1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Series] Squid Game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marathoned it today while I was working. Good show. Also, TIL organ harvesting is big in Asia.

It’s dubbed.

Squid Game Is On Track to Become Netflix's Biggest Show
    The hit South Korean import could possibly overtake Bridgerton as Netflix's most popular series.

Squid Game is on track to become Netflix's biggest TV show ever — if the early viewership figures hold.

According to Deadline, Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos estimated that Squid Game could top the streaming service's charts, judging by the numbers, though he didn't specify which particular metric he was monitoring to gauge its popularity. He simply told CNET and others that there's "a very good chance it's going to be our biggest show ever."

"There's a show on Netflix right now that is the No. 1 in the world, like everywhere in the world. It's called Squid Game. Squid Game will definitely be our biggest non-English language show in the world, for sure," Sarandos affirmed to those in attendance at Vox Media's Code Conference in Beverly Hills, California earlier this week.

Sarandos shared viewership data highlighting two different metrics that Netflix is using to track the popularity of its series and films. One metric tracks the number of users that watched at least two minutes of a show or film within the first 28 days of release while the other metric measures the total hours spent watching a show or film within the first 28 days.

The data shared at the event spotlighted the Regency-era debutante drama Bridgerton as Netflix's most-watched series ever, with 82 million subscribers tuning in to watch at least two minutes of the show in its first 28 days on the service, and a whopping 625 million total hours viewed within its first four weeks of release on the service.

As a relatively new title, Squid Game had only been available on the service for approximately 11 days when Sarandos remarked on its popularity. The show officially hit the streamer on September 17, which means there's still a number of calendar days for views to rack up before the dystopian thriller potentially finds a place on these charts.

Squid Game's popularity seems to be stretching across different mediums, as in recent days fan-made games based on the deadly challenges found in the show have started to crop up all over Roblox. In fact, several Squid Game remakes have made their way onto the platform's most popular lists, with many more showing up after a quick search of the buzzworthy title.

Netflix Spotlight: September 2021
    Squid Game is a nine-episode South Korean survival drama where hundreds of cash-strapped players accept a strange invitation and gather on a remote island to compete in a series of deadly children's games for the chance to win a big cash prize and escape poverty — with deadly high stakes. The full first season is available to watch now on Netflix.

#1 Xerobull, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hearing alot about this

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut and tinman like this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm a lazy mono-languaged American who hates subtitles. Could someone dub in English with the voices from Family Guy? Me, Jethro, Cletus, Darryl, Darryl, Darryl, Roy and Ricky would really appreciate it!

Jontro likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Its dubbed

DreamShook likes this.
  5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Still want Peter Griffin.

arkoe, Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought it was 9/10. While not as epic in nature as Alice in Borderland ( which is also must see tv ) or Willy Wonka, it has a much more interesting ending than both. One I think most people can relate to and think on. Easy watch. Worthy ending. The theme is not what you think it will be.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

I was discussing this show with my buddy and he was incised by the way the Americans were portrayed. I had no problem with it. I've seen some other foreign shows/films and Asian filmmakers seem to consistently portray Americans as brash, loud, arrogant, materialistic and stupid. Which, if you look at the way we portray ourselves in a lot of our blockbuster media, is pretty close, especially if you lack cultural context. If you add in that the large majority of Americans that the Koreans and Japanese come into contact with are military, rowdy and on leave outside of their bases, it only exacerbates the impression. Lastly, I have a friend from Japan and she hates the way American media portrays Asians in general, so I think it's a two-way street when it comes to cultural interpretations.

#7 Xerobull, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

It's not just limited to Asian films. Based on my experience working for a European company and traveling to Europe frequently, Europeans also see us in a similar light, and to be fair, they're not wrong. =P

But in regard to the Americans in Squid Game, I felt they represented the elite and privileged, which based on the past several decades, is heavily skewed towards the US/West and our governance.

#8 Cokebabies, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

really enjoyed it

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Agree, although

the actors are pretty bad and the direction has them playing it over the top. I've hobknobbed with enough very wealthy people to know that when they party, they don't give a F. Although the one 10-figure person I know is a quiet nerd who goes to bed before 10.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I remember when you could hit the play button a movie/TV show and expect it to be in English.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Not all TV is made in England any more, OK?

Yung-T, Sajan and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

As a watcher of anime who enjoys media that requires sub reading, I'm so happy this joint was dubbed. At this point in TV there is too much media to get through; you just dont have time to sit and watch the subs because you're doing other things and you have to watch stuff in the background.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn, y'all watch some weird stuff. :D

The one thing I hate about watching movies with subtitles is that I'm too busy reading to watch facial expressions or parts of the action. I feel like I'm missing half the stuff I should be seeing. It's like I'm not watching a movie -- I'm reading a book.

buffalobills!!! and Xerobull like this.
  15. Xerobull

It's dubbed.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some good TV out there

DD

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, ok. I didn't know. Now "I just don't like stuff like this" would be my only complaint. :D

Deckard and Xerobull like this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno if some of you are memeing or being serious, and clearly I'm in the minority here, but: y'all are crazy for watching something dubbed and not in its native tongue.

I feel as though you'd miss the nuances and feelings and emotion. Especially with something like anime, as @DreamShook mentioned. Stuff that's dubbed just takes away from the viewing experience imo.

The one episode with the English-speaking gazillionaires was super off-putting, though. One dude spoke with a British accent and one sounded like he was Asian. You-know-who said he/she organized this because he/she had bored rich friends, but I doubt you-know-who only had rich friends that purely defaulted to speaking English. That part didn't really track with me.

Anyway, hope there's a season 2. There's TONS of loose threads that another season could expand on.

19. Xerobull

I agree. However, I can't 'watch' a show on the side while I work if I have to read it. I am considering watching the subbed version.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Squid Game is going to be one of those Netflix foreign cult classics in the vein of Money Heist and Lupin.

That's a good point.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.