1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Neil Rackers meets with Redskins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>NFL sources confirm Kicker Neil Rackers, an unrestricted free agent, met today with the Washington Redskins.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/194582979182469120" data-datetime="2012-04-24T00:26:12+00:00">April 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. HPD

HPD Member

good get rid of 'em

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And replace him with? Gotta have a contingency plan. We still had Kris Brown on the roster when we brought in Rackers.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Randy Bullock by the end of the week is my bet.

5. 713

713 Member

Its so hard to find a dependable kicker especially if hes a rookie. We should just look thru free agency....

6. The Cat

I've never understood this belief. Are there any stats that indicate that rookie kickers have struggles relative to veterans? I certainly haven't noticed it. The Eagles drafted Alex Henery in the fourth round a year ago and he excelled. Kicker is the one and only position where there is no learning curve from college to the NFL. It's having the power and accuracy to reliably put a ball between the goalposts. If there's an elite college kicker that you can upgrade your incumbent with, do it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I agree with that but I also don't believe in using a draft pick (even a seventh) I've looked about 20 different 7 rd mocks and only one had a kicker projected to be picked (not Bullock)

There's about 6-7 good kickers and I doubt any of them get drafted.

8. Commodore

Randy Bullock, Kicker, Texas A&M, 5’9″ 212 lbs.

Considered the premier kicker coming out of college football (Lou Groza Award Winner) and also from Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Alma Mater, this could possibly be a fit for the young kicker, especially with no signed kicker on the active roster. (Source: Jason Braddock per Pro Football Talk)

9. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

6th or 7trh round draft pick?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd be fine is we used a 6th or 7th on Bullock. Kicker is an important position and its not like we do much with our 6th or 7th round picks anyways.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

disagree..we've found solid depth there. It's hit or miss, but Brice McCain, Troy Nolan, Kasey Studdard, Zac Diles, David Anderson, Dominique Barber (not the worst backup for a year or 2)...and I think Derek Newton has a chance to be a decent backup this year? That's 6-7 guys in the last 6 years of 6th & 7th rounders.

I would like Bullock, but I would also like him as an undrafted FA..

12. The Cat

Seven-round mocks are the dumbest things in the history of dumb. Once you get beyond the first two or three rounds, it's a crapshoot. It comes down to individual team needs, philosophies... there's no point to even trying. There will be dozens of players graded in the "fourth to fifth round" range that go undrafted. There will be dozens of players graded in the "undrafted" range that do get selected.

Teams are progressively using more and more picks on punters and kickers. The Eagles used a fourth on Henery a year ago, and I don't think they're regretting it. I don't think the Texans will go that high for Bullock, but I don't mind if they use a 6th or 7th to prevent the risk of another team snatching him before undrafted invites. (By the way, here's one of many projections that has him as high as a 6.)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012K.php

13. kaleidosky

yeah I will say I'd like him drafted in the 6th rather than someone else getting him. I do want the Texans to grab him. Was just trying to illustrate that you can get solid depth out of the 6th and 7th--we actually do do something with those picks

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A good kicker is more important than all of those guys.

15. kaleidosky

reasonable enough. But if he's no better than a FA kicker or Rackers, I would disagree. And plenty of new kickers come to the NFL and are out within 1-2 years because they're not as good as the veteran FA's. So, I hope they're sure

16. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Free agent kicker Neil Rackers tells FOX 26 Sports he has ageed to a 1 year deal with the Redskins.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/194926246860308480" data-datetime="2012-04-24T23:10:13+00:00">April 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Garner

Garner Member

I need the draft now.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good. The mass exodus continues.

19. Garner

Garner Member

Agreed- if there was one thing my sports fan balls were looking for, it was more blue.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No Kicker is definitely an important position, but Bullock is not worth a pick. He could counted on to probably kick a very high percentage to about 40-43 yds, and then be hit or miss for anything longer than that. If you draft him, the guy should have the leg and confidence to really get those 50 yd FG's.

Undrafted FA maybe, but there better be someone else with a legit chance to make the team there too.