1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Travlers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by opticon, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Oh yea. . .the middle story of the Medic seemed like a complete waste of 6 episodes of development for very little pay off
    Her friend's motivations and actions were soooo unrealistic too. . . .well stretched to unrealism.

Rocket River

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

My wife and I binged this through 4 days. We enjoyed watching it. My thoughts on it:

It was entertaining, but I thought it was a bit clumsy at a lot of points now that I'm looking back. MacLaren and Marcy had the best B-side plots that gave viewers a philosophical debate. They both dealt with identity issues and conflicts into who they truly were. Is MacLaren traveler 3468 or is he MacLaren? Even though Marcy is Marcy, how does her current situation mold her into who she is/was? Philip had the classic plot of the internal struggle to decide what to do with knowledge of future events and whether to act on them or not interfere to preserve history. Carly's story was more C-side to cause drama in MacLaren's B-side story. At least Trevor had amusing teenage drama that eventually introduces Grace Day. Carly and Trevor seemed more like characters to move the plot, which I hope the writers give them more depth in season 2.

The ending was a cluster****, though. The idea of conflicting factions was rushed and vaguely explained. We're never told who they are, what they want, or how they differ. And at the end, who is right? Was Ellis working for the real director or the influenced director? Which director gave the destroy order to Trevor and which gave the kill order to Carly? Then it ends on a cheap cliffhanger.

Also, can someone explain how the programmer was able to overwrite Grace Day even though the TELL passed?

It was a good ride and enjoyable series. The writers laid out a good foundation and I hope they improve upon it.

3. opticon

opticon Member

When Grace tried to drive a way in the car she called 911 from a cell phone. The programmer was able to pull gps from the phone call and get the TELL from that. I don't know how the hell there are going to get them selves out of the were they left it. I agree with everything said, they need to do a better job of developing the antagonist. Also they need to figure out what the are going to do about the changing future plot hole. Using the current logic they have no way of knowing if what they are doing is succesfull. At some point you have to give the audience some kind of hope that things are changing for the better.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This was one of the best time traveling shows I've watched. I appreciate how only the conscious travels back instead of the whole physical body. The sending matter back in time just allows for stupid writing to ensue. Im not fond of how they only can come back into modern time. Its a nice explanation, but too convenient.
    I didnt quite understand why they can not redo the mistakes. My understanding was they could not redo it. They only had one chance to get it right.

The worst part of the show is how stupid the travelers can be, especially Carley. All of them are breaking protocol because of emotions.

So far the butterfly effect is being done decently. Although with the hundreds, if not thousands of travelers, I would expect a much bigger effect.

5. Duncan McDonuts

I thought they had to overwrite at the exact time and place of their death. Unless I missed something, Grace being overwritten after her time of death means that anybody that doesn't die when they're supposed to is open season to be overwritten once they're located.

6. opticon

opticon Member

I think that is the logic they are using. Long term I think they director will do any thing that will improve the timeline and not harm it. Even if that means the ordering someones death.

7. Space Ghost

I believe its a moral issue. If its about disrupting the timeline, then that is a pretty big plot hole. Essentially these people are suppose to die. By taking over the body and keeping it alive, that throws the timeline off.

Anyone's conscious can be taken over if their GPS is ever recorded, but it would happen at that very moment. The exact time of death is not relevant as far as the science goes, just knowing the location. Several people have been over written moments before their death to ensure they prevent it.

What I didn't quite understand were misfires. If one misfires, is the future conscious gone/dead?

My suspicions are these 'consciousnesses' are nothing more than AI/Programs like The Director.... a la matrix style.

8. Duncan McDonuts

The ability to overwrite any consciousness, dying or not, would make sense when the engineer kept taking over Gleason's men. But that doesn't make much logical sense to limit the TELL pool to only dying. If the director is concerned about affecting the timeline much, I'd think keeping a dying person alive by overwriting them would alter the timeline more than overwriting a regular person. Therefore, you might as well overwrite someone in a position of power to change history in more powerful ways.

Unless I'm mistaken, there either seems to be contradictory rules or illogical overwrites.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't they get a
    Senator

Rocket River

10. likestohypeguy

This is now the worst show I've ever kept watching.

The first 2 1/2 seasons are so hilarious, like every episode was as if Lifetime made their own cheesier version of Law & Order, except with super long drawn out roundhouse pew-pew fight scenes & long pointless gun to head standoffs; and of course set to not even the framework of a time travel show, more like time travel barely as a backdrop. Otherwise I've never seen anything so close to Law and Order, the camera work, actors, acting, dialogue, the woman cop with jacket and shirt unbuttoned one too many, the M.E. always too casually eating over dead bodies, the way witnesses and suspects are interviewed, exactly the same. JUst needs the dun-dun sound effect.

But if you can make it through that 2 1/2 seasons or so (that should have been condensed to just a few episodes), it really cranks up! Glad I stuck through the hilarity for the payoff.

Fun to watch after travelers too, all the actors they recycled from it in such different roles.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

But did you like it? I can't tell.

12. likestohypeguy

Yes! Just had to convey how bad it is at the same time with my seconding his recommendation, in case you can't laugh at borderline terrible homage as hilarious satire even if it's not intentional, or appreciate the type of jokes on family Guy for instance that go on repeating so long it's like they're intentionally trying to make viewers angry.

You're not going to Make it, anyone in it just for sci-fi.

13. Duncan McDonuts

We've been trying Continuum from the recommendations, and we're about 5 episodes in. I agree that it feels like a Lifetime drama with the amount of cheese so far. It's very Canadian. Does it really take 2.5 seasons to get good?

14. likestohypeguy

I don't remember exactly, but it does stick to the murder/mystery crime investigation wrap up formst each episode for at least two seasons. If you were able to make it 5 episodes, stick with it. It gets funnier before it gets better.

At least watch until the actor who played the lawyer from travelers, and when you get to the episode where you find out why they made the future supercomputer ball shaped...

15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Thanks for the recommendation for Travelers, Clutchfans!!! In the middle of episode 8 as we speak
    where they're dealing with the sex phone bomber trying to ruin the FBI agents cover as a traveler

Not the best show, but still entertaining and I love following it. Love the idea behind the show, something that they can really grow on for future seasons. I only see this show getting better

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember some of you people liked Season 1.

I got a Netflix alert that Season 2 drops on Netflix the day after Christmas. (This trailer is from the Canadian network where it already aired. Netflix has a different one.)

mikus and A_3PO like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I remember enjoying season 1, but I can't remember a single detail about it

Mack and DreamShook like this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Excellent! Looking forward to it. Season one was quite good.

19. Space Ghost

Season 2 had a nice buildup but the last episode ended poorly.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think i remember being unsatisfied with Season 1
    not horrible but just like meh

Rocket River