (if the storage thing is a big issue, definitely could do it). As others have mentioned, I'd rather just pay a bit more and get a MUCH better device. Though if you're happy with the basics that this phone provides, and don't really care that much about web browsing, etc., you can just stick with this device.

All my opinion anyway.

edit: LG actually quotes slightly better battery times for talk and standby, though I don't always trust them (not always apples to apples). They're probably about the same as well. One might have slightly better battery life, while the other has a better screen or something.

#18 RC Cola, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This is the best answer right here.

Buy an HTC First off of eBay and turn off the FB home. Stop wasting time with these crap things. You'll think you're saving money now but you'll just end up hating the decision for the next year or two.

20. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I hope you're not signing a two year contract with these devices. Those are horrible phones