1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Neighbor steals my mom's cat and gloats about it.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

3. Blatz

Close but no...

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What did I miss? :grin:

Trespassing?

5. Blatz

Neighbor is negligent and then abandons the cat for 10+ months.

6. SwoLy-D

^ OK.

Yes, but what does that legally mean for OPs mom...? Can she just willy-nilly just take the at, without being a rightful owner? :confused: Can I just grab any pet in the street because I believe their rightful owner is negligent, without first getting it properly transferred as ownership?

7. Blatz

I would think she gave up ownership when she moved away and left it for 10+ months and we will find out when the judge hears the case.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm curious as I've never owned a cat or dog, how does cat ownership even work, i mean do you have like a certificate or something when you purchase it.

9. SwoLy-D

OP already admitted it was the neighbor's cat. That in itself is the incrimination. It is accepting THEIR ownership. :eek:

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

LOL..... First World Problems..... :grin:

Kingwood residents terrorized by herds of feral hogs

Large ruts and torn up grass is all that is left of some Kings Point subdivision residents’ yards. They are being terrorized by a herd of wild hogs.

11. updawg

updawg Member

The original owner abandoned it. They don't own the catany more. The op's mom took on the responsibility of caring for it so she is the owner.

Maybe the cop could throw in some animal cruelty charges also for the daughter

12. SwoLy-D

^ Good point. That would be for a judge to decide. :cool:

13. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

When I lived in Louisiana, our neighbor across the street had one of the most awesome & friendly cats. He was mostly outdoor but wore a collar. One night, a neighbor neither of our families knew well, had a wedding in their backyard. There were lots of cars parked in the street. The cat's owners happened to be driving by that night to see a family that attended the wedding putting their cat in their car!

The people stealing the cat's reply was, "But we love him."
    The owners took their cat home, but he disappeared the next week. They suspected the family came back to steal him. The cat never had a history of disappearing.

Also, while living there, my family took in a little kitten that we thought was a stray on a freezing cold night. A calico who'd run to jump & lay in my lap when I'd start playing the piano, and sit on my head when I would on the couch. I loved that kitten. It was my first pet. 10 days after we had the kitten, and had bought a bunch of cat crap and even a stupid kitten stocking (it was near Christmas) we saw a sign at the front of our subdivision for a missing calico kitten. It ended up being someone who lived like 8 houses down the street. She came to the house, I was an 10-11 year old kid crying, & she took the kitten from my hands. But really, wait 10+ whole days before putting up signs for a missing kitten? Yeah, they must've really cared for it. I had never met these people before until then. They were terrible pet owners. Disgusting outdoor conditions for their rabbit cages, and seemed to neglect this cat we gave back to them.
    I know 10 days, is not a year like for your mom, but that just ripped my heart out as a kid. My first pet going to a worse off home.

I hear some of those Katy neighborhoods off 99 are having the same problem. You need to get a pack of Dogo Argentinos.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/zOgoJ25yyTM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/zOgoJ25yyTM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

People can be pretty ****ty at times.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

See, I don't know. Morally, it should be pretty black and white, but there are no papers nor documents to reference, insofar as the ownership goes (unless the OP left that part out in his post).

Negligence of any living thing is horrible, along with the cruelty exhibited by the neighbors of the OP's mom. And I think justice will come to the guilty party, but I don't think it'll go as far as the 18 year old daughter being jailed. That's pretty extreme.

Community service in the form of volunteering at an animal shelter for X hours, maybe. But jail? That's a stretch.

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. If somebody treated my mother this way, they'd spend the afternoon spitting up bloody Chicklets.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't know. A short jail term is less extreme than the ass kicking I think would be appropriate.

18. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

God Swoly, you suck.

1 person likes this.
  19. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I don't like cats at all but this one is a beautiful cat... hope your mom gets reunited soon with her cat.

20. SwoLy-D

Why? :confused: We need a clear story.

There are lots of legal ramifications here and some factors the OP might be skipping. There are probably more holes in this story than penises that have entered Miley Cyrus.