1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need lineup change: Jeff Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hakeemtheking, Mar 5, 2020.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

its funny so many wanting his minutes increased or to even be a starter when before he was signed the strong majority of you were saying he was trash and rockets had no use for him. crazy

beardsanity713 and D-rock like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

not exactly. a number of us have posted, including myself when he was available after 2017 season for the rockets to sign him. but nah instead the rockets chose pretty much the worse summer of acquisitions ever and did they ever need some guys off the bench to give the rockets something in the playoffs. it was rivers/shump at moments and that was it. smh

one of many

even @pippendagimp

#142 YOLO, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    fattz and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not me. I advocated for signing him.

The strongest dissent is from the posters who said Green was washed up and useless.

fattz and saleem like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Posters/fans/media couldn't have accumulated more success than Morey/MDA/Harden with the talent/money at their disposal. You are thinking about a championship even though we have the 5th or 6th most talented roster. That's thanks to making adjustments before the rest of the league and forcing the league to adjust to us.

I agree with MDA's theory. You don't adjust to the opponent. You make them adjust to you. In all cases, it would be a shock that a player who gets lost on switches often will be a defensive stalwart for us. Unfortunately, we do not need his offense in our core rotation, we are already offensively historically elite. You have to admit, a guy whose career defensive stats are poor is not going to become a defensive player under MDA of all people. Like I said, would be nice, but to me it's far more likely Bruno will pan out, House will act more decisive or even Westbrook or Harden improving defensively.

jch1911 likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

dont speak for the people lol.. i for one knew he would be good for us. i for one knew mac would too. n i remember alot of people saying the same. green in the starter spot plugs way more holes then he causes...people complain about us being so small(taller then tucker) people said we tired of tuck guarding 4s.. now he goes back to his original position.

yall have to understand what you looking at...mda isnt going small cause he lives short guys lol. its because he didnt have tall guys that could stretch tge floor n switch when need be. green does those all while being tall lol. like i beensaying...ibaka is my dream five that im sure morey will target. .but in the mean time green goes alot of the same things...can run the floor, dribble pass n shot. is a legit roll man n can pick n pop. he is perfect for this team

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love for Bruno to be the solution as I am a big supporter but we are still being realistic right?

MDA has played and touted Green, that is the reality.

House is much better coming off the bench. The scrimmages prove that.

fattz likes this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's giving us great minutes right now. That's great because we don't have much frontcourt depth behind PJ and Covington. I don't think he should start. PJ and Covington are better defenders and we could use his versatility off the bench. Even if he did start would he be getting 30+ mpg? I don't think so.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he started he'd easily be getting around the 30 min mark or very close to it. he already gets 20 mins in his minutes off the bench

D-rock likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I don't think D-rock is saying that Jgreen replace Covington or Tucker in the starting 5

fattz, saleem and D-rock like this.
  10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Best defense is a great offense ... ask chiefs
    Plus at the end of the day, you still have to score more than the other team to win

D-rock likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is what I used to think 21 years ago, so you can imagine I'm not going to start believing one of defense or offense is more integral to winning. If scoring more is the objective, then stopping opponent baskets is as important as making your own.

saleem and jch1911 like this.
  12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Need to consider how the game has changed.
    Offense sells tickets and is rewarded more than ever before.
    But yeah... the James chase down block helped Cavs win... just like Kyrie hitting his big shot helped them win.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

BMac is more efficient with big 4 (offensively AND defensively) than House.

And Green has better ORT and DRT than BMac.

Small sample size be damned.

fattz likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It doesn't matter what makes more money, even if the game is reffed to prefer offense, stopping a bucket has the same impact as making one.

It's all old school mumbo jumbo. Facts: all but one championship team in the past 20 something years has been in the top 10 in BOTH offense and defense. We are always top 2 in offense in the league, as long as Harden plays (and when all healthy, historically elite). Defensively we're mediocre (around 15th). We can literally afford to replace scorers with defenders. Adding more scorers is going to be of marginal benefit.

Defense is what we need to focus on. I hope they give Caboclo some burn. At least his shotblocking could help if he can execute a defensive switch properly.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bruno or Luc returning to 2018 form would be ideal.

fattz and Mathloom like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Units featuring House and Russell Westbrook outscored teams by 5.4 points per 100 possessions in 2019-20. That mark dipped with House next to James Harden, though Houston still posted a positive margin in those minutes.

We shouldn't discount McLemore's chance of starting in Orlando, and not just because he was on the floor to begin the second half on Tuesday. The Kansas product has emerged as a dynamic offensive weapon in his first year with Houston, providing some serious spacing for the Rockets' superstars. But entering McLemore into the starting lineup may be more about completing Houston's rotation puzzle. Starting McLemore allows Danuel House to fill in as a backup forward, replacing either Robert Covington or P.J. Tucker during a first-quarter substitution. McLemore can't fill in for either pseudo big man off the bench, and Rivers is a natural enough replacement for McLemore if the Kansas product does indeed start. Houston's unconventional roster forces D'Antoni to play a game of rotation chess.

https://www.si.com/.amp-rockets/nba...er-rockets-rotation?__twitter_impression=true

It makes too much sense to have House come to play alongside Russ when Harden sits.

Same with BMac with Harden when Russ sits.

EGo starting position should be a big that can play with both Russ and Harden. Green can be roller, lob threat, 3P spacer, playmaker and rebounder - all skills that complement our 2 MVPs.

Green's chemistry with both players is evident. And Green playing 4/5 makes him a mismatch threat.

His length and athleticism make him a better rim defender than either House or McLemore.

That said, both Bruno and Luc would be much much better all round defenders and just as complementary to Brodie and Beard.

However neither player has D'Antoni's confidence at this time, for good reason.

fattz and RustyHarden like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's probably perfect in that role. He hasn't played 30+ mpg in five years, even when he was starting for the Wizards. He's like Austin Rivers, who is killing it in 24mpg but you don't want to see him get 30+.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

if that's true, that's just something we're going to have to find out. since being here and given minutes he has contributed very well and with the commitment to small ball he's that much more important. so long as that continues, regardless of the minutes that's just something you roll with. you don't just cap someones minutes bc you think that's all he can give you. you see where they can maximize their production and adjust accordingly. hes played well enough for extended minutes and that's what were going to see more of per MDA as the season restarts

D-rock and MrButtocks like this.
  20. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

From what I've seen. Bruno is unplayable. Praying Luc has some life left in him but neither should be considered realistic rotation players at this point.

saleem and D-rock like this.