1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets' Jefferson Out For Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by macho GRANDE, Jan 11, 2005.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

No slackin off for Vince now.

ESPN

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New Jersey Nets leading scorer Richard Jefferson will miss the rest of the season with a ruptured ligament in his left wrist.

Jefferson is expected to have surgery soon and he will be sidelined until at least late May, Nets president Rod Thorn said Tuesday.

"It's basically a four-month rehab, so he will be out the rest of the season," Thorn said, crediting Jefferson for playing while injured. "Obviously, this is a blow for us."

The 24-year-old Jefferson hurt his wrist in a game against the Pistons in Detroit on Dec. 27. Chauncey Billups was called for a flagrant foul for a midair shove on Jefferson in the second quarter. Jefferson landed hard on his side and stayed down for several moments, but stayed in.

Jefferson, a member of the U.S. bronze-medal Olympic team in Athens, aggravated the injury last week in Milwaukee during a game against the Bucks.

An MRI on Monday revealed the tear, which is the latest woe to beset the three-time defending Atlantic Division champions since the end of last season.

After being eliminated in the Eastern Conference semifinal in seven games by the eventual NBA champion Pistons, the Nets' new ownership dismantled the team because of economic concerns.

All-Star forward Kenyon Martin, who was a restricted free agent, was signed and dealt to Denver because the Nets could not afford to match the Nuggets' offer. Kerry Kittles was dealt to the Clippers and fellow guard Lucious Harris was waived. The situation was exacerbated when perennial All-Star point guard Jason Kidd had knee surgery and missed the first month of the season.

The Nets (12-21) seemed to rebound last month when Vince Carter was acquired from Toronto in a major deal that gave New Jersey an outstanding 1-2-3 combination of Kidd, Jefferson and Carter.

However, the wrist injury has now removed Jefferson, who signed a contract extension this summer worth $78 million over the next six years.

Until the injury, Jefferson had been one of the Nets' most durable and exciting players.

Acquired in a draft-day trade with Houston in 2001, the athletic swingman had missed only five games in his first three years.

Playing in all 33 games this year, Jefferson averaged 22.2 points and 41.1 minutes, both team highs.

The former University of Arizona product had a career-high, 42-point game against Cleveland on Dec. 22. Three nights earlier he had a 38-point game against Toronto.

The runner-up for the NBA rookie of the year in 2001-02, Jefferson also had career highs with 21 rebounds and 57 minutes played in a double overtime win over Chicago on Nov. 5.

Jefferson averaged team-highs with 18.5 points and 38.2 minutes last season, playing in a career-high 82 games.

2. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I was just about to post that... sux for the Nets.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That blows terribly for the Nets. I wonder if they could use a guy like MoT now? They obviously lose scoring with Jefferson out, and they have always been undersized, but I wonder if they would be willing to toss us a TE or picks for one of our PFs?

4. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

I am worrying about that if they will give up this season.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That sucks. They should suspend Chauncey Billups for the rest of the season too; if you knock somebody out with a flagrant like that you should suffer the same fate.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

well that sucks for the nets. Just heard this on ESPN radio 790.

7. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

The curse of the Vince "Half Man, Half a Season" Carter strikes again!

8. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I don't see anyone on their roster worth picking up that would do use any good. There would have to be a 3rd team involved so would could try and pick up a PF.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They have a $10 million and a $5 million trade exemption. Mo would fit within the larger one, CD's already called them, Thorn has already hung up on him.

They're trying to get Cliff Robinson out of the Warriors (last year of his contract). They've also turned up their noses at PJ Brown. The Nets are desparate for help, but they aren't taking garbage contracts for short-term relief.

Scary as it sounds though, I don't think getting rid of Mo T for nothing during the season is the way to go. A Spoon-Howard only depth chart would frighten children.

Evan

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Nets have a team full of expiring contracts... If MoT was to be traded getting Radman in the off-season would get a whole lot easier. :D

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Let me add that letting KMart walk was a wise choice for this team. He is definitely worth the amount he makes now. He is overrated. They made a mistake in not finding a suitable replacement for the sort of services he offered. Maybe they should have Offer Mourning (or even the twin) to the Magic for Varejo and Gooding.

Good luck to nets - at least for Vince's sake and to a small extent JKidd.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Big blow for the Nets.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I wonder who will take his spot. I just picked up Rodney Buford on my fantasy b-ball team.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

See there? The Rockets have been vindicated for trading Jefferson to the Nets!

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

Rockets play the the Nets after the Mavs which barring a miracle should be a loss. Rockets should win against the Nets for sure given this news.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

That piece of shht, I never liked him or his big mouth (ie. "so and so has no talent")......I mean I don't wish this kind of injury on any player, but if it had to happen I'm glad it was him and not about 448 other players in the league (kobe can break both wrists for all I care!)

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

Has padgett succumbed to some injury I haven't heard about?

Otherwise, what does MO gives that Padgett can't, especially this season?