1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Series] Squid Game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 30, 2021.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm no sub snob. Watch the stuff you want to watch however you want to watch it. (people miss out on some good media because they dont want to read, lol). I dont mind watching a sub, but I actively search out dubs now for anime so I can put that joint on 2x speed and I can put it on in the background.

people really dont like a bad dub, but it's never so bad it takes me out of what I'm watching. At this point, I just want to get the gist of it and keep it moving.

I love a subbed show or anime, but when I see one now im like:

[​IMG]

there's a bunch of K-dramas on Netflix I want to watch, but I have no time to watch 10, 2-hour episodes of subs.

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I understand what you're saying but dubbed is worse. I want to hear the actor's voice 100% of the time.

Yung-T, Deckard, whag00 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oh, I don't mind a dub if it's actually good. I just don't usually come across dubs that are on a similar level as the source material. Back when I was a kid, I used to watch Pokemon on Saturday mornings and looking back at it now, it was a pretty good dub.

There's just nothing worse when you're watching an obviously emotional death scene or romantic scene or whatever, and the delivery of the dialogue is flat and monotonous.

Yung-T and buffalobills!!! like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

On the topic, though, everyone should watch Squid Game. Subbed, dubbed, sign language, Klingon, whatever.

It's so bingeable. AND it's only 9 episodes. And one of the episodes is like 30 minutes long only. Usually, K-Dramas go a full hour to an hour 30.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

MEGA

make english great

Xerobull likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Great show. Watched the episode with game 5 before going to bed and it gave me nightmares. If i was one of the first in line for game 5 I would have just told the guard I refuse, shoot me in the head.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Xerobull likes this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I watched part of an episode last night. It's like they found the whitest sounding actors they could to do the voice overs. Strange, as is the show.

The show seems alright though, but I can't imagine binging it at this point.

peleincubus likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Sometimes the dubs are decent but I still prefer the original. The thing is I often have tv on while I am studying these days. Obviously that does not work well if I don't know the language. So I generally have to be only doing that if I am watching.

FrontRunner and DreamShook like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I definitely prefer the original language with subtitles, but I feel like I have to be able to sit down and "glue" myself to the TV, or I'm afraid I'll miss something, or think I missed something important. However, even if I miss the subs, I can often get the gist of the dialogue anyway. Sometimes from the tenor of the voices, I guess. I doubt if I'm the only person here that can often get a lot from how things are being said, and if watching but not catching the subs, get quite a bit from facial expressions, body language and the like.

I'm one of those Americans who is fluent in one language, which really bugs me when I'm in Europe for any length of time. It's shameful that we don't learn at least one other language in school. Heck, over there they typically know at least 3, sometimes more. I spent about three months in the Netherlands many years ago, had a Dutch girlfriend (who could speak 4 languages), and got to where I could understand quite a bit of Dutch. Could understand it a lot better than attempting to speak more than a few simple phrases.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Jontro likes this.
  12. VanityHalfBlack

Is BTS or blackpink in this? I’m not too familiar with any of the actors, sorry.

Jontro likes this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've seen some good dubs (guess voice-over was the wrong term) that didn't completely take me out of the story and significantly diminish the original actor's work, but they're rare.

What I've seen so far definitely took me out of the story a bit, but not enough to make me quit. Yet.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rose or Jennie shared some bts (behind the scenes not BTS the boyband) pictures on set with the one chick from the show who used to be some kind of model. I bet that is one of the reasons this blew up. kpop fans are crazy.

VanityHalfBlack and Jontro like this.
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Finished the first episode. I can only guess this is another show that's going to make me question my life and fill me with regret.

I have enough of that already. Consider me eliminated from watching.

The dubbing didn't seem to bother me as much tonight, FWIW.

TimDuncanDonaut and dachuda86 like this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The acting on the Americans' part wasn't great. The VIP dialogue was supposed to be what the audience would say, since they are the audience... but the dialogue was cheesy... they would ask the questions rather than letting US ask them.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think the opposite... I think it is already widely mainstream like Lupin is... cult classics are known for being unpopular with mainstream audiences but it's already the most successful Netflix original series. I agree that it will be a classic.

I predict Halloween costumes with the masks and a ton more memes this month.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

https://korebu.com/en/what-does-blackpink-jennie-have-to-do-with-squid-game/

Yeah, 'cult classic' was the wrong label. But, I sure am glad foreign media is prevalent in American media now. Movies like Parasite are one thing, but it's far more difficult for TV shows to gain a foothold, streaming service or otherwise.

DreamShook and dachuda86 like this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Totally agree friend. It's nice to see some variety. I think I get you... it's gonna be a classic and I'm hearing a second season is coming so we can look forward to more.

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Dubbing was fine. Y’all get over it