1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Never pick a big to be your franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 22, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not a fan of big man "projects". Giannis is like the only one I can think of. I always hear that big men takes time to develope but then I think about Hakeem, Duncan, AD, Shaq etc they all started dominating when they stepped into the NBA.

I guess there's Jokic, but hes a euro big with skills it's hard to compare him to American bigs

2. zmomin

zmomin Member

on record as pro-evan mobley. we absolutely should pick him over jalen green.

this guy is a unicorn level prospect. jalen green is zach lavine.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

That is the question.

Davis was considered the better player at the same age.

Jokic was not viewed as anything special when he was drafted.

Embiid was viewed as a walking injury.

Zion only plays one side of the game.

Mobley is viewed as someone with very high defensive upside. Then again scouts felt the same about KAT.

It all comes down to what the scouts think of Mobley. If they think he can be an elite defender that can score and shoot from the outside.. then you take Mobley.

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

What do you mean? Hakeem played like a guard. He shot 20 foot jumpers.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t really consider Mobley a project, especially compared to Jalen Green.

Mobley has areas of his game to work on but he was very productive in college.

What I don’t know about Mobley is whether his heart is in the game. I look at someone like Joe Barry Carol and see a player with a lot of ability but no fire or drive… is that Mobley? Is Mobley in the middle (drive wise) like Chris Bosh or is he a killer? The talent is there for him to be an all star many times over… but is he complacent like KAT or is he driven like Jokic? I don’t know… quiet bigs rub people the wrong way… but Robert Parrish was a quiet big and was very competitive.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Only Hakeem and Dirk won championships being the only all-stars on their team, that's not fair to say. Lebron didn't even do it, Lebron needed AD more than AD needs him at their stage of their careers.

Ayton's 3rd most important player...but CP3 has barely played in the playoffs, so Ayton has been their 2nd most important player.

Draymond was the Warriors big is my point though, every championship team features a reall good at least all-star level big.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Won championships? AD couldn’t even make the playoffs or be .500 most years

AD would still be leading squads to the lottery without Lebron…Lebron needs AD so much only because he’s in his mid-30’s

Barely played? Lol, he’s only missed 2 games in these playoffs, and it’s because of Covid protocols. How have u been in 83% of the games playing 31 mpg, but you’ve barely played? I haven’t even mentioned the impact CP3 had during the regular season which is why he was an All-Star, 2nd Team All-NBA, and 5th in MVP voting. So no, Ayton has not been their 2nd most important player. He’s not even close.

Suns fans would not be happy with Ayton as their #1 overall pick if they didn’t already have Booker and now CP3…they’d be crying about not selecting Luka or Trae Young, but u don’t see them crying right now because Booker and CP3 are there and they’re a very good team so it’s fine having their #1 pick Ayton as their 3rd best and 3rd most important player

and my point is that pretty much every good team has a perimeter player as their best player unless they have a big that is Embiid or Jokic caliber or Giannis who still handles the ball a ton and is basically a perimeter player that can’t shoot because it is perimeter players/playmakers that have the most impact and are leading teams to titles…it is not a big man’s league

#87 Reeko, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

this…he’s also gotten KG comparisons

if he’s KG, Jokic, Embiid tier, then by all means, scoop him up with the 2nd pick…I doubt he is tho

ashleyem likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I tend to agree that you shouldn't build around a big man

But it also seems like a lot of you know nothing about Evan Mobley

glynch, HTXSportsAddict and JayGoogle like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Your argument that AD needs Lebron to win championships as if most players, HOF players, don't need a HOF running mate to win it all. That he didn't make the playoffs some years speaks more about the crappy teams he's been dealt and a tough western conference that was historically tough to make. His best running mate was Cousins who got hurt...

CP3's impact on these playoffs has been about equal to Ayton. The first round Ayton was NECESSARY, you can look at all the advanced stats and game box scores, check em. Ayton was a huge reason they made it the 2nd round.

