1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nerlens Noel

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by da_juice, Feb 16, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

http://wwww.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/

It's been a year since the last (and first) time we evaluated Nerlens Noel (#2 ESPN, #3 Scout, #3 Rivals) at this same event in New Haven, but our overall impression hasn't changed much.

Now standing close to seven feet tall, with a frame that continues to mature, a long wingspan, and tremendous athleticism, Noel looks every bit the part of a top notch big man prospect.

One of the best finishers in high school basketball thanks to his incredible combination of length and explosiveness, Noel is a phenomenal target around the basket. His ball-handling skills seem to be coming around as well, as he showed the ability to create his own shot from the perimeter or in transition with a quick first step and unbelievably long strides which big men at this level simply cannot stay in front of.

Not a threat at all to make shots from the perimeter (or sometimes even the free throw line), and pretty raw inside the post in terms of his footwork and touch, Noel nevertheless shows the ability to finish with either hand around the basket, and makes his presence felt through his work in transition and the offensive glass. He needs to continue to add strength to his frame, improve his feel for the game, and polish up his skill-level, but considering he's only 17 years old, time is on his side.

Noel's biggest impact is currently felt on the defensive end, where he often dominant at this level. He shows an ideal combination of size, length, athleticism, timing, and intensity—challenging every attempt around the basket and blocking shots with either hand. Unlike most big men, he seemingly has no problem stepping out on the perimeter and hedging screens on the pick and roll, as he moves his feet incredibly well and is extremely disruptive in the passing lanes.

Turning 18 in April, Noel reportedly briefly considered reclassifying to the 2012 class, which would make this his final season of high school basketball, but ultimately elected to stay in the class 2013.

He's already considered one of the top players in his class and will draw immediate attention from scouts as soon as he steps foot on a college campus.

Obviously, a lot can change and we'll have to watch him in college, but a guy his size doesn't appear too often. Unlike a certain Uconn player, this guy seems to already have a feel for the game, we'll just have to see how well he can polish in college.

I worry that he'll have a problem adapting to the NBA's heightened physicality and skill level, but if he can develop a post move or two, he can be a success, especially given the limited number of good big men in the NBA.

Best Case: Somewhere between Deke and Shaq
    Worst Case: Hasheem Thabeet

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So somewhere between one of the best centers ever and one of the worst centers ever ... can you tighten up the range a bit :)

Just kidding, da_juice. Noel is interesting to watch. I'd say he's much more athletic than Thabeet though ... much more likely to succeed at the highest level, just from a defensive standpoint. Recently visited Syracuse and is going to visit Kentucky this weekend. Should be a top pick next year, barring injury.

Highlights:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qggE9Xaw6n8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interview:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jv5eOCLEKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

he does not look like thabeet at all.

4. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There is a way: LOSE.

(merging this with the existing Nerlens Noel thread)

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Look out below.

[youtube]xO-zgYE0Wi8[/youtube]

7. Raven

Raven Member

The lottery ship has sailed.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

With the way were playing I'm not so sure....

9. rockets13champs

WE NEED TO TRADE FOR JOSH sMITH

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's pretty much going to be a Bobcat, or Hornet I should say, since Jordan is buying the Hornets name next season.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! And a beautiful pass by #12. I guess the odds of getting this guy are slim to none? Reminds me a bit of this dunk:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lt_AGxrhOq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. awc713

awc713 Member

this draft class is very weak. he will not drop to us.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I remember when the experts said that the 2009 class was going to be "weak". But yet it's already produce three all-stars in James Harden, Blake Griffin and Jrue Holiday, not to mention possible future all-stars in Stephen Curry and Ricky Rubio, along with other solid starters and role players that still have room to grow in Taj Gibson, Tyreke Evans (former ROY), Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague and Demar Derozan.

So it's not a great idea to call class "weak", prematurely.

1 person likes this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm starting to question the height of some nba players. This guy is listed at 6'10 or 6'11 yet when he dunks casually he gets his elbows above the rim with ease. How come our guys don't have that lift?

15. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

this kid is going to be a bust
    his name is wrong
    should be noel nerlens

16. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

hiz jump is sooooo fast.......wowzer

17. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

The dudes motor is what I like. I guarentee he will not be a bust. I think naturally he is just as good of a shot blocker as Davis was. The offensive part has a long way to go though.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Noel was impressive tonight against Ole Miss... zero impact on the offensive end, but he had 11 blocks, many of them while he was playing with 4 fouls.

19. SK34

SK34 Member

He was credited w/ 12 blocks. Wow!

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

With a few years to develop in the NBA, I think he can be Tyson Chandler 2.0. Remember, Chandler wasn't very good at the beginning of his career.