1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix TV Series] Cowboy Bebop (Live Action)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No I hate spending more money on streaming.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

1 episode in. That was awful. Hope to god whoever makes a live action trigun show does a better job.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

2 episodes in: I think it's good for what it is. We all know we have seen much worse when anime is ported to live action. They are giving me way too much story on Julia and Vicious. It was better when it was vague. Vicious is much less vicious menacing now that I know him.

these episodes are too long too.

#63 DreamShook, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Aware likes this.
  4. Beezy

Beezy Member

Sounds like the writing is bottom tier.

Invisible Fan and Entropy like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched ep 1&2 last night with my wife and we loved it.

I can see how people don’t like it; the hyperstylized hard boiled spaghetti western vibe is radically different than most things Americans watch. I think the closest thing I’ve seen is Sin City.

Music is fantastic, the background, especially the space scenes, is amazing. Actors do a good job playing their roles. I especially loved R. Kelly I’m his role as Jet.

clos4life and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked it better than the Anime

Rocket River

DreamShook and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Haven't seen it. Hope the series works out.

tbh I didn't catch onto the anime when it came out on adult swim until several episodes in.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I haven't watched the whole series yet ( i think it's fine for what I have seen so far), I've seen clips of Ed.. and oh boy...

I imagine the Ed adaption is what Faye's original anime costume would be like if it was adapted, lol

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

chill out, RR. I think the show is fine, but you're drunk. go to bed.

calurker and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I dunno why people are so hung up over the costume. It's not like they can't throw it on her later for some fanservice, or maybe devote a whole "swimsuit planet" episode as a bone for all the thirsty weebs out there.

dmoneybangbang and DreamShook like this.
  11. Beezy

Beezy Member

Watched the first 2 episodes. I was entertained and will keep watching.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finished it last night. Great show, Faye’s actor really grew on me. I could never get into Julia because the actor who plays her looks like she married a plastic surgeon and got every face tweak in the book.

I don’t think they could have done this show any other way. Some of the original characters were so over the top that the tone of the live action has to be stylized the way it was. I just think it was too avant garde for most American viewers. If it was directed by Tarantino, because if you watch his movies there are stylistic similarities, people would be gushing over the same end result.

I’m hoping for season two. It was a ballsy attempt that worked in most cases.

clos4life likes this.
  13. Beezy

Beezy Member

I was thinking it's similar in style to Robert Rodriguez stuff like Desperado (and Sin City, which you already mentioned). Desperado was actually an inspiration for the first episode of the anime.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I still can't get past how old the guy playing spike is and how he looks nothing like him it just takes me out.

Steve Yeung would have been much better or even a no-name.

I admit I have not watched an episode but just the clips I have watched seem to be too hyper-stylized, I will eventually give it a try but I don't think I will ever get past how they ****ed up with Spike, just one of the most iconic character ever.

I don't agree that the original characters were over the top and no it does not have to be that stylized it could have been more like Sin City.

It just looks too busy, like its trying too hard.

Entropy likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I liked it as well, I've watched episodes of both the anime and the live TV adaptation and I like the Netflix version better.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

I haven't watched all of them yet, time for me to change my opinion. So far, I think it's mostly nostalgia that's causing people to hate the live adaptation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What have you liked about it?

Not gonna lie the casting of Spike is gonna be a huge drawback for me but if the overall product is good I could get into it.

What makes it better than the anime which is a huge claim IMO.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I actually love John Cho as spike. I like the older, more world weary version and I think he is killing it. I love the vibe and feel of the live adaptation, I think it's extremely well done and a better production than the anime graphics. Not a big fan of Faye Valentine so far on the new show but everyone else has been great for me. Like I said, I haven't watched it all yet for both of them so give me some time but the overall product feels more modern, just good quality adaptation, but without nostalgia the live adaptation feels better.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Spike was not written as world-weary and older in the anime what made him so great was the devil-may-care attitude and the youthful indestructible attitude he had.

So it seems you telling the tone of the show is different as well?

Man, that's kind of scaring me, I will have to go ahead and watch some pretty soon but I am not liking hearing Spike is world-weary.