1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need more than just an Elite big.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Master_GM, May 4, 2010.

1. Master_GM

Master_GM Member

I know theres all this talk, about Bosh, Brad miller, etc... and us needing a legit big man or at least decent back up for yao. but ive noticed no one has mentioned our 2 guard spot. Is Jermaine taylor really gonna be our guy right behind martin for the 2? I dont think the guy is ready to be honest, and with martin also known for being injured, we would be extremely thin at the 2. And no, i do not ever want to see ariza being shifted to the 2 guard again, he is strictly a small forward. I didnt forget about CBudd either, but honestly hes built like a small forward, and ive noticed when chase played the 2 this past year he was burned constantly and his game wasnt as smooth..but when playing small forward he was solid. and i like the lowry brooks combo, with brooks playing the 2.. .. but cmon our defense is bad enough already...and if we do end up getting bosh or jefferson or who ever, were gonna loose are picks thats for sure. So where does this leave us? i say we trade ariza or battier(if we dont loose him via trade) for a good shooting guard for example JR smith or roney brewer. tell me what you guys think and if we really need to give up a piece of what we have for a legit back up 2.

Thanks for reading.
    ( my first post btw, my bad if it sounds noobish)

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Backup shooting guard is probably priority #395248 on Morey's list of to-do things. It also ranks about the same when it comes to contributing to a possible championship run.

If Martin is injured, we basically have no chance at a championship. No possible backup 2 would change that.

3. Master_GM

Master_GM Member

no back up 2 would help? SO lets say we did get JR smith this off season, and lets say god forbid martin gets injured, having JR start and doing what he does best wich is score since we would have lost a great scorer in martin, is not as good as just standing pat with what we have?

i dont think so.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Pickup Xavier Henry in the draft.

Problem solved.

5. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Why not just let Chase step up?
    Plus, JR is one of the streakiest players in the league.
    Doesnt go to the rim much, and when he does, wont convert if hes contested. This guy can only make open layups and when he can dunk.

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

as Morey said, everyone has to improve his defense, so it's clear that even if we get someone like Bosh we still need to be much stronger defensively
    without that we're gonna struggle
    cause we're gonna be good offensively but will have real problems defensively

7. Master_GM

Master_GM Member

because next season there isnt room for " stepping up and see what happens " if we get Bosh or jefferson by next season. we need to contend period and have a SERIOUS run in the play offs. no time for experimenting. besides Cbudd is a SF, dont do a caron butler on him and put him as a shooting guard, hes not.
    we need a solid back up shooting guard who can score and play at least decent defense. JR smith was just an example( although he plays bad defense) im mainly talking like a ronney brewer or mike miller.

8. Master_GM

Master_GM Member

Im not buying that line from Morey. I know for the past decade, the team has always focused more on defense. But things are not making sense according to what morey tells us fans. Half way through the season, he said our defense needs alot of work, then he traded for martin? terrible defense. now its the off season, and we all expected morey to go after a guy whos stricly defense.. like a big ben kinda guy... then we here about him interested in brad miller? brad miller has always been a sub-par defender and a decent rebounder at best....and now bosh? lol bosh is worse than miller on defense and is below average in defense overall. so idk what Mr Morey is thinking... he probably has a big surprise for us as always..

9. deleah09

deleah09 Member

Anthony Morrow or Rudy Fernandez would be great pick-ups Morrow can shoot lights out,rebound and a young guy that doesn't need a lot of mins and Rudy is a versatile guy can play the 1,2 or 3 he brings a change of pace and energy kind of like how wafer did last season both player would fit in great Morrow a Ra free agent and its said Rudy is unhappy in Portland he could be had Morey could make it happen ;)

10. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Why can't budinger play SG? He defends both positions about the same.
    So you dont want Budinger to play PG because you don't know what will happen with him, but your okay with JR Smith, one of the STREAKIEST players in the league?

11. Master_GM

Master_GM Member

I'd take JR Smith backing up Martin at the 2 over Bud anyday. And I'm sure 90% of the people on here would agree with me. Your making it seem like I want Cbudd to rot at the end of the bench or something. Not the case at all, I want chase to be the guy behind Ariza or battier( wich ever one gets traded ) at the 3. Because it's his natural position, and he plays alot better overall when he plays SF.

12. Trip

Trip Member

We've got Martin/Ariza/Budinger/Battier to split the 96 minutes at the 2 and 3. I think what we have now is already a surplus. If you're presuming that we'll lose one of them to possibly land Bosh, I'm sure we can somehow extract an Antoine Wright or Sonny Weems from the Raptors. Not much of an upgrade over Taylor but for 10 minutes a game it's more than adequate.

13. VBG

VBG Member

I think you're asking for too much. Every team has a weakness somewhere and I honestly don't think our bench is a weakness.

14. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Ok, sure I understand where your coming from. JR Smith Would be a better backup 2 than Chase, I definitely agree with you there.

But the problem is, HOW would we get JR Smith? I don't see any way we can get him without giving up any of our core players.

15. Pocket Rockets

Chase is more than capable of playing the 2 guard position for 10-15 minutes a game. He is one of our best shooters from long range and can run with an uptempo team. He's very versatile. Unless you have specific stats to back up your claim on Chase performing poorly as a 2-guard vs. a small forward, then you can't dispute his ability to play either position well.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

he did a pretty good job guarding Kobe... I think his D is ready... his offense was never a question... he'll be good off the bench.

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yeah, we need more.

Behind Yao, we need Dwight Howard.
    Behind Bosh, we need Boozer.
    Behind Ariza... well, Ariza should be behind LeBron.
    Behind Martin... well, Martin should be behind Wade.
    Behind Aaron Brooks... hmm, we should get Deron Williams and have Brooks be his back-up.

WE NEED MORE!!~!!!!!1

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Not enough, that team has first round exit written all over it.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Martin is gonna play a a lot of minutes at SG, I would rather Chase get all the backup minutes at both SG and SF

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You don't need 2 all stars at every position to win. The Lakers have Lamar Odom and garbage coming off the bench, and they are probably gonna win their second title. Budinger, Ariza, Battier, Martin that's 4 guys who are capable of playing shooting guard. Even Brooks played a little at the 2 this year. Needless to say, not a priority.

I don't want anything to do with that loser J.R. Smith (biggest waste of talent in the league)