1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nerd Lore] Critical Role

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Oct 7, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if anyone has seen this or how deep the nerd runs in anybody here, but if you've ever played any kind of RPG, this might be of interest. If you've never played an RPG of any kind, but were curious what it was all about, then you might also enjoy this.

It is a group of voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons and is pretty funny and has found many fans even amongst those that have never played the game. It's good because they are funny folks. Watch the background, but the fun doesn't really begin until afterward.

They apparently are so popular they have comics, merchandise, and other things. This is session 1. They are currently on session 114 I believe.

The one criticism I would make is that sometimes they are only half as clever and witty and as they think they are which is still quite clever and witty. But mostly that kind of comes from them indulging in entertaining each other and playing it up a bit for the camera.

Some of you might enjoy it. I started last night, and I'm episode 2 now. They are very long, but I could binge watch these like a Netflix series or something.

http://geekandsundry.com/critical-role-episode-1/

Wapzoe and jev5555 like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I may well have over-estimated the amount of nerd and nerd-o-phile posters here. Ha! It was a worth a shot.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Do u even LARP brah?

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I enjoy a lot of Geek and Sundry's content. I gave episode 1 a shot a few months ago and it was enjoyable, even as someone who has never played D&D. But after finishing that first episode, I asked myself "do you want to spend 300 hours of your life on this instead of on the vast multitude of other things on the internet?"

The answer was no.

I watch the HELL out of Tabletop though.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Very cool. I'm just going to watch when I have a free moment. It may take me 2 weeks to watch an episode. If I'm sick or can't sleep, I might watch one in one sitting.

I will have to check out Tabletop. I've heard of it, but I've never actually taken a look at it.

#5 FranchiseBlade, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I'm not sure I have room in my entertainment consumption for an additional D&D-based show, even though I do have the Geek and Sundry channel through VRV. I already listen to and very much enjoy the Adventure Zone podcast. I watched season 1 of Harmonquest and found it to be pretty meh in terms of both comedy and story-telling. I might give Critical Role a chance if I'm ever super bored and don't feel like watching any of my current shows.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A friend showed me HarmonQuest that sounds similar. It was funny at first, but I quickly lost interest.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

https://vrv.co/series/GRNQZ129R/HarmonQuest

Kinda in the same boat. Started it recently to try and open up my podcast listens while at work but my interests wanes. Or I just have a very short attention span.

Also started HarmonTown. That holds my interest better. The era where Erin and Dan were married is ultra cringe listening though.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I came here to correct your spelling of Roll/Role but it turns out it was a pun.

Jontro and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rick Role'd?

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  11. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

I came by the channel Geek and Sundry a year or so ago because I got hooked on one of their shows - Spellslingers. After they stopped the show, I gave the channel up altogether. I tried watching Critical Role for a couple of episodes, got mildly interested but never really got hooked into it.

Anyone with a few 'nerdy' hobbies should check that channel out though.. They're one of the best at what they do.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Anybody still around on this thread? I found Critical role around the same time as this thread started, but I'm never in the BBS Hangout.

I've watched Campaign 1 and I'm current with Campaign 2.

Anyone playing D&D now? I'm looking for a game.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I was kicked out of my only D&D moment when I asked the master if I could attack people in the party. He let me do it. Everyone was pissed. And I wasn't really invited back. So I lasted like half an hour. But I could see where it would be fun. Especially in video games. Could be fun show, but 114 episode in and still no traction, I have my doubts.

B-Bob, RocketsMAN! and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I finished Campaign 1 and I'm only a few sessions into 2.

I do play D&D now. I play on a virtual Table Top and use Discord for the chat. It's called Fantasy Grounds. You can look it up. It's really cool and they are in Alpha for a new system and way to use it. That part is called Unity. There is another virtual table top called Roll20. I have more experience with Fantasy Grounds. I wish I had face to face game, but scheduling is next to impossible to get a group together.

