1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Making a Murderer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you are correct about the bullet, but Lenk was involved again with that. He was seen on the site when the bullet was found, and that was months after the initial search.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So the premise here is Avery killed the girl in the garage, invited over Brendan to do an exhaustive cleanse of crime scene in the garage, then parked the car in the back, burned the body and buried the bones, then tossed the keys on the floor.

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. No reasonable doubt there.

Oh and don't forget that he used her RAV4 to transport her body from his garage to the primary burn spot, which was about 100 feet from the garage.

4. body slam

body slam Member

I find it hard to believe is how easy the Manitawoc Sheriff deputies are able to find evidence. When the other county has been there looking for days.

5. body slam

body slam Member

I also like when Avery was asked about Brendan talking to the police. Avery said something like Brendan is not very smart. Then the media turned it in to Avery sending a threatening message to Brendan if he was smart he would keep his mouth shut.

6. The Law

The Law Member

Just finished the series. Very disturbing. I hate when I feel like people who are in my profession are capable of such evil. Brendan Dassey most definitely deserves at least a new trial. His first attorney completely f'ed him. The fact that the state of Wisconsin turned a blind eye to it is unfathomable. JJ Watt should be embarrassed.

And don't get me to started on the District Attorney. That weasely voiced b*stard was shady from the start. But that shows my bias, I don't trust attorneys, even the ones that are supposed to be on the "same side" of the law as me.

7. Apps

Apps Member

Yeah, I came out feeling like Brendan was the biggest victim of all. I mean, there's still a possibility that Avery did the deed, but Brendan seems like a know-nothing dupe that got repeatedly manipulated into saying and doing things he didn't totally understand. Hard to believe that any "testimony" coming out of his mouth could really be viewed as admissible evidence.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've seen the whole thing. It's good. If you're not finished, keep going.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That could almost as plausibly include helping his uncle kill or dispose of a woman. At some point, repeated self contradiction works against you, particularly in front of a jury. What parts did you make up? "The parts that weren't true."

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm thinking they took most if not all their episode ideas from an 'Investigation Discovery' series. I don't recall which one but it had a 'serial killers' them. One episode was based off a guy who took after his estranged serial killer father in prison and developed a bond. It documents their behavioral patterns ignited by awful childhoods. Crazy stuff.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Interesting that the first count was 7 innocent, 3 guilty and 2 undecided.

There was a fairly obvious conflict of interest with two of the jury members. Amazing this wasn't accounted for during the screening process.

I can't say for sure Steven Avery didn't murder Teresa Halbach, but I know for sure he should not have been convicted. There is no chance the murder took place in his garage or home. There is no blood. 100% impossible for it to have happened the way the prosecutor said it did. Ken Kratz says definitively that Teresa was murdered in the garage. How was his DNA found all over the place and not a trace of hers except for the bullet (which the overly hairsprayed DNA analyst sneezed in or whatever, and should have been considered inconclusive).

Yes, deep down, I believe he was framed. Colburn calling in the plates 2 days before the vehicle was found, the pelvic bones found at the quarry, the fact it took Lenk's presence to find a key left in clear sight on the EIGHTH day of an exhaustive search, the entire motive of the sheriff's department, it just all stinks.

However, aside from all of that...how the ever loving **** was Brendan Dassey convicted????? That kid was screwed over from the get go. The painful coerced confession without a parent or lawyer present, the appalling subsequent press conference where Kratz gleefully recounted each and every detail, the assignment of Kachinsky to his case...this kid was ****ing used and exploited. Michael O'Kelly should be ashamed of his handling of the written "apology" and forcing him to draw pictures of stuff that Brendan kept telling him DID NOT HAPPEN. Draw yourself having sex with Teresa? Really? And then the overwrought tears during his sentencing. Scumbags.

One more point - the mutilation charge vs Steven was thrown out. How was Brendan convicted on that count? How was Brendan convicted on the knowledge that the murder happened in the bedroom (sans DNA evidence) but Steven Avery had already been convicted with the knowledge that she was murdered in the garage (sans DNA evidence)? Surely you can't have it both ways?

Everything about this makes me sick. I don't in any way buy that Steven Avery is some good hearted angel, but there is NOT adequate evidence to convict in this case. I think once more details of the trial come out it will confirm that. If the filmmakers did leave out compelling DNA evidence linking Avery to the crime scene, I would be willing to take that into consideration. But the is no ****ing chance this mentally handicapped kid committed these crimes. He told the cops what they wanted to hear, period. I hope people being able to see the confession tape somehow allows him to be retried. His inclusion was brilliant for the prosecution (the Avery name was forever trashed after the infamous press conference) but one of the most evil, despicable things one can possibly do - target a defenseless kid and completely ruin his life with lies and coercion.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Scott Walker needs to instruct the Wisconsin AG to open an investigation into the Brendan Dassey case at the very least

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Dean Strang interview from today

http://www.wkow.com/story/30834876/...ses-stevern-avery-case-on-capitol-city-sunday

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://WKOW.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=318501;hostDomain=www.wkow.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=385;isShowIcon=true;clipId=12099859;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed;galleryType=wnstory;galleryId=30834876'></script>

14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i stopped watching cuz i got so pissed off

15. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Good interview.

16. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I'm not sure how anyone could watch the interrogation and NOT see how they forced him to "confess"... When interrogated (without lawyer present) he repeatedly said he didn't do it and they badgered him, telling him he was lying until they got him to say what they wanted to hear.

Then, why not play the tapes of his phone conversations with his mother in trial? You can clearly tell he was telling the truth when he says he "guessed" the parts he didn't know, "that's what i do on my homework"

17. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

And how could Steven possibly clean the crime scene to eliminate all blood splatter and DNA evidence?

If you truly believe he was capable of pulling that off, then there should be no way you truly expect him to then park the car on his own lot "hidden" by a couple tree branches when he literally owns a compacter that could have disposed of the vehicle. Smh

18. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

19. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ManitowocCounty?src=hash">#ManitowocCounty</a> You Have 48 Hours To Release The Phone Records Between James Lenk and Andrew Colborn Step To The Podium <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MakingAMurderer?src=hash">#MakingAMurderer</a></p>&mdash; OPAVERYDASSEY (@OPAVERYDASSEY) <a href="https://twitter.com/OPAVERYDASSEY/status/681306407266840576">December 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I am curious, maybe I missed it but did Steven have any scratches or cuts on him since they said his blood was in the RAV4? It was a pretty good size blood splatter. Also, if he apparently cleaned everything so well, why would be ignore that?

The brother erasing the messages in her voicemail is weird and still bothers me. I know his family suffered but something seemed off about him.