1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Input] Bass Guitar Cover

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Guys I need constructive criticism only. I am barely starting out on the bass, and I need your input on this cover. The song is Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace. I am playing it in standard bass tuning (EADG) with a pick. The guitar is a Squire by Fender. I'm a full time student and I play in my free time. I know I suck, but I am looking to improve gradually. I am using a medium-grade webcam and I know the frames are kinda slow; I also need a better audio recorder. I was bored so I decided to do this. If anyone here plays the bass, I need input on what I need to do to get better. Thanx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egaayP9Fu5o

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You should join Ultimate-Guitar's forums. You'd be able to get the advice and everything else you would ever need there. Not saying you wouldn't here, but that community is a bit more suited to your need I think.

3. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not too bad, roxxfan. The main thing I'd suggest to work on is up stroke and down stroke picking. It looked like you were using all (or nearly all) down strokes. I'm sure google can find you a few good picking drills.

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Hey Roxxfan, fellow bassist here. I'm not familiar with the tune but I thought you sounded pretty good.

You should check out Talkbass.com. It is pretty much the Clutchfans of bass playing. Lot of guys there that have toured/done session gigs with some pretty famous artists. There is a thread there devoted to practice drills. Lots of great stuff in there.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I quit reading after " with a pick"

You aren't playing bass, you're playing a 4 string guitar. :p

6. roxxfan

This song is actually supposed to be played with a pick. But I will admit that I prefer using the pick over fingers, but I do play both ways

7. roxxfan

Thank you so much Stone Cold Hakeem :) This forum is pretty good and informative.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what SwitchHittEr said! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lawl. Just teasing...it wouldn't be a bass discussion without someone arguing pick vs fingers.

10. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I've been playing bass for more than 20 years... In my opinion, practicing with a metronome or a drum machine is essential. Once you get that internal metronome going, you will really notice a huge improvement in your playing. It also helps immensely when playing with a band. A bass player that can keep excellent time plus a drummer who can keep excellent time means that the rhythm section will be rock solid. (Then you can just make fun of those guitar players who never learn to keep time!) :)

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

Agreed. If you can keep a steady groove, you'll have no problem finding a good band to play with.

Also, diversify the genres you play. Adaptability is key.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Agreed, lots of guys will put a lot of work into fancy finger work on their fills and runs...but if you cant feel the groove and stay on the beat with your drummer...you aren't a good bassist.

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

+ 1 to the drum machine. Scales, drills, exercises...everything should be practiced to a beat.

If you're like me and prefer to practice to something more organic than a metronome, Jim Dooley's Youtube Channel has some excellent drum tracks to play along with at a variety of bpms.

On another note, you might also check out MarloweDK's youtube channel. Lots of excellent licks here in the funk/R*B/Pop realm.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is the closest thing I could find for a Bass Guitar cover:

[​IMG]

15. Win

Win Contributing Member

I think you are off to a good start. Obviously there is a confidence and timing issue that you CAN work out - I would take kpsta's above advice to heart. I noticed you were using all your left hand fingers, even the pinky and that is a very good sign. Keep it simple, stay confident, work hard. A good bass player is like gold to the right band.

16. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I watched a few more times and I have a few other suggestions for your left-hand technique.

1) If you keep your thumb on the middle of the neck (rather than creeping up over the top of the neck - it's visible in the video you posted), you'll find that initially it's more difficult and that your hand gets tired faster; however, your reach and dexterity with the left fingers on the fretboard will improve over time.

2) Keep the fingers on your left hand arched to where you're coming down on the strings, rather than flat across the strings. You'll build up hand strength and endurance better that way. You'll also be more precise.

3) When you fret a note with your left hand, try to do so right behind the fret rather than in the middle of the space between the frets. It sounds cleaner with less fret buzz or intonation problems. Plus, if you ever decide to play fretless bass or an upright bass, that's how you'll be playing in tune.

17. roxxfan

Thank you everyone, especially kpsta. I'm going to keep working hard. I hope I show some form of potential.