If you don't mind the virtual table top part of it, I can let you know the next time we are looking or a player. We just added two new ones, so the party is full. There are a lot of games and ways to get one through FG if you wanted. There is a discord group called Fantasy Grounds college that exists to help people learn to play D&D and other RPGs and also use Fantasy Grounds. It's free.

RocketsMAN! likes this.
  15. Xerobull

I never actually watched this. I don't hate the cute nerd girls.

I have a 2.0 ruleset game going with my old DM right now teaching our boys how to play. Not open but if we ever spin one up and need a dork or two I'll let you know.

RocketsMAN! and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

WHOA, this is amazing!

I used to think about how D&D was like fantasy sports, but it wasn't until I saw Travis on Critical Role that made me think that there were folks on the BBS that were also into D&D. I DM face to face, but I'm often busy with being a functional adult father, I was looking for easier ways to get my fantasy fix. I have a friend who bought fantasy grounds and is trying to do the setup, but he's in the same boat of working too hard and not spending enough time to get his setup right.

I'd love to play face to face, but I never played a module and my campaign is all homebrew, just to get the party up and running. I've most recently gotten 2 games into this campaign, and it's almost been a year since game one, ugh.

If I get the group together, we're already 4+me, and some can't make it, I'll give you guys a shout. I'm not ready to DM for a big party yet as I'm learning on 5e. I played in the 90's one or two games and again in the 00's one or two games, but Critical Role really made me wanna play again.

I'll see you guys around.

Is it Thursday yet?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Xerobull

D&Diesel with Vin Diesel and a couple of the players from the Critical Role series & a couple of people from the Nerdist (including Jessica Chobot)

RocketsMAN! likes this.
  18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I've watched them all.
    There's one with Terry Crews.

19. SemisolidSnake

Oh, hey, a Critical Role thread. Critical Role got me to start playing D&D, which I've been doing for about 2.5 years now. Ironically, I don't have time to watch CR anymore, because I'm actually playing D&D. Stuck on about Episode 81 or 82 of Season 1. Have only watched maybe 4 episodes of Season 2. Nearly everyone I play with, some of whom DM me now, started by watching CR. I felt like I had a bit of a leg up in my first ever D&D session having watching Critical Role and seeing how rangers play.

Fun personal story: I'd been seeing Matt Mercer and Travis and Laura at anime cons for a while and started to hear stories about a game they play with their voice actor friends DMed by Matt, "the best DM ever." So I started asking for stories from their private game whenever I'd see any of them and got some juicy ones out of them. I thought, man, they should really film this; it sounds amazing. Maybe a year or two later, Critical Role exists, and the game they'd been playing and telling stories about is the game they continue all the way through Season 1. So, I knew what Laura's bear was named and how her husband once almost accidentally killed it before CR ever even existed.

It's an absolute gem and I think really is the catalyst for the "tabletop revolution" that's going on right now. Works great in podcast form (which they have), although I think it's worth watching a few video episodes to get a feel for the players and the characters. Someday, I'll get back to it.

20. Xerobull

That's a cool story. The world is really small when you talk to everyone you meet.

I don't think this web show is the catalyst for the tabletop renaissance. I think it's

1. The rise of Euro games, which aren't 'kill each other' but rather 'achieve goal' or 'achieve goal together' games, which makes board games more appealing to a wider group of people, especially women. They're my wife's favorite type of board-game. If your wife or lady friend or whatever is on-board with game night, it's an easy sell. I've never had more fun putting together a stained glass window than I did playing a Euro style game called Sagrada with my wife and son.

2. Kickstarter games REALLY have bumped up the quality level and competition for good games. It's not uncommon to pay $500 for a board game with massive amounts of things to do. Everyone wants to play these games. It's lead to more and more complex AND fun games coming out.

3. The 80's craze- we see the kids in Stranger Things playing D&D every season. In fact, my DM was re-buying everything on eBay recently because he lost most of his stuff in Hurricane Ike and he said old-school games like D&D are way more expensive than they used to be due to this trend.

This show is really a nice outcome of these factors and it certainly helps encourage gaming since they're all attractive people.