1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene on "Indefinite Leave"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/12/nene-goes-on-indefinite-leave/

Nene goes on indefinite leave

Players told his medical problem 'could be' serious

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)

Nuggets forward Nene has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the team because of a medical condition one player said the team was told "could be" serious.

The Nuggets made the announcement on Nene's leave about a half- hour before their home game Friday night against Orlando. The team did not reveal the nature of his condition.

"When I heard it (Friday) morning, that could have been either one of us," Nuggets guard Anthony Carter said after scoring 14 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter of Denver's 113-103 win. "It almost brought tears to my eyes. . . . He's like a brother to me."

Carter said he doesn't know what the issue is but that Nuggets coach George Karl told the team Friday morning it "could be" serious.

Karl said "nothing is definitive" as of yet as to what's wrong with Nene. Karl said he still must undergo some tests, and more should be known within a few days.

"I'm very upset that I have to put a little delay on being with the team to take care of my health," Nene said in a statement released by the team. "It is hard to go through when things seem to be going so well. I thank God that he showed me this issue, so I can take care of it. I want to get back on the court as soon as possible to help my teammates. My family and I ask that you respect our privacy during this time."

Karl said he did not speak to Nene on Friday but spoke to his personal manager, Alex Santos. Asked Friday night how Nene was doing, Santos said, "He's OK," but declined further comment.

Nene often has been injured during his six seasons in Denver. He missed all but one game in 2005-06 with a torn anterior cruciate ligament but signed a six- year, $60 million contract with the Nuggets in July 2006.

"I think everything's going to be OK, but there needs to be a strength, a support that comes with people just hanging out with him and making sure we're with him and want him back, need him back, need to get him back, and I think we will get him back," Karl said.

Several players said after the game Friday that they were planning to call Nene.

Forward Carmelo Anthony said he wants to "make sure (Nene) knows that the Nuggets and the whole organization has got (Nene's) back."

"Pray for him," is what forward Linas Kleiza said he'll do. "But he's a tough guy, strong mentally. I think he's definitely got to be able to get better. . . . You feel bad because you're kind of useless. You can't do nothing."

Rumor from a Brazilian paper is that he's undergoing surgery on Tuesday. The "source" that posts on Nugs fans boards knows what it is, but is sworn to secrecy due to federal laws.

2. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Cancer? Wow that sounds pretty serious. Hope he recovers

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wow thats pretty crazy. None of my business but I am curious as hell.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nuggets4, I was going to post this yesterday and ask you if it was cancer. Sounds like it.

5. Nuggets4

My gut instinct -- yeah, cancer. However, the Nugs are being VERY secretive about this. Apparently the players don't even know. I expect we'll hear something mid-week.

6. Nuggets4

According to a poster on a Nugs board that I don't really trust (the board, not the poster):

Globo Esporte (TV News) just reported that he (Nene) was operated for testicular cancer.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jH9vOJG4vBbCKvbQkEEOirdg_I4gD8U6DS9G0

8. Nuggets4

I was just coming to post that.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Here's hoping for the best.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Just Wow! Nene has just came back and started playing and what a quick setback. Anyway, health comes first. I wish him a quick recovery.

11. kikimama

kikimama Member

On the brightside, testicular cancer is the most curable type. It has a 95% successful rate as in leading back to a normal life if found in its early stages.

12. kikimama

kikimama Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3197423

Nene's Web site says he had tumor removed

Associated Press

DENVER -- Doctors removed a tumor from Nuggets forward Nene Hilario, according to the player's Web site Tuesday.

Nene

Nene

The statement said the surgery was done Monday at a Denver hospital, but it did not indicate whether the tumor was cancerous or where it was located.

Nene's medical team will discuss what to do next after getting test results expected by the end of the week, the statement said.

Nene, who is from Brazil, took an indefinite leave of absence Friday. The team hasn't released any information about his condition.

Nene is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery.

He missed all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and he missed 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

The Nuggets were scheduled to play the Hawks in Atlanta on Tuesday night after losing to the Bobcats 119-116 in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday.

13. jc1988

jc1988 Member

oh man.....pray for this guy....very sad

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Damn, sounds like cancer :(

Hope he gets better...!

15. lalala902102001

Hey, one can do with just one ball, can't he?

Jokes aside, my best wishes to Nene.

16. high5

high5 Member

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/nene_080117.html

Nuggets’ Nene’s Tumor Benign

DENVER, Jan. 17 (AP) -- The testicular tumor removed from Denver Nuggets forward Nene was benign, according to a statement posted on the player's Web site Thursday.

The tumor was removed Monday at a Denver hospital.

"The joint medical team handling Nene's health has just released the results of the biopsy,'' the Web site said. "According to reports presented by doctors, the exams show that the tumor is benign.''

The statement said more information would be released later Thursday.

Nene, from Brazil, took an indefinite leave of absence Friday. There is no timetable for his return.

Dr. Fernando J. Kim, who performed the surgery at Denver Health Medical Center, said earlier that a "right testicular mass was found incidentally and it was managed surgically.''

The tumor was found last week in an exam by team physician Dr. Saurabh Mangalik.

Nene had said the tumor was found at an early stage and indicated he expected to recover.

"I want to thank my fans, my teammates, the Nuggets organization and everyone that's been supporting me,'' he said in a statement released before the tumor was found to be benign. "My victory will represent their victory as well.''

Nene is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery. He was out for all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing a knee ligament, and he was sidelined for 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well Steve did get Miranda pregnant on only one testicle

18. chonox

chonox Member

not really related to thread, but omg at denver, kleiza goes off for 40+ and marcus camby with 11 BLOCKS and 24 or so rebounds inc. 7 offenseive boards? WTH!!!

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

Well he's done for the season.

20. Nuggets4

Not necessarily. It's benign, so some in the front office think he'll be back in a month.