1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene is back at square one in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 1, 2017.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Bogut is broken glass though Nene is getting to become a broken glass too. If Nene decides to go elsewhere, i say re-sign Tarik Black

RocketsTruth likes this.
  2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

lol NeNe being Elite come on now, and yes Harden did make him look good, he signed for the vet min last year and is trying to sign for 15 million now. harden set up nene on those pick and rolls/ pick and pops. If you ask me i say let Nene go elsewhere we need a big man that play everyday.. not another dwight situation

3. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

most of it was, did you watch the games

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

The center is the last line of defense. Defense and rebounding is what matters the most for a center.

I couldn't care less if nene is averaging 20 ppg, none of that matters if your center can't stop anyone from scoring in the paint.

You must think brook Lopez and al Jefferson are good centers too lol.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The other dude did not say that

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you do the math on Cp3's new salary before you spouted bs about resigning him rather than trading for him?

7. hakeemthagreat

How many Rocket games did you watch last year? Nene was a difference maker on BOTH ends of the floor. His defense, rebounding & scoring were all solid. To say Bogut is "clearly" better is just inaccurate & plain dumb. Bogut is a solid defender (translation flopper) with absolutley no postgame or midrange jumper. You have to be smarter than this fam

8. aroundtheblock2

Thing is, Bogut has been hurt most of his career only playing 82 games in one season, his first season in the NBA as a rookie. He's also shown a clear aversion to the Rocket's uptempo style of play. Nene has proven he can play in our system and doesn't have near the injury history of Bogut. Nene over Bogut is a no-brainer at this point in their careers.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Nene would thrive even more with the addition of CP. There may not be a team, Warriors included where he is a better fit or could be more productive. I'm not going to tell anyone how much money they need so if he leaves for a couple million, more power to him. It seems like it'd be a mistake though.

10. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Sign zach Randolph for backup plan

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Should of kept DMo.

davidio840 and justtxyank like this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

As a big fan of Morey, Im starting to think he miscalculated here, salary caps and contracts are supposed to be his strong suit. If he had NeNe sign before July 1st, that contract would have been valid since the rule went into effect today? If this is the case, I am starting to lose faith in DM. People knock him for his inability to get the right players through FA or through the draft, but there are variables out of his control in those circumstances at times. However, this is something he had control of and messed up?

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's undeniable that we should be together...

Russjr2 and DreamShook like this.
  14. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

No, the Over-38 rule used to be the Over-36 rule. Which means he wouldn't have been able to get a 4 year contract before the 1st either.

rgw20014life likes this.
  15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Oh ok, but Morey and Co still proposed a deal and ended up realizing it wasn't possible?

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm sick about this. Ne is very disappointed and values loyalty and follow through.

I called him earlier and he said he wasn't in the mood to talk. Normally, he won't shut up.

Someone will lose their job over this error.

I have a good feeling he will still be a Rocket, but I don't blame him if he moves on.

You don't miscalculate a deal, offer it and then take it away. It makes everyone feel like a dick.

Lauren is even angrier. I don't blame her.

ZJP3, Yung-T, Fullcourt and 12 others like this.
  17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just give him his money over 3 years with year3 as non guareeenteed

BigMaloe and kwakmeister like this.
  18. psman2

psman2 Member

That would require the MLE to be used.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I'm all onboard with that. MLE is overvalued here IMO with everyone wanting it used on 1 player instead of spread around

BigMaloe and Jayzers_100 like this.
  20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The only thing I can guess is that they weren't aware the rule applied to the season he actually turns 38 (which would be the 4th year of the deal)

It's still an incredibly stupid oversight by the front office, and I don't blame Nene one bit for being upset about it. I really hope they can find a way to work it out because I loved watching him on this team and he is a major part of their chances to contend.

It is really ironic, though, that the very rule change that gives them the opportunity to sign Chris Paul to a 5 year max deal is the same exact rule change that hurts their ability to offer Nene that 4th year.