1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Network dead: Fox Sports Net to carry Rockets games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 30, 2004.

1. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

What do we do if we do not have cable :confused:

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

tonights game is on 51 and if it goes to only cable...then your answer would be to get cable or go to a bar each game.

3. CharlieChan

CharlieChan Member

Well I live in Beaumont, TX and TIme Warner did not broadcast the Rockets Toronto game on ANY channel; I also have the NBA League Pass basketball option (at $169) and NBA1 on Time Warner had that Rockets game BUT it was BLACKED OUT IN BEAUMONT!

I'm certain the DIRECTV dish netweork is the same since I had both that last year (with NBA League Pass) plus Time Warner; and only TNT broadcast a Rockets game; once in a while ESPN would broadcast a game - but that was usually blacked out too.

So - same old crap from the Rockets and the NBA; their fans not at the game are screwed!!! We were better off years ago with over the air broadcasting and NO cable; at least Friday thru Monday plus Thursday was filled with games and it was FREE! I think its all a racket and crooked as hell and they're out to screw the fans.The Rockets PR team sucks and I think I will just become a Lakers fan - at least I can see their games.

4. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Hey dude, ask dakota for the tip ;) ;)

5. DaveSavage

DaveSavage Member

i'm guessing TV51 isn't offered in Beaumont - - why are you more upset this year... that's nothing new.. as soon as they put games on FSSW, if they do, you should be able to get it..

the rockets/raptors game was the only one i was able to get last night.. bad weather interefered w/the satelite signal on every other league pass channel... though, considering the outcome, i kind of wish the rockets had been blacked out too...

nobody panic, rockets always stink it up against teams like toronto on the road... they did last year.. in fact, expect these guys to start 0-3... they'll still win 50..

6. jrsr34

jrsr34 Contributing Member

LOL..it's b/c they usually have interns answering phones (I used to be one)

7. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

i live in nyc and sometime the rockets will bon the spanish channel,i don't speak spanish but i love to watch the games on it because thshow the cheerleaders almost as much as the game.

8. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2885571

Astros, Rockets closer to new broadcast deal
    Sides agree on financial terms, but issues remain
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The Astros, Rockets and Fox Sports Net Southwest have agreed on financial terms of a new broadcast contract, but the parties remain at odds on other elements of the deal that could delay Rockets games from switching to FSN until next week at the earliest.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Industry sources have said the new contracts could total as much as $31 million a year for the Astros and $25 million for the Rockets. Astros executive Bob McClaren and Bob Thompson, president of Fox Sports Networks, said those figures were too high but declined to provide specifics.

Another source said a more likely number for the Astros would be $25 million per year, which still would nearly triple the $9.19 million the team will receive in 2005 under its current contract with FSN Southwest.

No additional estimates were available for the Rockets' portion of the deal. However, it is expected to be higher than the $18 million the team would receive each year from the Houston Regional Sports Network that the Rockets planned to start in conjunction with the Astros in the fall of 2005.

If the teams reach agreement on the new contract, they would abandon plans for their own network. Astros games would remain on FSN, their cable home since 1983, and Rockets games would return to FSN after a two-year absence.

McClaren said Thursday the teams had wanted to have the deal in time to air the Rockets-Raptors game Wednesday on FSN Southwest. However, he said, "We've run into a couple of roadblocks."

Wednesday's game aired on KNWS (Ch. 51), as will tonight's game at Memphis. The Tuesday game at Toyota Center against the Grizzlies is the earliest game that could move to cable if the sides wrap up negotiations early next week.

McClaren said the sides remain at odds over the length of the agreement, with the teams preferring a shorter deal — presumably less than 10 years — and FSN wanting a longer commitment. Also in question are video on demand and Internet rights, should they be returned by the NBA and Major League Baseball to the teams.

Thompson agreed with McClaren's description of the issues still being negotiated.

"The negotiations have been very productive," he said. "They've been tense, and they've been hard-fought and at times enjoyable."

Talks are taking place under a mediation order from the 1st Court of Appeals. If the sides cannot agree on a new contract, that court will hear an appeal filed by FSN of a Houston district judge's order terminating the Astros' current broadcast deal with FSN after the 2005 season.

9. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Godd find, thanks jrsr34

That's a great news for people that live in Beaumont area

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I ordered my new dish network service just for the RoX games & i even got DVR so i can record the games and watch them later too :)

11. kingxdingaling

So could some one tell me when this going to happen? Channel 51 sucks! even UPN was better than 51.