1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets sign Luis Scola

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2016.

1. calcium

calcium Member

Cos of the small screen on my phone, I shift the display to just show only the text, which leaves out who commented.

Thus far, when I see some snarky comment about Lin in posts which has the ever slightest tenous link to the man, I try and guess the poster is. 3 out of 3 thus far.

Well done man. I applaud how you are able to cling on to things no matter how small or trivial.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. Was hoping he could have signed with San Antonio (irony aside) or another team going all-in.

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

It's his life as a Rockets fan. Cannot get over Lin. Tinman level.

The pathetic thing is, he actually think it's funny.

4. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Great, another solid reason to root for Nets!

5. dream2franchise

I think Dmo actually idolised Scola as a young player, so if anything it could be a sweetner!

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that the Nets DO have a pick in the next draft, but it's only that it's the lower of the Nets and the Celtics picks? So if the Nets get the #1 pick in the next draft and the Celtics get the #2 pick in the next draft, then the Nets will still get the #2 pick in the next draft, correct? So it may still be worth it for the Nets to tank if the Celtics are also really bad.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nets quietly coming together!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free agent Anthony Bennett has reached agreement on a two-year minimum deal with Brooklyn, sources tell The Vertical. First year guarantee.</p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/753628449109970944">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free agent guard Randy Foye has agreed on a one-year deal with the Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/TheVertical">@TheVertical</a>.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/753634332967772160">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Celtics won 48 games last season and just added Al Horford. It is unlikely for the Celtics to be really bad.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Like others, I wish we'd signed him.

Viva Scola!!

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Unless they are paying these guy a ton of money, it seems that the Nets are gonna be well under the salary cap and even the salary floor. They also have 15 guys under contract-- but can take more before cutting down to 15 at the end of the preseason.

I wonder what their play is. Using room to take on unwanted players? Waiting for an opportunity to arise? Is there a remaining significant FA they want to chase?

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

They may not be tanking now, but, at some point during the season, in the unlikely case that the Celtics underachieve, the Nets may have a reason to change course and start tanking instead of playing to win, correct?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Given that they sent all their picks away, you'd think they'd want to be as competitive as possible but I kinda like what they're doing.

They swung & missed on their two main big money targets and are now sitting back or signing minimum priced free agents. Be easy to go out and spend stupid money but they did not.

Building this back up, gonna take awhile.

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

They wanted to win.

Honestly, the NBA destroying the integrity of basketball in order to gain more casual fans has made it almost unwatchable.

I really do think what we're seeing now is simply the repercussions of constant poor long term business decisions. I definitely see that trend of
    Rising popularity reversing, and a lot sooner than most think.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a great find! Morey vouching for Scola to the Nets brass. nice.