1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I find it hard to believe Macchio had to lobby to get Kumiko and Chozen in on the show on the basis of seeking more diversity. Everything about this show is a call back to the movies, and these are two primary characters from the sequel. It was just a matter of time before they were brought back.

plutoblue11 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Reese has mellowed out in his old age. .;) well maybe slightly...I think one of the interesting arcs was showing how Kreese started out as a noble guy, then the initial bullying he experienced, the ugly aspects of War with a rotten field captain, the untimely death of his sweetheart corroded what he could have been. Also the Japan trip in season 3 was one of my faves as well. The meeting with chozen actually propelled the peace with Johnny

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys talking about race and adjusting with the times and what this means for karate and meaning and feelings...what a bunch of pu$$ies.

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Man spoilers people. Jesus. Lol.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That I'm not clear about and the info I got from that was an LA Times article about the show.
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-01-08/netflix-cobra-kai-season-3-diversity
    "The return, which Macchio himself had pushed for and on which Tomita and Okumoto consulted, results in some of the series’ most resonant payoffs. "

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think there is certainly something there about Kreese changing with the times somewhat and his character arc has been very interesting.

GRENDEL likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Was anyone else blown away by the big post credit scene where it Jackie Chan suddenly appears at Cobra Kai and he was the one who trained Kreese!
    ;):p

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

sonofabitch! :D.

9. VanityHalfBlack

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's hard to say and I actually haven't been blown away by the fighting. I like the story and the characters for more than the actual martial arts.
    Here are the five that I will say I've liked.
    1. Miguel's fight against the bullies in the cafeteria. As a movie fight the pacing was well done and had a nice flow.
    2. Daniel versus Chozen. That actually felt the more like actually Karate than moving fighting with the movements of each slower and more deliberate especially compared to the when you see the kids fight.
    3. Johnny's fight against the bullies in the first episode. I like how Johnny winces as the does the techniques and struggles through it at times. It showed how rusty he was but also reminded me of Jackie Chan's fights.
    4. The big school fight. It's over the top but had some nice moments. I liked how Stingray came in and took out one of the students with his hip which was a nice funny touch to break the overall tension.
    5. Johnny and Danny versus Kreese. Not sure if this counts as two fights but showed how both of them are better fighters than Kreese and Kreese can't win a straight up fight but is willing to go further than either of them to win.

Honorable mention. I wasn't too impressed with the big brawl at the LaRusso house except for one part. Kyler tries a Judo technique called Tomoenage against Miguel where he's on his back and tries to throw Miguel with his foot. It's a popular throw in stage fighting and was used a lot in the original Star Trek. Miguel escapes it with a sort of handstand. That is an escape that's actually used for that throw and one I've done and taught. I thought it was a very nice touch to show that both from the technical point of view but also showing how Miguel has come back from his injury.

ROXRAN and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you ever see that show Warrior on HBO?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Saw the first season but not the second one.
    Here are my thoughts on it:
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/tv-show-warrior.307944/#post-13180661

IMO Cobra Kai blows it away as a show. The characters, acting and story is so much better. I would give Warrior the edge on look as the sets, and costumes are very compelling and it’s a visual looking show. I also really like how it addresses part of US history that isn’t very well known.

As far as the martial arts I’m not really blown away by either show. Warrior has some more flamboyant HK style fights they’re good but I don’t think are on par with fights in actual HK movies. Also the main character I just find very unconvincing as a fearsome fighter.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude
    Warrior season two was nutso

I know it’s kind of like peaky blinders meets street fighter
    The comedy and eye candy is better on warrior

it’s two different shows , warrior is more adult @Jontro

14. VanityHalfBlack

I'll debate anyone right now that there isn't a better show out that can take the crown from Cobra Kai now that this maniac is back on the show!!

[​IMG]

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who knew the original trilogy had so much source content.

Its also a blessing (for the series) that none of the ancillary stars of the original trilogy is really doing much of anything right now... from Kreese/Johnny in 1, the Japanese-American actors in 2, and now possibly Silver (or Barnes?) from 3. Even Elizabeth Shue (who had the best career of all KK members) is now at a part of her career where these roles/cameos are perfect.

The series wouldn't have stood on its own with simply the reboot/young people. It also would have gotten stale with just the older characters. I'd rather other future "reboots" try to emulate this model,

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Who is it??

17. VanityHalfBlack

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

Hell yeah! Terry Silver was the ONE redeeming factor in what was overall a lazy third installment.

"It's blood, so what? Pretend it's his!!"

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'll watch KKIII tonight. I love the playoffs, but I need a break already.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.