Ayton tonight, a big reason they go up 2-0. Him and Payne led the way tonight. If the suns don't have Ayton they don't even get past the first round this year, not even out of the first.

Giannis doesn't even need to handle the ball as much as he does, they had him off ball against the Heat a lot and dominated them. The only reason they hand him the ball that much is because he wants to do it. He even admitted that it was hard being off the ball during the Heat series and admitted he didn't like it. So they give him those BS possessions which is why their offense is trash, bringing up Giannis as an example of it is not a good example because the Bucks would be just fine with Jrue handling most of those duties.

I think your point is to devalue the big man, I never said that Ayton didn't need Booker, I said that you still NEED a good big man to win championships. MDA's dream of small ball has never worked in the history of the NBA and my guess is it never will. It's still a big man's league because you ain't winning a championship without one. that's not to say you don't need a guard, you do too, but you still need interior defense, you still need rebounds, and you still need height.

leganzaro likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I never said a word about AD and championships. U brought that up yourself and then want to claim that it’s my argument? How does that work? I said AD has pretty much done nothing in his career aside from the time he’s been with Bron. He made the playoffs twice, and then every other year couldn’t even be .500. He did nothing. Forget championships, AD needs Bron just to consistently make the playoffs or even be above .500

there are several players that could’ve made the playoffs more consistently with those Pelicans squads or at least manage .500…Dame right now could’ve done it, and even Russ back when he was still a superstar…I won’t even mention guys like Harden because that’s an obvious one

CP3 is flat out better and more impactful than Ayton, period…he is the All-Star, All-NBA, MVP candidate…he is the reason PHX ascended to the top of the West…this stuff is not even debatable

If the Suns don’t have CP3, then they would’ve been nowhere near the 2nd seed. They would’ve been nowhere near contender status. But somehow Ayton is their 2nd most impactful player because CP3 has barely played in the playoffs even tho he’s played in 10 out of the 12 games so far.

You’re really gonna bring up some mediocre Miami team? The same Jrue that averaged 15 and 6 on 36/26/73 shooting splits against BK? That Jrue? Let’s not act like Jrue is some top tier creator because he’s not. The real reason their offense is trash is because they can’t shoot come playoff time and have to rely on mediocre creators like Jrue and Middleton who often struggle along with Giannis and his deficiencies.

Nah, it’s not a big man’s league. Most of the top players in this league are perimeter players and guys that can playmake. Most of the rising young stars are perimeter players. The guys leading their teams to titles are perimeter players and guys that can make plays.

nobody said u don’t need a big man, but we are the worst team in the league with #2 overall pick, and you’re bringing up guys like Ayton and Draymond as if their teams aren’t being led by perimeter players

like I said earlier, the only reason Suns fans are fine with Ayton as their selection with the #1 overall pick is because they already had their franchise player in Booker, CP3 is now there, and they’re 1 of the best teams in the league, so selecting someone #1 overall who is their 3rd best and 3rd most important player isn’t a problem now

12. larry cook

larry cook Member

Agree, unfortunately this draft doesn't contain that level of dominance at center. Mobley is intriguing but isn't Embid or Jokic like talent. He's similar to a poor mans Jaren Jackson with a Bol Bol frame. Mobley has lesser skills, a smaller frame, and between the two the less aggressive player. Seems like a great starter to maybe all star in a few years. Green is a hybrid between Zach Lavine and Indiana Paul George. The potential for Suggs or Mobley seems nearly capped while players like Green and Kuminga will be tiers better in years to come. Cade might very well follow the Luka, Dame, and Donovan trend of entering the league while not missing a beat but think of players like Booker, Lavine, and Giannis progressions in terms of Green and Kuminga. (Very high upside) for already good players. Either way Green will score 20 a night but what he becomes later while learning the nuances of the league will be something special.

mike2k132 and ashleyem like this.
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

This person here...gets "it". I hate soft skinny bigs. I don't wanna see 2 in the same front court. I rather hoard wings then bigs.

larry cook likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're saying this as if AD has this long list of All-star teammates that he's failed with though...I mean Garnett in his very prime couldn't make the playoffs on terrible teams either...

