1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Needing Advice...House Broken Into

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CheezeyBoy22, May 28, 2010.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On Wednesday my house was broken into. The robbers stole my flat screen, PS3 (Red Dead Redemption was inside), my girl's brand new labtop, broke the AC unit, broke my turtlebeach headset, broke my Wii, went through the kid's toys, and went through all the closets. I have insurance on the house but I have a high deductable which is going to cut into replacing everything. I have insurance through State Farm. To top everything off, they stole a spare set of keys I had for the house and the gates.

I called it in at 7 that night but no one came till 1:00 AM. The police were able to get a print off the Wii. I had all the serial numbers. I went to a bunch of pawn shops yesterday. Some of them spoke with me but I ran into a pawn shop where they were acting really crappy. I had a family member go in later and she was able to get the manager to speak. The manager described the labtop but wouldn't let us see. I went across the street and got a police officer to go over there but it turns out they had nothing. The cops told me that more than likely I'll know something sooner rather than later if it turns up at the pawn shop.

Overall, I'm pretty depressed about the whole situation. A lot of things doesn't make sense since they left all the games, xbox, wii, tons of movies, and a lot of the accessories to the PS3. I know they were looking for weapons. So right now i'm pricing everything to make sure I get the money I deserved. I've changed all the locks out already. My lady doesn't feel safe anymore. She forgot to turn on the alarm before she left.

So how many of have gone through this and what should I expect? I just need some advice if possible with the insurance claim.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would you think they were looking for weapons?

Why break your AC?

Weird

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah breaking your stuff seems like a real dick move.

Change your locks asap and get another dead bolt or two.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pocket Rockets

Sorry to hear about this Cheezeyboy.

I had someone break into my house last august through the back door. Fortunately the alarm went off and they only took my xbox (dropped one of the controllers in the backyard) and my itouch. Had two labtops sitting wide open on the coffee table too.

Well the cops came by and and did their due diligence but nothing came about from the pawn shops. I did contact farmers insurance but my deductible was also high and had no choice but to chuck it up as a loss. The insurance claim agent couldnt really help me once she realized the amounts didn't reach the deductible. However, i do have a friend who is an agent at state farm and she told me that state farm is a bit more generous on pricing losses than most others. So you should have that in your favor.

Once i fixed the back door and added a gate lock I feel a bit more safe, however I have been considering installing a camera system (even a fake one) to at least deter any potential robbers.

Good Luck and do what you can to make your family feel safe.

1 person likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that man.

I swear to God, if someone ever, EVER tried to break into my house when I was home, they better be armed, because either they or I'd be dead by time it was all said and done. A person's home is sacred ground, and the second you encroach upon that, is the second you deserve whatever happens to you.

1 person likes this.
  6. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Because they were going through all my cigar boxes that I have.

As for the AC, I have the window units right now. They tore the window unit out to get in. It was secured pretty good as well.

7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Go purchase a gun asap incase they come back. Also if I was you id consider getting a dog something like a pit, doverman, rottweiler..

1 person likes this.
  8. dafranchise0309

Real sorry to hear that but I remember when I was in high school someone stole my CD player but left me the CD right from my locker. :(

1 person likes this.
  9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Dude that suck. You're going to need an alarm system to deter anyone from entering.

I think you need to approach the pawn shops with an attitude that you are looking for some new toys and less like you've lost something. Approach them in a way and ask them if they could contact you if some new stuff arrive that yuo might find to your interests. Do not give away the sense that you're looking for stolen goods.

1 person likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When you speak with your insurance company, simply be honest and report everything (do not report more than what was stolen as that could come back to bite you). If you speak with them over the phone, be aware that they are probably recording the call and may not tell you until you are finished. That is what happened to me when my wife's car was broken into.

Do your own research on the cost to replace stuff. Find the MSRP and not some sale price.

1 person likes this.
  11. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I'm considering installing a camera system.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You better secure your AC units.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad:

I was so mad I stopped reading there. :mad:

I find it odd that the ONE DAY that she forgets the alarm, the thieves know about it. :eek:

It's probably someone you know... tellin' someone you DON'T know... about what you have in the house... it's not your or your lady's fault, though. I hope they find those p*tos.

Did you mention HOW they broke in?

14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I'm changing all the locks as we speak. It's covered by the insurance company. I called a locksmith at first but they wanted to charge me like $500 to fix everything.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A lot of people keep cash and jewelry in boxes like that. No shocker there.

My guess is they only had so much they could carry, which is why they left so many items. That also means they are most likely going to sell what they stole. Keep an eye on Craigslist in addition to the pawn shops.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Wow, thats horrible. Good Luck trying to solve the crime. Sounds like it could be someone you know.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

sorry to hear about that cheeseboy. Be extra diligent for the next few months.

They know you have great toys, and will likely soon have a brand new flatscreen, PS3 and laptop. I know several people who, once they've been broken into one time, get a return visit after they've had a chance to replace their stuff....

18. SunsRocketsfan

add akita to the list :) Great guard dogs and also great companions

1 person likes this.
  19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Missed the part that you do have an alarm. Looks like you're being watched and seems like they know their spot.

20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

The insurance lady told me to spend the whole weekend going through everything. She said the paperwork I need to fill out will be here on Tuesday. She also stated that I needed to do my own research on what I own.

I had people tell me that I should add extra things to the list to offset the deductable. I'm not an ass like that though. I hate when people scam stuff.