1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

i would give it the same vibe as something like ET or maybe Poltergeist. Strange things afoot in a small town. If you like those then give it a shot.

2. what

what Member

If this was M Night Shyamalan directed every one of y'all would be panning this show.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This was good, but someone was telling me it's the best show he's ever seen. Lol okay. Lot of plot holes and lame cliches.

How can Steve hurt the monster with his nail bat but guns don't do ****?

#123 WhoMikeJames, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I disagree. I actually like most of Shyamalan's movies, but they're pretty much the exact opposite of a fun, self-aware, cinematic tribute like this show is.

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Because it is supposed to be 80s movie logic. The cliches are on purpose to align with that also. That is part of what makes it so great. I agree that it is not the best show ever though....ha

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Disagree. M. Night was associated with Wayward Pines ( he directed a couple of episodes in the 1st season) and people loved it. The show was already canceled and Fox made it a single summer series. It was popular enough to get another season.

7. what

what Member

Even as a tribute though, take a look at Jo Beth Williams acting in Poltergeist, compared to Ryders in Stranger Things. It's not even comparable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/unSmnuz31Q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Wednesday

Wednesday New Member

Stranger Things, is impressive.

Definitely, give it a chance, if you're hesitant. I suppose you could argue that at its core, the show isn't that original....but damn its good.

I felt like everything that was going on, in the show, tied into the primary story line, so I never felt disengaged at any point. It's a nice homage to the things before it.
    It kinda felt like I was reading a novel. Just good storytelling.

With the exception of Winona Ryder, I really didn't recognize many of the actors, but I thought they were all convincing. I particularly thought the kids were great.

Though its open ended, it probably wouldn't need a second season.....but I'm hoping there is one.

#129 Wednesday, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

We get it, you didn't like it. It's okay. You don't have to justify it with your comparisons.

[​IMG]

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That looks stupid.

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

This is pretty spot on to how it was growing up for most kids in the 80's.We used to hit the outdoors in the early morning and not come home till the sun went down.We didn't have cell phones to check in but no one worried ,it was strange if we were home.I feel sorry for kids these days.its rare to see kids outside, just goofing off.

1 person likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

"Be home by dark." "OK mom"

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Absolutely loved it!!! From the 80's small town cinematography, the music, Winona Ryder and David Habour did a phenomenal job. Loved how it was only 8 episodes, sure I wanted more but it had just the right amount of story to it where it doesn't seem outplayed or lagging like most shows do nowadays. People should really give this show a try, the first series I have thoroughly enjoyed in quite some time. Part of me wants a season 2, part of me thinks it should just stay how it is now.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From Gizmodo:

[rquoter]
    Stranger Things, Side-By-Side With Every Excellent Film It Borrows From

We knew from the outset that Netflix’s supernatural thriller Stranger Things was going to pay a healthy debt to the 80's. Throw a few sci-fi and body horror greats into a blender, add a dose of sobbing Winona Ryder and a dash of kale to make it taste like 2016, and you’ve arrived. It’s a smoothie, but holy hell is it a delicious, artfully created, thoughtful, and addictive smoothie.

Of course, some of the parallels are obvious. Mike and El’s plotline is essentially The Goonies and E.T. with a side of Akira. Winona Ryder lives out many of the story beats in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Aliens plus The Thing gets you Hawkins Laboratory. Hell, Chief Hopper is basically Han Solo meets Jack Torrance. But in an effort to disclose the less apparent influences Ulysse Thevenon matched the series scene-for-scene with the cinematic moments it’s inspired by, and it’s glorious. (Also, despite it being pretty obscure and not very good, I’m so glad Thevenon picked up on the Explorers vibe.)

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/175929311" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I just came in to post that video. Very cool.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Good show, best part was the feel and soundtrak. I really enjoyed and wanted more from the Doctor!!! 11 was great and also Hopper and John. Very cliche but decent. You can totally predict what was happening however.

***Spoilers***

How come there was only one monster? How was the entire lab unable to get to the kids but yet the first try Hopper takes they get in fine?

17. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

That video was spot on crazy references

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was thinking the same thing. The Upside Down has to be a big place, right? Is The Upside Down only limited to Hawkins? Is there an upside down Africa? There can't only be one Demogorgon inhabiting an upside down world.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just started this last night and I'm into it so far.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Spoiler tags fools!