1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets will be competitive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Nets will likely go 2-9 or so over the next 11 before the deadline.

#181 Plowman, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

A lot of Nets fans want to be sellers at the deadline rather than buyers. They consider the picks to the Rockets a sunk cost and want to trade their veterans for picks. Dinwiddie and O'Neale are expiring contracts. They and DFS are all 30 years old and not in their future timeline. Claxton is also expiring and young and a valuable asset. They could add a lot of picks to the ones they got from Phoenix and Dallas, but the next two years are forfeit.

They're in the same position we were three years ago. We owed our picks to OKC through 2026, but blew it up anyway. What choice did we have?

Icehouse, Aruba77, Astrodome and 2 others like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But we had a window where if we got lucky with the way the balls bounced (with Jalen Green), we controlled our picks for a window of three years before we outright lost a pick. We took advantage of that with the idea being that as soon as OKC got our next pick, we'd be on the upswing. I still think they're going to get a lottery pick out of us, but it'll be a late lottery pick.

I hope you're right though. Would love for them to just blow it up. Even if they don't though, looks like we'll get somewhere between 7-11 from them this year. I'm guessing 8-9.

34to11 likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That would be realistic if they went that route. Their future draft is ****ed and they might be able to get a percentage of those lost assets back by trading what they got.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Those picks are incredibly valuable for us.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yeah, our situation was better because our picks are protected 1-4 whereas their picks are unprotected. There is a part of their fanbase which feels trading for Dejounte Murray will solve many of their problems and have no problem trading a few picks for him. I could see Brooklyn going either way. They have cap space in 2025 so may want to load up before then, which would lower the value of the 2026 pick owed to us.

Personally, I hope Murray gets traded to a team like the Lakers and really leave Brooklyn without options. Siakam is gone and Lavine does not address their needs.

Williamson likes this.
  7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Yea and I don't see that organization turning things around anytime soon. It'll be difficult to sign a star free agent there and they hardly have any assets to help make the team better via trades.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Make me want to play this season out even more to gauge Green. If he doesn’t improve I would combine him and the nets picks for a star, hopefully. Especially with Cam waiting in the wings.

I was lurking the Knicks board and they were still impressed with Green and still see the potential. I think generally ppl think Green is a victim of Silas and the culture left behind

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

then we got to move him before the “ime couldn’t fix him either” narrative gains traction. ;)

10. vince

vince Member

The Rockets would be fools to trade those Nets picks, unless they get a haul in return.

The Nets parlayed their future for hopes that Harden, Durant, and Kyrie would establish a juggernaut. Well that notion imploded faster than even the harshest critics anticipated.

In the NBA, to succeed, you need a star with ferocious hunger to succeed. So when you combine that ferocity with top tier talent you have a superstar.

And you try and get those players at the top of the draft. Doesn’t always work out, but you got to keep trying.

Hence you anticipate that the Nets pick might garner one of them players, as the pick is looking quite promising.

MrButtocks and Plowman like this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We only needed them to be bad one time for all those picks and swaps to be brilliant.

Hopefully this is that year!

vince likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Picks in 24 and 26. Swaps in 25 and 27. I think they will yield 2-3 lotto picks.

Plowman and vince like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Jalen has elite athleticism and agility, which to some , translate to elite scoring ability. Look around the league and listen to interviews from players and players generally still believe in Jalen’s ability. Sengun and Jalen generally are viewed similarly by peers.

I have league pass and I always listen to the opponents broadcast to hear what they say. I’ve ATER to hear any of them talk negatively about Jalen. Matter of fact I’ve heard Sengun get more criticism than Green(because of his defense). But the analyst still are oblivious of Greene shortcomings lthats we’re aware of.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

hey I hope jalen is viewed favorably. But I bet they haven’t watched him as closely as I have. I don’t doubt the athleticism, but I think athleticism is overrated. Hard nosed, winning mentality, bball IQ and motor is underrated. I wouldn’t bash Stone for cutting his losses, regardless of the return. Jalen isn’t the kind of player that fits an Ime team.

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

None of them talk negatively about Jalen.

No one ever talks negatively about anyone in the same industry, no matter their thoughts on them.

There's a stark difference however with how people talk about Sengun and how people talk about Jalen.

With Jalen it is the same old rehashed remark about being a great scorer - ie they never watch him play. Or they comment on his athleticism and jumping ability.

With Sengun, they go into detail and give examples of what he does well.

it is night and day what commentary teams think of the two, and to be honest I think it is also night and day seeing how opposing layers interact with both of them.