1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[netflix] Tony Robbins will change your life

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 18, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You said "A lot of writers pay Stephen King millions of dollars to be in his presence". I felt that was a blatantly false statement, therefore I wanted to see a link proving it.

Also, I can guarantee if "A lot of writers would pay Stephen King millions of dollars to be in his presence" that Stephen King would be hosting these "lots of writers" on a regular basis.

#21 bobrek, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Is this a joke? Steve Jobs' secret was that he was an obsessive perfectionist with a superhuman work ethic, and a ruthless taskmaster with a fanatical dedication to executing his vision. Those aren't qualities you learn at a seminar or in a classroom. Some I think you're born with, and some you pick up from your environment.

Ultimately, achieving greatness isn't a secret, it's just really, really, really hard to do and only a handful of people are cut out for it.

And if you are one of those people, you still need the education (though not necessarily a formal one) to have the skills necessary to apply those aforementioned qualities.

3. what

what Member

Here is just a few people that he has taught.
    http://www.ranker.com/list/tony-robbins_-celebrity-clients/pocketful-of-sunshine

I'm just saying that if Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandela and Mother Theresa have been taught by him, maybe you ought to re-evaluate your option of him.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Tony Robbins is the realest. There are only two types of people in this world: winners and those who reject Tony Robbins.

5. bobrek

Sure would like to see the $4995 check that St. Teresa of Calcutta wrote. That would be a collector's item.

1 person likes this.
  6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Kind of like what Hakeem does. I think that anyone who accepts payment for teaching relies upon taking advantage of those incapable of implementing their advice. I do believe Dwight is naive if no benefits manifest in his game.

Tony Robbins has about as much emotional cache as that chick who wrote that "Fight Song" song.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you think the Rhodes scholar and multi-decade government executive, anti-colonial revolutionary and canonized leprosy caretaker needed huckster pep rallies to guide their path and had these meetings for anything other than publicity, don't be surprised if people don't re-evaluate their opinion of you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The foundation could have plausibly written it for her, Robbins could have just as easily done it for marketing or as a charitable deduction.

10. what

what Member

Of course she didn't pay for his teaching, but at the same time the fact that she invited him to meet her and spend time with him gives him legitimacy. How is that hard to understand?

By the way the girl in the doc who was suicidal due to being raped repeatedly from the age of 6, here's what he did. He offered her free therapy and training for her to learn his principles to be able for her to apply them to help others. In addition, he asked her to pick 3 guys from the audience who she felt didn't have agendas but love and after she did, he asked them to be her support system for the next 10 years.

In addition to that, she got about 100,000 from other people in the retreat to help her start her business to help others.

He didn't just give her a few words and let her go.

11. bobrek

The link you posted listed those people as his "clients". I seriously doubt a number of people on that list were his "clients".

12. what

what Member

This is verifiable. Here's one example. Of course, I'm sure you will sneer at the idea that it was Clinton. But at the time, he was the president of the united states. He wasn't just hosting a diner and looking for press or something.

In an interview with Business Insider, Robbins says on Christmas day in 1993, Bill Clinton personally called him from Camp David as he relaxed at Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber's home in Aspen, Colorado. Robbins explains:

[W]hen he first called me, it was Christmas, and I was in Peter Guber's house in Aspen, and he says, "The President is on the line," and I said, "President who?" He goes, "The President of the United States!"

I answer the phone, and President Clinton came on. He was having a very tough time, and it was his first year in office. He had run on "it's the economy, stupid," and he had kind of lost his way with the public. And he said, "People told me I should talk to you. Would you come to Camp David and have a meeting with me?"

And I said "When?" and he said, "Tonight!" And I go, "Tonight! Mr. President, I'd be happy to do it, I'd be privileged to serve you, but I want to you to know I'm not a fan." I'll never forget, Peter Guber looked across at me, and he was mouthing to me, "You're talking to the President of the United States!" I said, "I'm not being disrespectful with you, but if you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, I'm the wrong guy." He says, "No, I don't want to hear that."

Robbins took the job, of course. While he wouldn't go into details about his private conversations with Clinton, he says he fulfilled his promise to the President about not going easy on him. "The structure was the process of very quickly going deep. No soft talk. Just penetrating, provocative questions to get to what the real challenge is, and what the real opportunities are."

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fPo1YvPGfk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Lol, he used the Harvard bit from Good Will Hunting

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tony Robbins is a motivational speaker. If he motivates you then he is doing his job. I don't buy his stuff, but I'm not going to discount it because it does work for a many people.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

what recommending a show to watch = will never watch, stay away, just delete Netlix in case of accidents.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The problem is he claims to be much more than that. An example would be for Advil to advertise they can "cure" arthritis. FDA would be all over that and shut it down because it can't. For sure some folks only need some motivation but for others, it upsets me because many of those folks need clinical diagnoses and help. He's incapable of distinguishing or advising those folks. They pay tons of money as well which should be used for real medical care instead. Sorta like alcohol for shy people. You pay for alcohol, it will ease your anxiety and shyness, but it wears off, you have to buy more to get that feeling again, and continue. So for some folks that's not an issue but for many others. They need real professional help for their anxiety disorders and mental health.

Oh and he also claims to be a personal finance instructor/mentor. Again he has no educational background in finance.

Carlin, one of my faves of all time "if you need self-help why would you read a book written by someone else?"

NSFW
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KTETZy18pwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. bobrek

I never said that I doubt all of those people were clients. Do you have verifiable proof that St. Teresa of Calcutta called him up and ponied up some cash to get some motivational speech?

19. the shark

the shark Member

Here's how I see Tony Robbins (I've never gone to one of his seminars or read any of his books etc).

There are millions of people around the world that are in a lot of pain. They're searching for answers (or a path to peace), and don't know where to turn to. There's all different types of teachers in the world (and at the end of the day that's what he is). What one person might respond to another one might not.

Whether you agree with his tactics or not, there are THOUSANDS of testimonies out there from people who TR helped turn their specific situation around (or just helped them make a specific area in their life stronger).

If you want to b**** about what he charges that's your prerogative, however people are obviously willing to pay it. Paying $5,000 to go to a "Date with Destiny" might seem crazy to someone, but if the experience helps turn your life around (or just improve an area of your life) then it seems like a small price to pay.

Weirdo, crazy, hack, fraud, whatever you might think he is, go tell that to the individual(s) who feel so grateful and blessed that TR made a big difference in their life.

I mean at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about!

20. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm......

No- you are wrong Sir -