What proof do we have of that though? Dame always had an all-star teammate. Russ sure, I mean he did it once. AD did it twice and even took his team to the 2nd round. I mean, he's done more in the playoffs than Luka has...

Who is arguing he's not? I'm arguing that they still wouldn't have made it out of the first round without Ayton. I'm talking about championships too, that's cool and all, all that regular season stuff is cool and all, but what happens when you need rebounds and interior defense? Chris Paul got that locked down too?

What did he average against Miami? My point was that they didn't need Giannis creating constantly, a point you agreed with in the series thread that Giannis shouldn't be creating offense and now you're arguing that their offense needs it?

Really?

Zion, Sabonis, Embiid, Jokic, Giannis, these guys don't exist?

I think it's foolish that the only knock on Mobley people have is "He's a big." as if drafting a guard guarantees he's going to be a great player, as if guards can't be busty. Like this is really the main knock people have against him that he's a big...like a big can't carry teams or be an elite player anymore but just because Green's a guard he has a better chance at being an elite player? That's silly to me. Both of these guys have about as equal a chance to bust, there ain't no Lebron's or KD's in this draft that are guaranteed stars, none of these guys in this draft ar bust proof, they just all have higher floors which makes the draft deep but Green could very well just be some empty scoring SG that does nothing else on your team but score.

Ayton really won his team a huge game tonight too so it's kind of odd to be devaluing him right now too.

It's still a big man's league because again, you still need a big man. If you agree that you still need a big man than how can it still not be a big's league?

I mean, they could be fine with him right now because he won them a game and was their 2nd best player during the first series when they really needed him to be. I think being 2 wins away from the finals means they are going to be fine with him.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Traditional BIGS died once Shaq retired and Yao fell. Hopefully we get someone who can be a big name.

larry cook likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, I'm not even opposed to drafting Green but I hate this idea that we should just draft him over Mobley because he's a guard and Mobley is a center.

Like we have the #2 pick in the draft, you pick the player with the most potential, you don't draft need.

There is no difference between drafting for need and ignoring the potential of a player because of his position. You think guys like AD, Zion, Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, etc wouldn't get drafted #2? Anyone drafting Mobley #2 thinks he has that potential, some scouts think he's one of the best big prospects to come out since AD...like we shouldn't be ignoring his potential just because of his position.

#96 JayGoogle, Jun 23, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  17. jayfree

jayfree Member

In that case maybe pick Green and hope Mobley falls to 23 ;)

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This team has a history of traditional great bigs.

You have to break the mold.

I do think you can find D in the market and with lower picks.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All depends on how ready he is.

How is he in comparison to the others?

If you pass on let's say Kawhi for an AD light? (looks like Bosh)

Evan is one of those guys you want him to play professionally rather than in college.

#99 daywalker02, Jun 23, 2021
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally, I think he's ready.

This man is 19 and he already has a go to post move, that's kind of crazy. He's also a really REALLY good passer...at 19. That's crazy for me, you don't really see that with big man. He has a little jump hook he does...at 19. We have guys like Giannis that still haven't gotten that down. I imagine with more work down low he's going to become an auto-bucket in the low post...you pair that with his defensive ability which most scouts agree is his strong suit and you have a franchise big if not a top 10 player if he puts it together.

I'm not really against drafting the other guys, Suggs or Green...but I do want to ask the people that are sooo against Mobley what flaws and what's the red flag? Because I think the red flag should be something more in depth than "He's a center." like a lot of arguments I hear against mobley is that he's a center and I think people are missing the skillset he has.

Plus yeah...Rockets have a history with great bigs, why not?

glynch and HTXSportsAddict like this.