1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

new addition to the jersey

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by speedball, Jun 2, 2009.

1. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

on the video higlights day 8: http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html the texans players have a texans logo patch on the upper right side of the front of the jersey. if this is a new addition, I will be very happy. I have always hated that there was no logo on the jersey itself.

does anyone know if this is for real?

2. speedball

you see it when they are interviewing glover quinn.

3. speedball

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It looks like some of the players don't have it - at first I thought it was just rookies, because I saw Cushing have one as well. Then I saw that Diles had one too, so maybe it's just a first and second year thing?

At first glance, I'm not a big fan of it - I don't think it fits where they have it now. Maybe they can put a mini-Texans logo on the back under the collar or something.

I'm still more bothered by the mirror image logo on the left side of the helmets. You spend all that time and money in building a brand with that logo and for the half the game, all you see is the non-standard logo on the side of the helmet. I get that Toro would be looking the other way, but having him look the right way hasn't produced a winning season yet, lol.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Somehow I have never noticed that. I had to go find some pictures to look closely at it, but it all blends together so much that it's hard to tell. Interesting...

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I never noticed that either. Going to go take a look.

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

My understanding is it is for practice jersey's only. The team is looking to sell that space to an advertiser and needed to show them what a logo would look like on that portion of the jersey. They expect to have a corporate logo there by training camp, but again this will only be for practice jerseys.

8. desihooper

Supporting Member

Left side of helmet:
    [​IMG]

Right side of helmet:
    [​IMG]

One showing both views:
    [​IMG]

9. speedball

There's the answer i was looking for, though not the one i wanted to hear. I wish we had a tiny logo somewhere on the shirt. I'll just have to make my own. thanks mattj. i like desihooper's idea of it being under the back collar.

10. msn

msn Member

Oh wow. The helmets, IMO, would look stooooooopid if they hadn't mirrored that logo.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6454428.html

The Texans won’t exactly be walking billboards come training camp, but the franchise is trying to sell sponsorship patches on its players’ practice uniforms this summer.

A new NFL rule allows teams to create such partnerships, which will be showcased on a patch, no larger than 3½-4½ inches, stitched into the left shoulder of the jerseys.

“It’s a rare opportunity for somebody to gain massive exposure for their brand and align so closely with the Texans persona,” team president Jamey Rootes said. “To be able to do those two things looks like a great way to create value for our partners and create revenue for our franchise.”

Sales of such sponsorships could be a significant way for teams to make extra money in a down economy. The Dynamo learned as much in 2007, the year Houston’s MLS franchise began a uniform-sponsorship agreement with Amigo Energy that continues to this day.

“It’s a natural evolutionary step in sports marketing,” said Dynamo president and general manager Oliver Luck. “It’s probably something Major League Baseball and perhaps even the NBA will look at. It’s a very important piece of the soccer industry.”

This week, the Texans placed their own logo on the shoulder of the players’ uniforms to show prospective sponsors where their patches would be located.

“There has been a tremendous amount of interest,” Rootes said. “It’s one of those rare opportunities where you are inextricably linked with the team that the fans love so much on the field. You are there. You are residing with our team from a practice perspective. They saw the value and are very interested. And now as we have put the patches on to get a visual representation of where you could be, it’s really kind of sparked even greater interest in looking at this opportunity.”

Luck, a former NFL quarterback with the Oilers, says the decision makes sense.

“Soccer teams have been doing it since the ’70s,” he said. “Because soccer is the most popular sport in the world, you have a broad acceptance from fans around the world that it’s appropriate to put advertising on soccer jerseys. And it’s a small step to go from a soccer jersey to a football, basketball or baseball jersey.”

Rootes said he does not know how much money the Texans eventually will gain from the sponsorships. The WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury franchise is also shopping for a jersey sponsor.

“We think the value could be significant,” Rootes said. “Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly, we are tabulating the exposure value associated with this. But there’s a second component, which is the alignment value — residing so closely to the identity of the Houston Texans for a consumer brand. That’s why people do sports sponsorships.”

NFL Europe sold uniform sponsorships until the league’s demise in 2007.

“I thought it worked very well,” said Luck, NFL Europe’s former president and CEO. “The sponsors liked it, I thought it looked pretty good, and the fans accepted it.”

The Texans would like to have an advertising relationship in place by the end of July, when camp opens. Rootes said he is unsure whether the league will approve sales of such sponsorships on game jerseys.

“In the National Football League, we are calculated and measured in our evolution of things as it relates to the on-field product,” Rootes said. “This is a first step. At an appropriate time, there will be a good bit of discussion and debate and recapping the experience, and then whatever the next step will be I’m sure will be carefully thought out.”

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm trying to think of teams with animal logos that don't mirror the logo on the helmet. There aren't any. The only teams that don't mirror the logo are ones with text based logos like the Giants, Jets, Packers, 49'er, etc... and of course the Steelers who only use one side.

13. desihooper

Supporting Member

I understand why they did it - so the star-shaped eye doesn't face the wrong way, but what I'm saying is that it totally changes the look of the logo. If you look at the Panthers, Jaguars, Bills, or Patriots, their logo looks the same even though it's mirrored. The Texans logo looks different - maybe they should've gone with something more symmetrical like the other teams did. It's a minor beef, but it's my beef, lol.

14. msn

msn Member

I disagree that the whole look and feel of the logo are changed. It looks great, imo. Seriously--put that logo on precisely the same, not mirrored, on each side of that helmet and have a realistic look at it. We're talking laughingstock stupid here.

The BEST helmet logos were the columbia blue oil derricks on each side. :(