1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets offer $50m for Tyler Johnson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol Riley, eat that.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

$50 million for 7 starts his ENTIRE career

Avgs in those 7 starts, 36MPG:
    9.6 pts, 4.9 rbs, 2.7 assists, .430 FG%, .300 3pt%, .625 FT%,
    Advanced: 89 offensive rating, 110 DRTG

He certainly did not shine when he was a starter, there wasnt a John-sanity stretch. He was bad on both sides of the ball. Still, numbers do not tell the whole story. Johnson has good shooting ability and plays with purpose, kinda like a lefty Courtney Lee. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up his shooting while being featured more.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did we already know Rox went after this guy? I can't remember if it was reported this summer..

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would take him. If he can defend PG's he would look excellent next to Harden.

Do they want Brewer? lol

Dude, I would do that without blinking. By year 3 (2018-2019 season) $18.8m is going to be nothing for a 3&D player. Plus we will have suppressed our cap numbers in year 1 and year 2, allowing us to maintain flexibility in signing free agents next summer which is the REAL re-loading summer for us.

If he can defend PG's, I understand why the Rockets were at his doorstep and why the Heat matched. $12.5m for 4 years is overpaying, but not by much. The market for 3&D guards has exploded, so it's no surprise. It just happens to suit the direction of the NBA. More 3's are available to be taken, more players that can take them are needed, so they'll get paid well if they can play defense too.

#44 Mathloom, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, i meant they went after him during free agency this summer. I don't remember if it was reported then or since..

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Isn't the cap expected to go back down after next year (assuming the BRI split remains the same in the new CBA)?

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know enough about it. You mean there's a possibility the cap shrinks? Or do you mean it will just freeze? Damn if the cap shrinks teams will be really screwed.