1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Never pick a big to be your franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 22, 2021.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yeah it has never worked out before

[​IMG]

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is very hard to judge them on the collegiate level or in the G League.

If the Top 3 are all going to be stars, then you can't re-create the Playoff environment.

You have to judge their strength in mentality on the fly and that's nearly impossible.

And yes, Anthony Davis is more of a regular season player, there I said it.

I have been down on AD the last years.

The Playoffs are all that matters to me. You guys can have the regular season for yourselves.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For me Christian Wood is too soft.

I am not really impressed.

4. csc177

csc177 Member

You knew, very easily that booker was no Danny green at Kentucky. Dude had a very all star type of came to him, even then.

suns lucked up and put great pieces around him ( and they just may win a chip this year)

5. HardenVolumeOne

that was old school, this new run and gun era.. bigs will have injuries and back problems

gogispade likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Like how people knew Haliburton and Donovan Mitchell were special right? Booker was just a future all star and everybody knew this back in college

Booker in college: 10 pts 2 rebs 1 ast
    Herro in college: 14.5 pts 4 rebs 2.5 ast

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

dont compare Mobley to Duncan or Hakeem please... and the nba is different right now, you literally need guy like Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq to pick a guy at top pick. And those type of guys are clear #1s any draft, we have #2. It's way easier to hit homerun/potential hof with forwards and guards

ashleyem likes this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im ****in pissed we missed Cade

sydmill and J.R. like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah thank god Mobley is a new school big and can shoot just like other guards today.

How many injuries do Mike Conely and Kyrie Irving have now? You act like no guard gets injured ever

You realize Jalen Green is a DRose clone right? He relies on his athleticism, quickness and speed he jumps with an extreme vertical and dunks with lots of force. Guys like him are always a bad landing away from season ending injury.

AleksandarN likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

You should be thankful we got to keep our pick.

AleksandarN, csc177 and Rockets Rule like this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

Tim Duncan, Shaq, David Robinson, The dream, Ewing, Yao and Kareem all would like a word with you.

you can absolutely draft a big to be a cornerstone of your franchise, if you don’t win a chip you’d at least get a HOFer.

…..nonetheless, Mobley would probably not have neither of those (a ring and HoF career) so I agree with your overall premise not to draft him.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is very intriguing.

Everyone is so good haha, it is a fortune.

14. Milos

Milos Member

Mobley is just barely 20
    He is no physically weaker or thinner than Davis, Durant or Garnett when they entered the league
    All 4 were/are basically the exact same combination frame/build + skillset as rookies:
    - near 7' , but with guard-like OFF skills rarely seen at that height
    - long spider limbs to provide invaluable DEF versatility inside and out that portend eventual 2way stardom
    - narrow shoulders & thin lower half that must add 25-30 lbs to reach full potential near the basket
    - generational level of athleticism for NBA big standards ... comparable to above average NBA wings/guards - agile footwork, quick vertical explosion, soft hands, exceptional balance

The other 3 did add the bulk and refined the rough edges in their OFF skills:
    - Davis developed a competent post game to punish smaller DEF when advantageous
    - Durant evolved into a legit secondary playmaker capable of running the offense and creating for teammates off the dribble
    - Garnett added the isolation skills to become a premium go-to scorer and #1 option
    Each went on to become MVPs, champions, and fulfilled their rare HoF potential

No reason Mobley cannot follow down that path
    He can develop the assertiveness and 1-on-1 OFF game to become a primary scoring threat like KG did
    He can expand the ball-handling potential he flashes into a reliable option to attack from the perimeter when a slow, heavy big tries to guard him just as Durant has done
    He can become a knock down 3pt shooter and occasional post option to offer 3-level scoring the way Davis now does

15. Milos

Milos Member

Booker looked like a Klay Thompson clone coming out
    Big wings with beautiful shots and average athletic potential
    I think they both got drafted somewhere in the #8-12 range, so it's fair to say they have exceeded prospect expectations
    But it's not like either came out of nowhere to become NBA stars

Klay's game is now built around his elite shooting and DEF excellence
    Booker's has shown nothing close on DEF, despite being slightly more athletic

On OFF, Booker has made massive strides in ways we'll never know if Klay could have due to the presence of Curry and later KD
    He has become a very good primary ball-handler, way better as a penetrator, playmaker, and inside finisher than I ever thought he would be
    While Klay may be the better catch-and-shoot threat from deep, Booker is close, and Devin has become much better than Klay rising up off the dribble

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody said he was the Franchise player to begin with.

I mean KPJ could end up being the Franchise player for all I know.

You can also draft to obtain the secondary star.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can you list the years these guys dominated? Do any of them happen to dominate in the 2010s and 2020s?

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Generally I would agree, but Mobley has a chance to be a generational player. You have to really think about taking him. Green intrigues me as well, but Mobley is so talented... Hard to figure how Anthony Davis is an example of why not to pick a big. He was surrounded by terrible teams, and frustrated with a clueless front office in NO. You have to hope the Rockets can be better than that. History would say they are. Queue the Tilman jokes.

HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's just it. If those guys played during those years they absolutely would have dominated. Maybe moreso than they did during their careers. The problem is that the true franchise big is a dying breed, but when one comes over and sits in your lap, you should definitely hit.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The agenda with Tilman is you do not even believe him if he says 'Oh, we are doing everything in our power to win a ship.'

I just cannot believe a word out of his mouth for some reason, lmao.

Never shut up and never listen.