1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Need to lose some weight?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tharges, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. raj87

raj87 Member

Oops, I skipped over the fact that the OP has a back issue. Please disregard my rowing tip. Walking is probably your best bet.

2. tharges

tharges Member

That is awesome, what foods did you eat? I can do the cereal but what about lunch and dinner?

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wouldn't necessarily start with exercise, that will just cause you to work up an appetite.

Start by getting rid of the sugar and flour in your diet and see what happens.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

3 words: life style change

Dieting might get you to lose weight, but it will always come back.

It takes years of bad eating habits to gain that weight. Don't expect to lose them over night. Be patient

Everyones body is different. Some will shed it with exercise, others with more frequent smaller meals while others can do it with starving themselves. Find what works for you.

Know your weaknesses. Don't eat 6 hours before bed if you know you're going to be hungry again in 5 hours. Don't eat 5 smaller meals a day if you know you're going to eat more than just "small".

Cut back on the non important things. For example, right now Im trying to drastically cut back on fried foods. Make your calories count. There is no point in eating a salad if you're going to douse it in moderate or high calorie dressing. I have tried kicking red meats, but it remains, that I really like my meats. I have cut back on the sodium and grease in exchange. My foods taste bland, but I feel somewhat satisfied 30 mins later.

Keep food in your body. I used to have the habit of eating once a day and i was never hungry. The problem was that I would eat 3-4 times what I should be eating for that one meal. I started to consistently eating 3 meals a day, and while my calorie intake might be slightly higher sometimes, I am no longer eating those chips and other snacks that I "forget" about. I simply have no urge to buy junk food anymore.

And lastly, I don't "diet". Right now my goal is to keep my weight in check and not to continue to add to it. I continually make small changes. For example, its taken me about 4 months to figure out how much breakfast I need to hold me over until lunch. I continue to cut back on on the bad stuff, like fried foods, sodas and sodium. I will have a week where I do very well and I can almost get off five pounds, then the next week i'll wreck it horribly putting on a couple extra over my limit. I don't beat myself over it, i just get back on track. All in all, I feel better than I did 6 months ago, regardless that I haven't lost weight(nor gained). I could simply go on a diet and loose that weight, but I know i'll just add it right back on. I simply continue to reduce that crap out of my diet and eventually I'll get down to where i want to be.

5. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

First of all, starving yourself (or eating once a day) is not going to get the job done. You HAVE to eat periodically. Eat breakfast; there's nothing better than having breakfast. It can even be your most flexible meal, in terms of carbs + protein. Always carry with you snacks and water. Drink PLENTY of water. And dont listen to the dude that said not to eat 6 hrs before bed. I lost 60 lbs and I would always have a late snack like cereal. Remember this, it's 70% nutrition 30% exercise.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Try to walk places. Just walk a lot in general (and use public transit!).

Try to force yourself to limit the amount of food you eat at night, which means eat a BIG lunch, and a small dinner.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I cut out my morning red bull/monster/rockstar or whatever I felt like picking up in the monring this past January since dropped about 20lbs. (230 to 210)

I also cut out the late night snacks

I've also been running alot but I did that last year too and saw little results...

Now I'm semi satisfied with my weight (6'3) and trying to put on some muscle which I'm pretty clueless on...

But in terms of losing weight just be patient make small goals and just let them add up overall time and of course watch what you eat.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/exi7O1li_wA#t=0m34s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

For lunch, sometimes it's a Smart Ones microwave meal, or leftovers from the night before. My wife has gotten really creative with her meals. Wheat pasta, brown rice, and very little red meat if any. Chicken, fish or just all vegetables. Also, water is 97 % of what I drink, that has been since my kidney cancer. And for the ounces of water, just take your weight, divide by two, and that is how many ounces.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So now that you've read some replies and gotten the same usual sound advice mixed with mythology, what are you planning to do?

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Base as many meals as you can around egg whites, lean protein (chicken/salmon/tilapia), colorful vegetables, oatmeal, and low-sodium beans.

Steamer bags of vegetables are really convenient. You can often eat the whole bag for <150 calories. And it gives you 3-4 heart healthy servings and a good amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber.

Top 3 easy tips for dropping weight:

1. Drink mostly water
    2. Avoid sugar as much as possible
    3. Pay attention to your food and consciously try to eat slower

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Low carbs, no sugars.

DD

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You need to post more information about your lifestyle.

There's a ton of variables involved and not everyone gains or gained weight for the same reasons. Although the basic idea is to burn more calories or eat less, there's different ways of achieving that. Not everyone is the same. The first thing you should do is look at your own diet and lifestyle and pick it apart. Find out what YOU are doing and not what worked for what everyone else was doing.

A good way to start is to ask yourself how the weight came about. Did you gain 40 pounds ten years ago and just never got it off? Or did you gain 5 pounds every year, for 8 years, and now have 40 extra pounds. Both were not caused by the same actions, so they'll need different solutions.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

tapeworms?

2,4 DNP?

starvation?

where there's a will theres a way, I know you'll make it work.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

oh, and a liter of coke before bed helps too. :grin:

16. Asian Sensation

You're asking a board that can't go a week without talking about Fast Food, argues over who has the best burger and posts about their fat kid cravings for diet advice.

If that wasn't enough....You know you're asking the wrong place when DD is giving diet advice.

2 people like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Go to Africa.

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Lots of good advice here.

But one you really need to take to heart is as someone said earlier, Life Style Change.

Eating, living, schedule, friends, etc... Commit. Commit. Commit.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

At least a gallon of water a day.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Life style change as others posted. I did this for myself last year. I weigh in at 294 lbs and now I'm currently at 173lbs. It took me 7 months because I was strict.

I eat normally 2400 calories a day while drinking at least 80 ounces of water. You must walk and be active. Eating once day and eating late will pack on pounds. The other thing that packed on pounds for myself was drinking beer. Beer really adds into your calories count.